Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not just for his attacking stats which are decent returns.

Joint 3rd for assists
2nd for chances created
Best chances per 90 created ratio
More goals than Whyte, Kane, Williams & McGuane who all made a similar amount of appearances.
[Source - BBC]

They all scream play as a wing-back due to his defensive weaknesses but for whatever reason we only tried that minimal times (one being yesterday v Doncaster) and preferred to put Sykes/Williams in the wing-back position.

There is a very good player in there. He rightly, got taken out of the side when suffered a dip in form/confidence.
But in the final 10 games, he played twice, once as an emergency centre-back at Shrewsbury (we won) and then against Doncaster. He has not been a main part of the side that took 8 points from the final 8 games but personally feel he has been too easily shoehorned into this season's scapegoat figure despite barely playing in the final part of the season where we rather ballsed it up.

I agree that Seddon should probably have played more in the last couple of months when we decided to go with a wing back system.
Because he showed, over the course of 40 appearances this season, that he's got a good engine and does offer something going forwards.

Unfortunately, he also showed that he's not good enough defensively for a top-of-the-table League One side. Too many mistakes, poor positioning and limited defensive awareness.

Given we've ambitions at promotion, you ideally want everyone in your squad to be able to come in and play at a top-of-the-table League One level.

So unless KR has made the decision that we're going to play 5-3-2/3-5-2 as our base formation next year (which seems unlikely) then if someone else wants Seddon, then I think you let him go for free and try and bring in someone better.

If noone wants Seddon, then we're stuck with him.....which is not a disaster, but not ideal.

Long isn't a wing back, he's better at RCB as shown today.

Going of a 22 man squad excluding goalkeepers like this year I would build the team like this (note Golding doesn't count towards the squad due to being u21.

Gk: Stevens , Eastwood

Central defenders: Moore, Mcnally, Long , Golding, new player , new player (brown , thorniley, raggett etc)

Wing backs: Seddon, Forde, new player, new player

Defensive midfield: Gorrin , new player

Midfield: Henry, Brannagan, Mcguane New player, new player

Wingers/players behind the front 2: Bodin, Williams, Browne

Forwards : Taylor, Baldock , New player (Norwood/Stockton)

That is a 22 man squad capable at this level with plenty of cover for injuries, browne could be used in a front 2 so that's why I've only 3 front players.
It depends on who the 'new players' are. For me it's clear they have to be better than the players they would be replacing from this season if the ambition is automatic promotion, and that requires serious investment. We have to sign championship ready players and in positions where we need them not on a whim which KR sometimes does!!
If the board are happy to repeat what happened this season then just provide enough to keep us competitive in or around the play offs.

Why waste our time going with same again that’s failed when they’ve not produced when it really matters, Whyte summed up his season yesterday when he came on: gave the ball cheaply made the wrong decision at times & keep running into a blind alley, he was useless (just like his end product has been)
Plus Whyte pulled out of a header where he probably would have scored from.
I wouldn’t have him back. Don't know what Cardiff have done to him but he's not the same player that left here!!

Nicky Cadden
Been after him when he was L2 chance for him to go to a bigger club but chose to stay with the veggies, now promoted with the veggies and gave a rich owner so he may well stay there.

I agree that Seddon should probably have played more in the last couple of months when we decided to go with a wing back system.
Because he showed, over the course of 40 appearances this season, that he's got a good engine and does offer something going forwards.

Unfortunately, he also showed that he's not good enough defensively for a top-of-the-table League One side. Too many mistakes, poor positioning and limited defensive awareness.

Given we've ambitions at promotion, you ideally want everyone in your squad to be able to come in and play at a top-of-the-table League One level.

So unless KR has made the decision that we're going to play 5-3-2/3-5-2 as our base formation next year (which seems unlikely) then if someone else wants Seddon, then I think you let him go for free and try and bring in someone better.

If noone wants Seddon, then we're stuck with him.....which is not a disaster, but not ideal.

Sounds very much like we are going to 3 at the back for next season.

From 19:25
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0c0rs55

Nicky Cadden is the stand out but isn’t a natural left back (in league 2 team of the year 6 goals & 12 assist from Left Wing & Wingback) contract is up

Joe Iredale one of the best left backs in this league from Cambridge Utd contract is up also

Nesta Guinness Walker for AFC Wimbledon had a lot of interest in him last January

If so, we need 5 CBs in my opinion.

New RWB, McNally, Moore, Thorniley, Brown
Long as cover on the right and CB
Brown can play CB so Seddon covers for him
thats 5 + Golding.

Obviously just guessing about Thorniley and Brown but
that doesnt seem too shabby a back line.

Been after him when he was L2 chance for him to go to a bigger club but chose to stay with the veggies, now promoted with the veggies and gave a rich owner so he may well stay there.

No no no, that's not what happened.

FGR wouldn't sell for a reasonable price, in the summer or January, he is out of contract in the summer.

A front 3 of Holland Taylor Whyte should be ripping up this league, watching there performances against MK last Tuesday (a team aiming for automatic’s we inspire to be like next season) it was anything but

He’s on big money at Cardiff we’ve already paid a hefty fee in wages & loan fee have we really had value for money this season & do we want him back next season to be our top earner which he would be again
He maybe on high wages but I do rate him more than herbie and I'd rather spend the money getting whyte than herbie.
Herbie has been crap for a few months now. Or maybe we can look for new wingers

No no no, that's not what happened.

FGR wouldn't sell for a reasonable price, in the summer or January, he is out of contract in the summer.
The last 4 close seasons we were after him but maybe we could take a leaf out of their books over selling for a reasonable price? Cams buy out close I think is to cheap if the rumoured amount is to be believed.

Nicky Cadden is the stand out but isn’t a natural left back (in league 2 team of the year 6 goals & 12 assist from Left Wing & Wingback) contract is up

Joe Iredale one of the best left backs in this league from Cambridge Utd contract is up also

Nesta Guinness Walker for AFC Wimbledon had a lot of interest in him last January

For the right wing back position, we should be looking at

Steven Sessegnon - Plymouth Out of Contract this summer

Luther Wildin - Stevenage out of contract this summer

Josh Emmanuel - Hull out of contract this summer but Hull do have an option to trigger another year.

He maybe on high wages but I do rate him more than herbie and I'd rather spend the money getting whyte than herbie.
Herbie has been crap for a few months now. Or maybe we can look for new wingers
Sorry but Whyte had a chance to show what we missed the first time he was here, and he hasn’t shown that.
I’ve jot been to impressed with Herbie but as other have said he’s been playing DM and he’s an attacking midfielder.

The last 4 close seasons we were after him but maybe we could take a leaf out of their books over selling for a reasonable price? Cams buy out close I think is to cheap if the rumoured amount is to be believed.

No we were only after him last summer and looked again January. FGR wanted to keep him for this season. It was Chris Cadden we were after the season before but he went to America instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom