Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after being slammed by many on here now people are saying the same as what myself, Kip Crosby et al were saying weeks ago...
Perhaps not slammed, merely indicating another side of the coin so to speak.

The same process still applies, only those at the club know who was/is targeted and the level of aggressiveness to attract said player if they were.

Think of Defore as an example, reported he wanted more than our ceiling, based on this how much did we really want to continue discussions.

Might i also be permitted to add that perhaps the club have (introduced) a timeline for decisions to be made and finalised which many of us have felt was a requirement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the ground definitely plays a part. Spurs, for example, are a more attractive club now than they were at the old ground. It's not the only reason, of course not, but if im a footballer and two clubs are offering the same deal, similar training facilities, the ambition feels similar and one ground is The Kassam and the other is Charltons, Ipswich's, Derby's. wednesdays, Pompeys, Boltons, MK's etc then that could sway me, definitely.

For Cadden, a Scotsman, the idea of being at Barnsley to make that return home quicker/easier probably appeals as well.

For Cadden, a Scotsman, the idea of being at Barnsley to make that return home quicker/easier probably appeals as well.

Or alternatively, he lives in the Cotswolds and so OUFC would have meant no relocation?
Your scenario is perfectly possible, but conjecture.

There are a variety of factors, but just as house prices could put potential targets off OUFC (although, let's be honest, the average footballer should be ok), there will be some actively wanting to stay in the South-East of England for all the perks that brings.
For example, moving to Carlisle may afford you pleasant property prices, but it's not ideal for your jaunts to Marbs with the lads via Heathrow.

Maybe we should focus our recruitment on players with a penchant for fishing...

I don't get the impression that any of them are treating us as a train set with the stadium being the icing on the cake, but who knows 🤷‍♂️

All fair enough, Sheikh. Who knows? My strong guess is that the stadium/property leads but the football club is like a flagship item, not a train set.

Ma'salaam.

It’s almost as though our backers/owners aren’t prepared to splash the cash to get us promoted to the hugely expensive championship until they’ve got planning permission for the stadium sorted out…..🤔🤔

Making signings is straight forward if you over pay and throw money at it.

Whilst we clearly have funds to compete, I don't think we will over pay just to get a body in. Therefore, if we wish to gain value from signings in terms of fees paid, wages etc then things will take time.

If the Smyth transfer is anything to go by - we made an offer, take it or leave it - if rejected, on to the next one.

Making signings is straight forward if you over pay and throw money at it.

Whilst we clearly have funds to compete, I don't think we will over pay just to get a body in. Therefore, if we wish to gain value from signings in terms of fees paid, wages etc then things will take time.

If the Smyth transfer is anything to go by - we made an offer, take it or leave it - if rejected, on to the next one.
1. Surely not every single club is overpaying every time they sign a player
2. If every club IS overpaying then that surely means the market rate has just increased
3. If the market has increased and we refuse to "overpay" in your words, what if we fail to sign anyone of the required ability due to our own belief about what fair value is

25 days until Derby, pre-season underway, zero signings who weren't here last season, no kit announced.

I'm willing to get on Scotch's bus but we have not done well so far at all sp far. It appears disorganised.

Perhaps not slammed, merely indicating another side of the coin so to speak.

The same process still applies, only those at the club know who was/is targeted and the level of aggressiveness to attract said player if they were.

Think of Defore as an example, reported he wanted more than our ceiling, based on this how much did we really want to continue discussions.

Might i also be permitted to add that perhaps the club have (introduced) a timeline for decisions to be made and finalised which many of us have felt was a requirement.
You're a reasonable person horse, was referring to a few others (basically Foley)

How are Derby finding it so easy to sign players? Same for Shrewsbury, how come OUFC seem to find it so difficult?

Derby already had agreements in place before the Kirchner takeover collapsed. If the player is willing to hang on then it isn't a problem in terms of time. Rotherham's Ikwiewe (so?) didn't hang on otherwise and signed elsewhere otherwise they'd have signed him as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom