Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the town that’s famous for lamb chops is more of a pull?
Come on
Something is very wrong when Cadden who lives very close to us decides to go up north presumably for more money
As someone else has said if it had been Derby Sheff W Ipswich or Portsmouth I wouldn’t have a problem but Barnsley?
Have you got the Butchers name by chance:confused:

The other side of the coin seems as likely shirley? Why build a shiny new stadium for a middling division 3 side?

Full disclosure: I still think the goal, as stated by A. Bakrie, is promotion this season, and that the board is backing the manager with budget. I'm still hopeful that we're fishing in bigger ponds than previously and we'll be surprised at the quality of signings when they come.
Yes....but. Many a slip twixt cup and lip, so why would they invest heavily if the stadium does not materialise as soon as they hoped it might. I am really not sure how well versed they have been in the vagaries of the English planning system (I'm sure they are fast-learners), but what they might've assumed was a shoo-in within 24-36 months is now "likely" within 72 months. As noble as their intentions may be, why would they invest heavily right now with no guarantee of that shiny new stadium ever materialising?
I don't get the impression that any of them are treating us as a train set with the stadium being the icing on the cake, but who knows 🤷‍♂️

Yes, who knows?
Hang on so the likes of Marquis have not signed for us and once more we head to the doubts about the Owners.

I've said this before, I do think people need to seriously adjust their expectations, just because we have Owners with a few quid it does not follow that we can do much more as a club with 6-7.000 gates. There may be an increase in Budget but the Greedy fuc*ers that kick the ball have and always will look after number 1.

I also find it disrespectful for folk to say things like had a player gone to Wednesday Pompey Ipswich etc they could understand but "Barnsley"

Can the same not be said had a player gone to Wednesday Pompey Ipswich etc but "Oxford" in the eyes of other fans.

Our Irish recruitment has been more successful than most,
Sykes and Whyte had a good grounding in the Irish league, and fitted in pretty soon. Hopefully the same for Smyth with this coming season.
McNally wasn’t so experienced in the league of Ireland.
Others like Sean Mcloughlin, Danny Grant, Liam Scales have found it harder to get first team football, having usually being loaned out first.

I do think reality is hitting home that we are in an amazingly competitive market and our failings to me are ,
Ground - imagine being shown round the run down 3 sided Kass Stad then going to Stadium MK , Hillsborough, Portman Rd , The Valley ,and indeed even Oakwell we are a point down already.
KR running everything . While a good time ( and deserved ) to take a holiday that would likely be the DoF busiest time meeting players , selling the club and that just cannot be over zoom .
And let's face it there are some impressive set ups at the same level we are who can offer more than we can .
The move to SB is absolutely vital to the success of the Club , we are just about a top 50 club at the moment .

I also find it disrespectful for folk to say things like had a player gone to Wednesday Pompey Ipswich etc they could understand but "Barnsley"

Can the same not be said had a player gone to Wednesday Pompey Ipswich etc but "Oxford" in the eyes of other fans.

Absolutely, but I think you'll find that as this is an Oxford United forum, the majority will tend to be biased toward OUFC.
Of course, we can continue to doff our cap to other clubs of a similar size and similar pedigree, or we could of course grow a pair.

Yes, we need to be realistic and pragmatic, but football is escapism. It should allow us to dream, to hope that we can outperform... *checks notes*... Barnsley, Peterborough and MK Dons. The constant stoicism is quite depressing.

A friend recently described the company that they work for as a room full of people running about with their hair on fire. For some bizarre reason I immediately thought of this thread…..
Glad I’m bald then…..or maybe it has already burned of. 😊😉

Absolutely, but I think you'll find that as this is an Oxford United forum, the majority will tend to be biased toward OUFC.
Of course, we can continue to doff our cap to other clubs of a similar size and similar pedigree, or we could of course grow a pair.

Yes, we need to be realistic and pragmatic, but football is escapism. It should allow us to dream, to hope that we can outperform... *checks notes*... Barnsley, Peterborough and MK Dons. The constant stoicism is quite depressing.
Of course some will be biased but reality has to come into the equation. If as has been suggested a player chose Barnsley over us then it wouldn't be the first time that said club won the prize so to speak so comments like but Barnsley have not been thought through and that's even before bringing disrespect into it.

I often drop into these window threads about Mapp stating many clubs are fishing in the same water, it's fair to say that we got ahead of many regarding Ireland and were already on the River bank whilst others had not even enquired about a fishing boat. Others have now sat besides us but have a better standard of Bait.

We now appear to be tapping into another market as well and i think it's credit to our Recruitment team and club for their forward thinking.

Ryan, you suggest that Cadden turned down Oxford in the past 36 hours.
I was under the impression ( only reading through the lines) that we had given up on Cadden a while ago and were looking elsewhere?
Is that not true?
We’d left our offer in even though we had expected it would be rejected the more time went on. We certainly never withdrew it and if he had wanted to come we would have been happy to sign him up.

I don't get the 3 sided ground being the problem, the players spend 45 mins every other week having to play towards the fence is this really the only reason you wouldn't sign a fairly lucrative contract.

I don't get the 3 sided ground being the problem, the players spend 45 mins every other week having to play towards the fence is this really the only reason you wouldn't sign a fairly lucrative contract.
If offered the same or better lucrative contract I'd say so myself . Only a short career and you want to play highest level , most money and best surroundings possible .
Our run down Kass Stad would play a part I'd think of choosing us or not , from a neutral viewpoint . Its bloody poor tbh.

If offered the same or better lucrative contract I'd say so myself . Only a short career and you want to play highest level , most money and best surroundings possible .
Our run down Kass Stad would play a part I'd think of choosing us or not , from a neutral viewpoint . Its bloody poor tbh.
But players are always quoted as saying they just want to play Football. 5k a week attacking the fence end is the same as 5k a week at (insert ground/ End)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom