Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe that is the problem if, as has been suggested, Robinson runs everything? He can’t be everywhere at once. Add to that his apparent unwillingness to fly and nipping over to Ireland is never going to happen. Other clubs that delegate better and with better infrastructure in place will always have the edge.
Maybe things need to change regarding transfers if KR Don't like it then tough we need a DOF

There seems to have been a gradual downward gear-shift on this thread in the last week or so (even Scotcher’s bus occasionally slips into first, occasionally even threatening reverse gear - the Cadden transfer he was so confident about being a good example). There is a gratifying sense of realism edging out the blind optimism of recent weeks (although there will always be the KR- can-do-no-wrong brigade) and a fair portion of people are coming around to realise that many of the end-of-season promises about this year’s transfer window are not going to be fulfilled.
Yes, yes, I know the window hasn’t “closed” yet but we have clearly lost some of our targets (top league one and championship players: really?!) to our rivals. This window is looking dangerously like previous ones despite the promises of getting deals done early (yes, that WAS the implication) and the extra money available for fees.
There will have to be a quick change into fourth gear soon if these ideas about a promotion-chasing team are not going to look like pie in the sky. We do not have a noticeably better team now than the one which fell disappointingly short last year.
Scotchers can shout all he likes about negativity but I’d wager he’s not put any money on us for promotion.
I will, of course, be supporting the Yellows for the 57th year running, but I truly truly hope it’s something like the team we were promised…..

Riiiiiiight. I must’ve slept through the last 7 years of transfer windows, so can you please list the leftover-players that we’ve signed on deadline night; or are you still living in the 90’s?

Don’t worry about us going bust, though. Kassam is on his way to save the club!
Last January’s transfer window was interesting. Three on deadline day

There seems to have been a gradual downward gear-shift on this thread in the last week or so (even Scotcher’s bus occasionally slips into first, occasionally even threatening reverse gear - the Cadden transfer he was so confident about being a good example). There is a gratifying sense of realism edging out the blind optimism of recent weeks (although there will always be the KR- can-do-no-wrong brigade) and a fair portion of people are coming around to realise that many of the end-of-season promises about this year’s transfer window are not going to be fulfilled.
Yes, yes, I know the window hasn’t “closed” yet but we have clearly lost some of our targets (top league one and championship players: really?!) to our rivals. This window is looking dangerously like previous ones despite the promises of getting deals done early (yes, that WAS the implication) and the extra money available for fees.
There will have to be a quick change into fourth gear soon if these ideas about a promotion-chasing team are not going to look like pie in the sky. We do not have a noticeably better team now than the one which fell disappointingly short last year.
Scotchers can shout all he likes about negativity but I’d wager he’s not put any money on us for promotion.
I will, of course, be supporting the Yellows for the 57th year running, but I truly truly hope it’s something like the team we were promised…..
Maybe it has gone quieter as people are waiting to see what is going to happen?
The names we are rumoured to be after seem pretty high quality.
Then the players we were rumoured to be after that have gone elsewhere? I am disappointed that we have lost out on Cadden as he seemed a good acquisition, but it does appear that we gave up on that one some time ago.
If we can get in 4 to 5 players who improve the first team, we will be in decent shape ( and a couple more squad players)
Let's wait and see?

One of three players to turn down OUFC in the last 36 hours alongside Nicky Cadden and Darragh Burns, apparently. If Bolton up their bid for Toal over the next few days then they should get that tied up fairly easily. Although I suppose there’s always a chance until pen meets paper…

Even St Pat’s who Burns has left to sign for MK Dons have got a technical director who handles the nitty gritty in terms of transfer business. We really need somebody in that role.
If that is correct then I hope the new board will question why and hopefully appoint a DOF as recruitment seems to be an issue. Sorry but I hope the board realise to be a top 30 club we have to attain these targets.

Findlay played in a back 3 yesterday, Moore, Brown and Long have all played centrally in a 3. Long and Seddon have also played as full backs in a 5. So we can play that way if we want, but there's no denying that McNally gave us an extra dimension in that formation that is not easily replaced.

We should look to play to our strengths THIS season not what our strengths were last season, but that doesn't mean that we have to become one dimensional. As I said in the most you responded to, Long and Ruffels were probably the most effective full backs in the league 2 years back whilst playing in a 4. Cambridge last season was the brutally attack minded game I've seen us play in a long time, with 4 at the back but Ryan Williams our most attacking player as the right back that day.

Flexibility is about how we play with the players we have rather than the football manager fixation with formations.
I agree with most of this but Karl seemed clear that three at the back now not going to happen. I just find it odd. The last paragraph of yours is the issue I have really. Surely as a manager you have an idea of how you want to play and go after players who fit that style!

