Home Match Day Thread +++ 20/08/2019 L1: OUFC vs Burton Albion+++

I totally agree, and I’m not in any sort of state of panic or doom and gloom after last night at all, it was a very below par performance, but like you say, it could happen to any other lineup at any time.

But I said before the game, that a
4-2-3-1 formation with Taylor isolated up front on his own, wasn’t going to work, and hopefully Robbo recognises that as well, and I’ve only tweaked a couple of players and moved to what I think would be a more suitable formation for those players to perform to the standards we already know they can, it’s not like I’ve ripped the whole team apart and made wholesale changes in some knee jerk reaction to last nights game.

That’s just my opinion on which team would be best for Saturday, and moving forwards, until we can get Thorne and Baptiste match fit, and then that would be my first choice lineup for the season.

But obviously things change, players dip in and out of form and get suspensions and injuries, so they’ll always be chopping and changing, and thank god we’ve got good enough quality in depth to make those changes when needed.
So many interesting, thoughtful and heartfelt posts about last night. Just to add to the mix ..
4231 has lots of critics but I think it works - gives more protection and cover to the back 4 and particularly allows Cadden to get forward and Dickie to bring the ball out of defence. But, and a big but, it does require pace out wide from the three. As many have said we had that with Whyte and Browne last season, we don't with Henry and Forde, but might have more with Fossu and Agyei.
- I think Taylor can work as the 1 with a No. 10 Woodburn or Henry playing close enough ... And the rest of the team playing the ball on the ground or over the top - not assuming we have Toshack and Keegan up there! I don't think Mackie wins enough in the air to be our Toshack in a 442.
- Cadden please cross first time!!! Then Matty can anticipate and make runs rather than starting, stopping and then starting again. Saw Robinson shouting at him and holding up one finger (not the middle one) which I assume meant first time.
Woodburn looks class, but weird comparison coming up here, it reminds me of how Hoban started .... getting into good positions, getting shots away, but they all seemed to be saved, blocked or hit the post. (NB not comparing them as players!)
- would bring in Moore for Mous and Hanson for Gorrin
- will be great to have a fit Baptiste back to drive forward with the ball from midfield especially from the bench (to start with) against a tiring team. And Sykes can do the same.
- I think (as others have said) Forde and Henry are too similar to have in the same team. But probably not much choice for Robinson last night. Both are good players.
- Dilemma ... Henry doesn't have the pace to get past people out wide, but is a brilliant crosser in a tight space, so doesn't need to go past them.
- very sadly and again agreeing with others, Rob Hall looks way off in terms of fitness and confidence and isn't making an impact from the bench. Can he get a run of games with the U23s? Would prefer to Sykes on the bench.
- Branagan awesome!

i need to attend specsavers as i'm sure just a couple of days ago i read on here that we now have a strong squad and some quality players yet after we lose a game of football, the ability of some of those players is now being questioned.

i need to attend specsavers as i'm sure just a couple of days ago i read on here that we now have a strong squad and some quality players yet after we lose a game of football, the ability of some of those players is now being questioned.

To be fair we were missing or not playing:

Fosu: Has looked pacy and tricky in the first few games of the season
Moore - Will be our first choice CB in my opinion
Agyei - Seems to add pace and strength
Baptiste - One of our best players, let alone best midfielders when he was fit last season
Sykes - Seems to have talent and promise

Get 3-4 of those lot fit, in form and in the team and we are transformed IMO.

To be fair though, I was wondering at about 9.30 last night if I ought to book a Specsavers trip for myself after firstly hearing about how well we played at Blackpool and then watching last night!

I would favour 533 over 422 as it gives us an extra 3 players which could be useful!!

In fact with our squad and KR's love of midfielders and attacking wingers, I'd go with a 585 to give us a better chance!
Always one ???

I thought at times we did quite well and it was not a desperate performance. But we were undone by a Mousinho horror show. Unfortunately he just can't head a football and that is the main thing a L1 defender has to be able to do. Last season there was a dramatic upturn in fortunes not because Mous went into midfield but because Mous came out of our defence. After the start of last season and the game at Accrington when he got moved back into defence for another disastrous performance he should be nowhere near our defence again. But that's not to say he is a bad player because he can clearly do a job in defensive midfield, except we probably have better players in DM ahead of him.

Cadden needs to not be scared to put a cross in the box. Now we have a centre forward who plays in the 6 yard box he should be putting the ball into the box.

Woodburn has some talent but we need to start seeing some end product soon, can't be waiting forever.

Gorrin sweepstake for number of bookings this season anyone? He's going to be banned for so many games he shouldn't get more than 25.

But we are a long way ahead of where we were this time last season and a million miles ahead of the calamity Clotet left us about 18 months ago, this despite losing our 2 best players in Nelson and Whyte. I am encouraged where we are going but we do need to move on as 4 points from 4 games doesn't look that clever now and we need to get some points on the board again.

I’m going to contest Nelson being one of our 2 best players. I vote Brannagan and Dickie.

Just rewatched the goals back.

Burton 1st - MOUSINHO completely loses his player, not switched on whatsoever, for a free header & why do we have no-one on the far post?

Burton 2nd - Poor goalkeeping by EASTWOOD after what looks miscommunication with MOUSINHO.

Burton 3rd - Poor from DICKIE who turns his back on a shot for some reason instead of trying to block it. Deflection.

Burton 4th - Very good goal. Chasing the game.

Really? I thought the ref cost us 2 clear chances by pulling the game back for a foul on us and missed a blatant penalty for a push on Taylor when he would have had a tap in

They could have had a penalty too, clear push on their forward first half and vaguely remember a challenge on their 10 second half when some referees could have given a penalty.

Just rewatched the goals back.

Burton 1st - MOUSINHO completely loses his player, not switched on whatsoever, for a free header & why do we have no-one on the far post?

Burton 2nd - Poor goalkeeping by EASTWOOD after what looks miscommunication with MOUSINHO.

Burton 3rd - Poor from DICKIE who turns his back on a shot for some reason instead of trying to block it. Deflection.

Burton 4th - Very good goal. Chasing the game.

Mousinho didn’t need to head it straight back into play leading to their 4th.

Hello Lads (&lasses),

I'm the daft Burton fan who "accused" you lot of being a bunch of kickers. To be fair it was only based on last seasons game where you bullied us and smashed us all over the park, this season it was based on my Sunderland supporting mates feedback and I should know better than to trust him.

I'm not a massive Karl Robinson fan but in fairness I got it totally wrong. I thought you boys got it down and tried to play football every chance you got and was really pleasantly surprised. I think you'll cause teams a lot of problems with your pace going forward, thought Brannagan was brilliant for you and think if Matty Taylor was a game or two fitter it could have been a different game. Think of his header and his one on one with the keeper first half. You go in 1-1, it's a different team talk,

Two very good goals where you cut us apart but always fancied we would create chances once we got Fraser on the ball.

I don't think the way we set up was in any way us doing our homework after your Blackpool game, it's just the way we play, we've got a lot of energy in midfield and we press high, we've got a lot of quality in our front 5 and on our day we can give anyone a game. I think we're a better side than we get credit for but I also admit you're a much better side than I gave you credit for, your finish last season should have made me take a bit more notice of the change in philosophy.

I think you'll be one of those teams like us, who threaten the play offs this season and that's based on watching a game you lost, so if you usually play better than that you're in good shape.

Surprised to see you sign George Thorne, the lad can definitely play and if he was fit would dominate a lot of midfielders at this level but I personally can't see him getting and then staying fit enough to have a real impact. I hope I'm wrong 'cos he deserves a run of games after the horrendous injuries he's faced.

Sorry I got it wrong in terms of you being cloggers, it was a really entertaining game, fair play and good luck for the rest of the season.

**** little edit, not to suck up but to be honest again and say. I've read the whole thread now and you lot are a real credit to forums. Some really good, fair and knowledgeable posts, it's rare to see a set of fans being fair in both praise and criticism. Hope that doesn't come across as condescending, it's not meant to be anything other than a compliment.

Last edited:

You can bring in as many good player's as you like but that does not make a team,that takes time and I am sure this squad will get there. As for Eastwood I thought that he was going downhill last season.

Funny thing football. We’re pretty good at the pressing game these days but Burton totally outdid us there. And Peterborough are supposed to have star forwards but Burton’s looked twice as good. However, if we’d scored an early goal and got a grip on midfield it could’ve been completely different

I would favour 533 over 422 as it gives us an extra 3 players which could be useful!!

In fact with our squad and KR's love of midfielders and attacking wingers, I'd go with a 585 to give us a better chance!
Niall, please tell KR your latest formation.

Hello Lads (&lasses),

I'm the daft Burton fan who "accused" you lot of being a bunch of kickers. To be fair it was only based on last seasons game where you bullied us and smashed us all over the park, this season it was based on my Sunderland supporting mates feedback and I should know better than to trust him.

I'm not a massive Karl Robinson fan but in fairness I got it totally wrong. I thought you boys got it down and tried to play football every chance you got and was really pleasantly surprised. I think you'll cause teams a lot of problems with your pace going forward, thought Brannagan was brilliant for you and think if Matty Taylor was a game or two fitter it could have been a different game. Think of his header and his one on one with the keeper first half. You go in 1-1, it's a different team talk,

Two very good goals where you cut us apart but always fancied we would create chances once we got Fraser on the ball.

I don't think the way we set up was in any way us doing our homework after your Blackpool game, it's just the way we play, we've got a lot of energy in midfield and we press high, we've got a lot of quality in our front 5 and on our day we can give anyone a game. I think we're a better side than we get credit for but I also admit you're a much better side than I gave you credit for, your finish last season should have made me take a bit more notice of the change in philosophy.

I think you'll be one of those teams like us, who threaten the play offs this season and that's based on watching a game you lost, so if you usually play better than that you're in good shape.

Surprised to see you sign George Thorne, the lad can definitely play and if he was fit would dominate a lot of midfielders at this level but I personally can't see him getting and then staying fit enough to have a real impact. I hope I'm wrong 'cos he deserves a run of games after the horrendous injuries he's faced.

Sorry I got it wrong in terms of you being cloggers, it was a really entertaining game, fair play and good luck for the rest of the season.

**** little edit, not to suck up but to be honest again and say. I've read the whole thread now and you lot are a real credit to forums. Some really good, fair and knowledgeable posts, it's rare to see a set of fans being fair in both praise and criticism. Hope that doesn't come across as condescending, it's not meant to be anything other than a compliment.
Thanks for your comments. I was surprised that your mates tipped us as niggly kickers as that really isn't what we do and you have now seen that.
I commented to my brother about 15 minutes into the match how nice it was playing a team that wasn't kicking us off the pitch. Credit to Burton, you were faster up front and nailed us at the back. On our best form it might have been different but last nights 3 points were yours.

Have to say, watching the first half, I was convinced that Burton were going to tire - their high press was incessant, and they never gave any of our defenders or midfielders time or space.

But three goals in the last half hour would suggest that didn't happen at all!

Clough's clearly got them as fit as hell to start the season, and they've got some decent players as well. Will be a tough game for anyone.

As for Oxford? First bad performance after three good ones. No need to panic, but could do with a result on Satuday. Moore in for Mousinho seems like an obvious change....hopefully either Fosu or Agyei are good to go as well.

It has taken me a couple of days to process what happened on Tuesday. The result was not what I expected and the performance wasn't good either. That said, Burton looked a very strong and athletic team and no wonder they are winning away from home; their pace on the counter is frightening. Unfortunately we never got to grips with this. We needed another body in midfield to control it.

Eastwood - 7 - a couple of good saves and good distribution. No chance with any of the goals.

Cadden - 4 - looked lost all game. Kept comming inside leaving the right back space open all game. Ineffective going forward and didn't cross well.

Dickie - 6 - looked shaky at times. Brought the ball out from the back we'll.

Mousinho - 4 - didn't have the pace to deal with the counter. Shaky all game.

Ruffels - 6 - went forward well and linked with Forde. Spaces left behind him on the counter.

Gorrin - 5 - looked tired or injured. Missed a number of tackles and passes were not great.

Brannagan - 7 - MOTM. Tried hard to keep us going forward and some great passes. Lost the ball at times.

Henry - 5 - ineffective. Passes were poor and he slows us down. Did put one amazing cross in.

Woodburn - 6.5 - very good first half, with some amazing long range passing. A couple of decent shots. Faded in the second half, but his work rate is incredible.

Forde - 6 - worked hard and scored and assisted our goals. He is very similar to Henry and maybe doesn't have enough pace.

Taylor - 6 - worked hard and showed some moments of real quality. His movement is great and when he is sharp will score a hatful.

Fosu, Hall and Mackie - didn't really affect the game positively when they came on.

Hmmm not great but not one to lose our minds over.

A few points:

- Henry didn’t stay wide enough and didn’t fancy running into the space behind the LB (we scored vs Peterborough this way). The pattern of play became too predictable - Henry inside, Cadden outside, play the one two

- Cadden has acres of space most of the match and was our most advanced a wide player...we simply didn’t get the ball to him soon enough taking too many touches

- Cadden needs to add some end product...9 crosses only 1 making it to an oxford player. Still, cut backs to the penalty spot are the one.

- Gorrin is getting criticised - defensively he was good, on the ball he was pressed into errors.

- I think we look more secure with three in midfield. Adding Baptiste in who can beat a press will be crucial but does mean losing the #10 or even adding Hanson in.

- Mousinho was shakey but has kept McNulty/Grigg/Toney/Eisa quiet in previous matches - however he was again pressed into errors

- playing with Taylor added a different dimesnsion. He stays between the CB and makes runs behind. He was doing it all match we just need Woodburn etc to learn his runs (like the first goal).

- we scored two very good goals

- after we scored the second we failed to manage the game. Can see below from 60mins onwards we lost our hold on the game:

View attachment 2062

We have a pretty stacked squad now and almost have too many options. KR will have a load of decisions to make which possibly means dropping some big players.
All very good points. The voice of common sense!

Back
Top Bottom