Home Match Day Thread 20/01/2024 L1: OUFC vs Northampton Town - POSTPONED

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carpy

Staff member
Probably the easiest game of a busy few weeks so would hope we end up walking away with the 3 points.

Fancy Harris to continue his goalscoring form, 2-0 to Oxford

EDIT: And it’s postponed

That was quite educational in terms of understanding how much damage occurs to the grass if you play during a frost per his reference to a game they played a month ago in such conditions . I hadn’t thought about that before
Very informative, it would be good to see an OUFC equivalent in the run up to risky pitch matches.

You’re wide of the mark here. Your storytelling capabilities are far too advanced for Oxford Fail. Click bait tactics wouldn’t work. You’ve chosen words within the first paragraph like quaint, descended and scenic. Tut tut.
No just to reiterate the Oxford fail will report on Mondays headline “ Village overrun with an invasion of away football supporters…. Police have confirmed through FOSB that there were 28 arrests for drunken Debauchery a further 84 for pooing in Gardens because the local garden centre aren’t happy with the loss in sales of bags of manure. The other 40 were arrested of just being there what catharses they will be will be when they’ve made them up “
Page 2 will be Suzanne Mcivor saying “ told you so”
It’s a pity that the fail won’t print the photo of Middleton Handing cash to the cobblers fans along with some of his crap jewellery for the fans to give the Wives, girlfriends and birds to take the fall to make FOSB’s argument why Kidlington shouldn’t have a stadium.

Fairly sure there are plenty on here that have "diverted" to a pub/other game when a match has been called off.

Vividly remember pulling into the car park at St James` Park (The Northern one) to hear the tannoy announcement.

For anyone remotely interested in the 3 x coaches of Northampton... Once a season I organise a big away day for the lads raising money for cynthia Spencer hospice in memory of one of ours who died of cancer... the day went ahead regardless of the match.. stopping in Kidlington, Banbury and Brackley.. we raised £2136.20. Cheers.

For anyone remotely interested in the 3 x coaches of Northampton... Once a season I organise a big away day for the lads raising money for cynthia Spencer hospice in memory of one of ours who died of cancer... the day went ahead regardless of the match.. stopping in Kidlington, Banbury and Brackley.. we raised £2136.20. Cheers.

Nice one.👍

It won’t sit well with Middleton and his FOSB chums‘s agenda that all football fans are hooligans though.

I am sure if asked some people would be willing to come down and assist. Not sure you can expect people to randomly rock up or that on the whole it’s a good idea for club employees to be trying to custard pie fans.

Maybe said keyboard expert fans should think first.

Top job, hope you had a good day that wasn`t spoilt by having to watch the football. :)

Excellent 👍

Excellent work 👏

Decent cash raise and you chose Oxford as the big away day… win win 🙂

Shame the footy didn’t go ahead though.

Excellent stuff. If there’s a Just Giving page for that hospice, I’m sure a few of us would chuck a bit in the hat too.

Well, my yellow friends, it looks like a meeting under the lights in the spring. My favourite time to play the Oxens

York's groundsman also put a post on to try and give some context to why their game was called off, despite being in a year old stadium

With it being a sand based pitch, sand freezes more then soil (the pitch has no soil in it) once frost gets into it it’s not easy to get out unless temperatures rise.
The huge south stand puts the pitch in 2/3rds of shade from December till February.
The temps may rise but you need good sunlight for a quick defrost.
Every effort has been made to get these games on including sacrificing the Leeds U21s.

Those wondering why undersoil heating isn’t installed or used, basically the undersoil pipe work is fitted 6-7 inches below the ground, it takes 3 days to be on BEFORE any frost to protect as when the heat reaches the grass leaf it’s only about 1 degree so it doesn’t even stop snow.
Snow will settle with it on, it’s a cost at the moment of about £1000 a day
You also have to remember that you can’t just remove frost sheets just before a game, you need a good few hours so in principle it could end up freezing during the game and be deemed unsafe.
There is also the issue of a thing called ROOT SHEARING where the frozen grass moves and the roots don’t, just rips them off kills the grass and ruins the pitch.

Have a feeling we're sand based also?

Last edited:
York's groundsman also put a post on to try and give some context to why their game was called off, despite being in a year old stadium

With it being a sand based pitch, sand freezes more then soil (the pitch has no soil in it) once frost gets into it it’s not easy to get out unless temperatures rise.
The huge south stand puts the pitch in 2/3rds of shade from December till February.
The temps may rise but you need good sunlight for a quick defrost.
Every effort has been made to get these games on including sacrificing the Leeds U21s.

Those wondering why undersoil heating isn’t installed or used, basically the undersoil pipe work is fitted 6-7 inches below the ground, it takes 3 days to be on BEFORE any frost to protect as when the heat reaches the grass leaf it’s only about 1 degree so it doesn’t even stop snow.
Snow will settle with it on, it’s a cost at the moment of about £1000 a day
You also have to remember that you can’t just remove frost sheets just before a game, you need a good few hours so in principle it could end up freezing during the game and be deemed unsafe.
There is also the issue of a thing called ROOT SHEARING where the frozen grass moves and the roots don’t, just rips them off kills the grass and ruins the pitch.
That fella may be an expert and all that, but Alan from Banbury reckons you can just put hot water in the sprinklers. It’s tough to know who to believe.

From memory that was one of the few games that day which survived the weather and so the BBC cameras were rushed to Filbert Street and ended up being the featured game on MOTD.

Again if I remember correctly Filbert Street had what was at the time a very inventive ’balloon’ which was pumped with hot air and covered the playing surface. Something like that anyway!
If only we could collect all the hot air on here and put it on the pitch.

Yes but it's cold, and icy, and I might slip over on the concrete and bump my head, and then wake up in the women's clothing section of John Lewis.

I think for this reason it's not safe, and they should close Westgate today.

Mrs Mad Dog disagrees, apparently I'm a moaning dickhead, and I should go and warm the car up...😔
For who is it not safe for you to wake up in the women’s clothing section of John Lewis?

Back
Top Bottom