Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not difficult to be Derby when you can afford to pay Hourihane or Mendez-Laing or Barkhuizen what they want in L1.

Shrewsbury’s business has looked really impressive actually for their aims - O’Brien, Dunks and Taylor Moore all strong at the level.

The challenge for Oxford is signing players that can improve us without the budget of the big boys. Im sure we’re targeting better players than those Shrewsbury ones but aren’t able to compete financially with the big 3 at L1 level. Doubts are starting to creep in over our powers of persuasion also…

Not difficult to be Derby when you can afford to pay Hourihane or Mendez-Laing or Barkhuizen what they want in L1.

Shrewsbury’s business has looked really impressive actually for their aims - O’Brien, Dunks and Taylor Moore all strong at the level.

The challenge for Oxford is signing players that can improve us without the budget of the big boys. Im sure we’re targeting better players than those Shrewsbury ones but aren’t able to compete financially with the big 3 at L1 level. Doubts are starting to creep in over our powers of persuasion also…
Imagine the anger on here if we signed those players though. Like you say, it's not about stockpiling for us, it's finding genuine quality that can kick us onto the next step, I'd much rather us have this approach and actually sign quality rather than Clotet-era stockpiling.

And the town that’s famous for lamb chops is more of a pull?
Come on
Something is very wrong when Cadden who lives very close to us decides to go up north presumably for more money
As someone else has said if it had been Derby Sheff W Ipswich or Portsmouth I wouldn’t have a problem but Barnsley?
The man from Scotland chooses to move further North? Doesn’t seem too surprising to me.

How are Derby finding it so easy to sign players? Same for Shrewsbury, how come OUFC seem to find it so difficult?
I'm going to bite...

Derby - likely spending very good money on wages.. Wages that we couldn't and shouldn't be spending. They're being linked with older players too, again the kind that we won;t want to carry long term. Tom Barkhuizen and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing have recently signed. TB will be on more money than we could spend, and NML looked rubbish last year.

Shrewsbury - which of the Shrewabury signings would you really want here? Maybe Taylor Moore, maybe Aiden O'Brien, maybe Tom Bayliss. But would they really imporve us, and at what cost? They'll all be on good money. They're expensive middle of the road signings.

I reckon we could have 'easily' signed these players.

I think the ground definitely plays a part. Spurs, for example, are a more attractive club now than they were at the old ground. It's not the only reason, of course not, but if im a footballer and two clubs are offering the same deal, similar training facilities, the ambition feels similar and one ground is The Kassam and the other is Charltons, Ipswich's, Derby's. wednesdays, Pompeys, Boltons, MK's etc then that could sway me, definitely.
Have you seen Charlton (as one example) training facilities????

The puzzling thing I find about our recruitment is that we rely on unearthing and signing up and coming talent in order to stay afloat, so not having someone dedicated to translating Karls wants and needs into actual players, I find quite frankly baffling, they'd pay for themselves every year.

I don't get the 3 sided ground being the problem, the players spend 45 mins every other week having to play towards the fence is this really the only reason you wouldn't sign a fairly lucrative contract.
I think our training facilities are very good for a L1 team, which would outweigh a s**t stadium.

I've absolutely no reason to doubt what has been said, but before we get too carried away, let's look at those who have "turned us down".

Eion Taol is a "proper defender" 6'3 and solid, gives very little away. But at 23 he'll be looking to be getting more assurance of game time and his level of expected growth will be different from McNally or Atkinson who whilst less experienced, they offered a little of the x factor that has got them big follow on moves. Also Bolton have been looking at the Irish market for a long time, have established links with many clubs and are still seen as a bigger club by many. And, they've also had a bid turned down so maybe Derry are looking to get maximum return and we're not budging.

Darragh Burns is a very good prospect, but still very young and would be a but of a gamble expecting him to fit the ground running. He could be another Gavin Whyte, but could just as easy become another Joel Cooper. We have Tyler Goodrham in the building who looks a similar prospect but with fewer games to him name. If we were choosing between the two, then I'm happy to give Tyler a chance. Also, MK Dons have gone all out to get him and may well have put an offer on the table that we weren't prepared to match.

Nicky Cadden is a player that I have banged on about, and despite some suggestions otherwise, was almost a done deal last summer before he chose to stay and run down his contract. I would have been happy with him signing, but let's not pretend that we had any god given right to get him. Several clubs were after his signature, and if it seems that we started looking elsewhere, that's likely a result of us not wanting to spend weeks going back and forth, offering more and more each time. I'm not saying that Barnsley have thrown silly money at him, or are the most attractive team in league one, but they are a recent Championship side and will have a decent enough budget to compete.

So, having three players turn us down on the same day seems depressing, especially when other deals aren't there to soften the blow. But in reality, players turn down offers all the time, even with clubs seen as being bigger and better. The fact that these all came at the same time suggests that we gave the beginning of July as a take it or leave it deadline, which is not necessarily a bad thing as we focus on the many other deals that we're working on.

I'm not saying that everything is perfect, no transfer window ever is. But equally I'm not sure that it is anywhere near as disastrous as some are suggesting.

I've absolutely no reason to doubt what has been said, but before we get too carried away, let's look at those who have "turned us down".

Eion Taol is a "proper defender" 6'3 and solid, gives very little away. But at 23 he'll be looking to be getting more assurance of game time and his level of expected growth will be different from McNally or Atkinson who whilst less experienced, they offered a little of the x factor that has got them big follow on moves. Also Bolton have been looking at the Irish market for a long time, have established links with many clubs and are still seen as a bigger club by many. And, they've also had a bid turned down so maybe Derry are looking to get maximum return and we're not budging.

Darragh Burns is a very good prospect, but still very young and would be a but of a gamble expecting him to fit the ground running. He could be another Gavin Whyte, but could just as easy become another Joel Cooper. We have Tyler Goodrham in the building who looks a similar prospect but with fewer games to him name. If we were choosing between the two, then I'm happy to give Tyler a chance. Also, MK Dons have gone all out to get him and may well have put an offer on the table that we weren't prepared to match.

Nicky Cadden is a player that I have banged on about, and despite some suggestions otherwise, was almost a done deal last summer before he chose to stay and run down his contract. I would have been happy with him signing, but let's not pretend that we had any god given right to get him. Several clubs were after his signature, and if it seems that we started looking elsewhere, that's likely a result of us not wanting to spend weeks going back and forth, offering more and more each time. I'm not saying that Barnsley have thrown silly money at him, or are the most attractive team in league one, but they are a recent Championship side and will have a decent enough budget to compete.

So, having three players turn us down on the same day seems depressing, especially when other deals aren't there to soften the blow. But in reality, players turn down offers all the time, even with clubs seen as being bigger and better. The fact that these all came at the same time suggests that we gave the beginning of July as a take it or leave it deadline, which is not necessarily a bad thing as we focus on the many other deals that we're working on.

I'm not saying that everything is perfect, no transfer window ever is. But equally I'm not sure that it is anywhere near as disastrous as some are suggesting.
This thread has taken a dark turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom