Away Match Day Thread 19/08/2023 - L1: Barnsley v OUFC

Who was your Man of the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not naming Murphy confirms he’s off. Disappointing we couldn’t get best out of him and he couldn’t give his best to us.
Doesn't confirm he's off at all. He's just not good enough, and hasn't made the squad in any of our other 3 league games.

Really can't see anyone taking him, as much as I'd love someone to take him.

Who would you have not had on the bench though? Not saying I disagree with your reasoning but equally struggle to see why you would change the playing squad at the moment.
Smyth. Stevens and Rodrigues can play midfield

Seems an odd game in which to give young Mills his first start. And Rodrigues benched for the second game in a row seems noteworthy - doesn't seem like he's done a lot wrong when he's played. Anyway, in Manning we trust!

I don't think Rodrigues is benched rather than horses for courses. Bodin plays high up, off Harris and its likely felt that he will have more impact there than Rodrigues will have playing a little deeper.

As for Mills, I think he's looked bright when he's come on, and as much as I love Tyler, I've always felt that he is better coming off the bench than starting.

Seems an odd game in which to give young Mills his first start. And Rodrigues benched for the second game in a row seems noteworthy - doesn't seem like he's done a lot wrong when he's played. Anyway, in Manning we trust!
Mills started the City cup game and looked threatening on the break. I'm more than confident he can deliver. As for Rodrigues, I'm guessing he and Bodin (and eventually Woltman) will rotate in the no. 10 position. Refreshing that the manager has to make tricky decisions on who to pick based on a wealth of options, rather than scrambling a squad together where half of them are injured.

I thought in the games I’ve seen Rodriguez play he tends to get tired (leggy) quite easily, so not sure if that’s because he’s not up to match sharpness/fitness/this level of football just yet, but I’m sure he will.

It's interesting to see how some of those we were clamouring for have fallen by the wayside. Grigg in conference, Holland sub in Div 2. Let's see the actual yellows win today playing for the shirt.

You may be right but can't see who we'd drop unless he became a left wing back
Just as a longshot, could he have come in for Stevens, especially if he’s supposed to be the player we’re led to believe?

I thought in the games I’ve seen Rodriguez play he tends to get tired (leggy) quite easily, so not sure if that’s because he’s not up to match sharpness/fitness/this level of football just yet, but I’m sure he will.
In the coverage following his signing, a few Notts. County fans mentioned that we’d see this, but it is just his style/manner rather than any lack of fitness.

It’ll be an interesting one, this.

If I had to guess, Mills is presumably playing to try and deal with Cadden as Carlisle gave us a torrid time down that side with wing backs. But Browne has played really well on that side so maybe Mills is just swapping straight in on the left as they see an opportunity there.

He’s supposedly a good little finisher so maybe they see him as someone who can cut in and hit the target.

Interesting shake up from Manning. Subtle change but enough to make Barnsley have a little think about things.

Not much to read in to Rodrigues. These are two tough games and Bodin was great on Tuesday. Difficult to drop him.

Just listened to Manning’s interview, very articulate … oh how I miss Robinson …

It’s been said a lot lately that Wigan have the best attack in L1 with Charlie Wyke, Callum Lang, Callum McManaman and Steven Humphrys.

Still it’s a surprising score line at table toppers Bolton.
local derby - geographically

That's a very strong looking bench! It's great to have some players to turn to to change the game if we're struggling.

This feels like a free hit today after the Derby win. A good performance is important - if we can come away with a point I'll be happy. Win and I'm going to start getting carried away

COYY

All set up for the away from home counters. Solid at the back, quick transitions. Excellent

Back
Top Bottom