I agree with most of this but Karl seemed clear that three at the back now not going to happen. I just find it odd. The last paragraph of yours is the issue I have really. Surely as a manager you have an idea of how you want to play and go after players who fit that style!
He seems to be going for a back 4 and the players generally fit that formation.
I think that the point is that IF there is a requirement to change the formation, there is the flexibility to do that?

One of three players to turn down OUFC in the last 36 hours alongside Nicky Cadden and Darragh Burns, apparently. If Bolton up their bid for Toal over the next few days then they should get that tied up fairly easily. Although I suppose there’s always a chance until pen meets paper…

Ryan, you suggest that Cadden turned down Oxford in the past 36 hours.
I was under the impression ( only reading through the lines) that we had given up on Cadden a while ago and were looking elsewhere?
Is that not true?

I wonder if we have an image problem? Oxford isn’t a big historic name, we have a shonky incomplete ground on the edge of town in a city that’s not a football hotbed, and a batty manager. Not sure how much we can do about that. Permission for the new ground would help I think.
And the town that’s famous for lamb chops is more of a pull?
Come on
Something is very wrong when Cadden who lives very close to us decides to go up north presumably for more money
As someone else has said if it had been Derby Sheff W Ipswich or Portsmouth I wouldn’t have a problem but Barnsley?

If that is correct then I hope the new board will question why and hopefully appoint a DOF as recruitment seems to be an issue. Sorry but I hope the board realise to be a top 30 club we have to attain these targets.
I think the top 30 club bit is an aspiration and certainly not on the agenda until Stratfield Brake is in the bag.

As much as we might want that to be the case now, it would be non-sensical for the owners to think otherwise surely?

We are missing out on players more frequently than our PM is telling lies at the moment which is very worrying
If what Ryanbirdio says is correct a serious question needs to be asked especially about the up and coming Irish players
We had a good production line and players were coming in as recently as the last transfer window, we have a great track record of selling these players on,so what has changed?

I think the top 30 club bit is an aspiration and certainly not on the agenda until Stratfield Brake is in the bag.

As much as we might want that to be the case now, it would be non-sensical for the owners to think otherwise surely?
But a DOF I think would now be crucial for OUFC if we are to become a top 30 club hopefully once SB has been built.

Come on
Something is very wrong when Cadden who lives very close to us decides to go up north presumably for more money
As someone else has said if it had been Derby Sheff W Ipswich or Portsmouth I wouldn’t have a problem but Barnsley?

Barnsley have played in the Championship for two of the last three seasons, so both their revenue and what they are allowed to spend dwarfs us.

Duff will also set up in a 5-3-2, which suits Cadden and will enable him to play LWB whenever he is fit.

So more money at a club who have won promotion out of this league plenty of times and guaranteed first team football in his favoured position in a formation that has got the best out of him? It’s not hard to see why he has gone there.

Come on
Has anyone who actually knows stuff even said that we were in for Cadden in this window?

Seems to me that this window more than ever has involved a whole load of straw-clutching and an increased link to players we've previously (reportedly) shown an interest in. It seems to be that all the speculation revolves around this, young players in Prem/Champ clubs who might do OK for us and players in lower divisions who might also meet that criteria, based on last season, or another trawl of the Celtic leagues to see who might also fit that bill. Feels like a case of throw enough mud and some might stick.....

Nothing concrete, nothing substantial and I get the feeling all rather different from the drip, drip of previous windows...maybe the club have detected the leak and fixed it 🤷‍♂️

Barnsley have played in the Championship for two of the last three seasons, so both their revenue and what they are allowed to spend dwarfs us.

Duff will also set up in a 5-3-2, which suits Cadden and will enable him to play LWB whenever he is fit.

So more money at a club who have won promotion out of this league plenty of times and guaranteed first team football in his favoured position in a formation that has got the best out of him? It’s not hard to see why he has gone there.
But I thought I read they were in a bit of a financial mess

Has anyone who actually knows stuff even said that we were in for Cadden in this window?

Seems to me that this window more than ever has involved a whole load of straw-clutching and an increased link to players we've previously (reportedly) shown an interest in. It seems to be that all the speculation revolves around this, young players in Prem/Champ clubs who might do OK for us and players in lower divisions who might also meet that criteria, based on last season, or another trawl of the Celtic leagues to see who might also fit that bill.

Nothing concrete, nothing substantial and I get the feeling all rather different from the drip, drip of previous windows...maybe the club have detected the leak and fixed it 🤷‍♂️
I think at the beginning big this window his name was mentioned bu one or two posters but in a slightly different way to the previous mentions.
A case of we will be looking at Cadden whereas before there were more we are in for Cadden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom