Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are alot of players out there to pick up. Where did your Roofe ,Lundstrum ,Atkinson etc come from there are alot of untapped players we will have some surprises and end up with a good squad

But a DOF I think would now be crucial for OUFC if we are to become a top 30 club hopefully once SB has been built.
Can't argue with that Bazza, but we are talking 5 years down the road in all reality....and that;s with a fair wind at a guess, seeing where the economy is heading right now. Even before a sod is lifted, you can guarantee that costs will have spiralled and "efficiency measures" will have to be made elsewhere (ie playing budget and maangement structure/backroom staff).

Lets say, for arguments sake, that the club owners/investors in the SB project have £150million they are prepared to spend. That is going to buy a whole lot less in 6, 12, 24 months time (however long PP takes) than it will today...

And the town that’s famous for lamb chops is more of a pull?
Come on
Something is very wrong when Cadden who lives very close to us decides to go up north presumably for more money
As someone else has said if it had been Derby Sheff W Ipswich or Portsmouth I wouldn’t have a problem but Barnsley?
Yes I agree Barnsley isn’t a great pull, though they prob offered more and may be seen as more likely to be promoted. We need to become more persuasive as a club, it seems. For a while now we’ve identified and pursued targets but not got them.

Interestingly, Barnsley chops aren’t named after that Barnsley, but after a village in the Cotswolds near Bibury.

Yes I agree Barnsley isn’t a great pull, though they prob offered more and may be seen as more likely to be promoted. We need to become more persuasive as a club, it seems. For a while now we’ve identified and pursued targets but not got them.

Interestingly, Barnsley chops aren’t named after that Barnsley, but after a village in the Cotswolds near Bibury.
And a beautiful little village it is. Call in at the local.

I thought I'd "herd" that before....I did wonder :ROFLMAO:

And as I said above - who actually said we were in for Cadden and maybe we think Barnsley (not the Cotswolds one) have paid over the odds compaed to what we might've been prepared to offer (if we were even that bothered!)

But I thought I read they were in a bit of a financial mess
New board this summer, Carlton Morris being sold for £2m. New board have said that they have to be financially prudent, so taking measures to avoid being a financial mess. Wage structure will still be very different to ours.

KR did say after his first transfer window that he’d like somebody between him and the board I think he even name checked Gallen at Charlton at the time. I can’t imagine that has changed.

Can't argue with that Bazza, but we are talking 5 years down the road in all reality....and that;s with a fair wind at a guess, seeing where the economy is heading right now. Even before a sod is lifted, you can guarantee that costs will have spiralled and "efficiency measures" will have to be made elsewhere (ie playing budget and maangement structure/backroom staff).

Lets say, for arguments sake, that the club owners/investors in the SB project have £150million they are prepared to spend. That is going to buy a whole lot less in 6, 12, 24 months time (however long PP takes) than it will today...
Totally agree with the ground situation and let’s hope a decision from the OCC won’t be to long after a planning application has been presented. Would like to think also the board have already sounded our potential firms to erect the new stadium so as to start once permission is granted.

Last edited:
Reality is we're really not a great draw when you compare the fact our wages are competitive with a lower to mid range L1 club, our three sided stadium is in the a**e end of nowhere and house prices around Oxford are almost as bad as London.

DOF may improve some aspects (not getting into the power/political issues which can arise from those types of structures), but is always going to be a tough sell.

Look at our transfer dealings in recent times. It's either players who are crocks who need to rebuild their careers, players coming down the leagues (normally after a successful loan spell with us) or players few have heard of from Ireland.

Very rare for us to sign players from lower leagues who are on an upward trajectory as often we find other clubs outbid us.

Reality is we're really not a great draw when you compare the fact our wages are competitive with a lower to mid range L1 club, our three sided stadium is in the a**e end of nowhere and house prices around Oxford are almost as bad as London.

DOF may improve some aspects (not getting into the power/political issues which can arise from those types of structures), but is always going to be a tough sell.

Look at our transfer dealings in recent times. It's either players who are crocks who need to rebuild their careers, players coming down the leagues (normally after a successful loan spell with us) or players few have heard of from Ireland.

Very rare for us to sign players from lower leagues who are on an upward trajectory as often we find other clubs outbid us.
I think that's more to do with our recruitment strategy than being continually rebuffed. Apart from Cadden we generally aren't linked with players with this profile.

I think the top 30 club bit is an aspiration and certainly not on the agenda until Stratfield Brake is in the bag.

As much as we might want that to be the case now, it would be non-sensical for the owners to think otherwise surely?

The other side of the coin seems as likely shirley? Why build a shiny new stadium for a middling division 3 side?

Full disclosure: I still think the goal, as stated by A. Bakrie, is promotion this season, and that the board is backing the manager with budget. I'm still hopeful that we're fishing in bigger ponds than previously and we'll be surprised at the quality of signings when they come.

Can't disagree with much of that. But I think the club know that and work really well with the positive draws that we have.

• Great central location
  • Track record of developing players
  • Giving players game time that need it
  • Competitive on the pitch
  • Great brand of football
  • Lovely facilities - pitch and training
  • Realistic chances of promotion
  • Stable management and core set of players

We have some real plus points and I am pleased we can;t just chuck money at players on a whim like some of the larger clubs have done. That doesn;t build a culture. It's just a quick fix which gets undone as quickly as its built.

Ryan, you suggest that Cadden turned down Oxford in the past 36 hours.
I was under the impression ( only reading through the lines) that we had given up on Cadden a while ago and were looking elsewhere?
Is that not true?

Missing out doesn't necessarily mean we had live negotiations, probably more a case that an offer (made a time ago )was still "open" so to speak, but it had taken that long that we'd prioritised elsewhere, and now that he is signing for Barnsley, it confirms that nothing is doing i.e. he has turned us down for Barnsley

He seems to be going for a back 4 and the players generally fit that formation.
I think that the point is that IF there is a requirement to change the formation, there is the flexibility to do that?
He talked about us playing three at the back but when McNally went seemed to suggest that idea was now dead. That's what I find strange.

I think that's more to do with our recruitment strategy than being continually rebuffed. Apart from Cadden we generally aren't linked with players with this profile.
That's true and it's something that I think the club have done purposely. We have become the club for young players coming from Ireland, or from Premier League academies. If we re-branded with a Peterborough-style recruitment policy for example, maybe we could attract more of these players.

I'm not for one minute saying we haven't missed out on players from Ireland, but I just think that's where most of our attention is.

He seems to be going for a back 4 and the players generally fit that formation.
I think that the point is that IF there is a requirement to change the formation, there is the flexibility to do that?

Has HE said this? I seem to remember something like it. If you ask me, it's a but perplexing: I can't believe we won't do better playing a back 5 in some games, and flagging that we'll be using 4 will enable opponents to set up against us more easily. Perhaps more important, what wing-back who wants to advance his career would want to play for a team that's said it won't be using wing-backs much rather than a team that hasn't said this.

All seems a bit foolish if true.

I think Cadden would have worked really well here, even in a back 4. His brother came here as more of a midfielder and was converted into a full-back by KR. Long would offer a bit more defensive stability on the other side and I think it would have been quite balanced.

What I find strange is that people still hear Karl say something and immediately take it as gospel. He's just as likely to say in his next proclamation that playing three at the back was always the plan and nothing is going to alter that.

I can pretty much guarantee that we will line up three, four and five at the back at some point during the season, always assuming we can sign enough wingers to play there.....

It is genuinely good to see people starting to question the guff that we are fed from the club.

Ultimately this was the window to push on in a very strong league and let's be honest, it's not going to happen. Hence why we are now looking at tried and tested Brown, Whyte etc.

Something isn't going to miraculously change in these next few weeks that results in us hitting our targets. Cadden especially is disappointing given proximity, length of chase but also you'd imagine his brother putting in a good word.

You only improve by recognising a problem and dealing with it. Not by either putting your head in the sand or, even worse, stating quite the opposite. I e that we probably didn't want them anyway as we are looking for better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom