Home Match Day Thread 18/5/2021 Play Off L1 OUFC v Blackpool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nonsense. Why did the ref give a free kick to Blackpool then ? Whether contact was made is irrelevant, it’s all about being in control and that was never ever Sykes’ ball to go for. He had a 30% chance at best of getting the ball. Yes, he managed to keep his feet down and that was clever of him but it was a risky challenge and a stupid one in the circumstances.
Never

No, but if you'd seen/heard the pre match noise, then how the mood got killed at 2-0 you'd know.

Face masks also kill any singing, annoying things to talk in let alone sing!
But what about the second half when we started brightly? I’m just thinking about myself, and if I was there. Look, I’m upset and disappointed right now, and I would tell my own puppy to go and suck it’s own mother. I’m probably not in the best mood to comment. Apologies

I know a few get pissed with my positivity so I've left it a while before posting!

Firstly, that was as emotional as I've been at a game for a very very long time. Recognising some old faces but missing many more, and know that some would never be back, hit me harder than I thought. I'm not ashamed to say that it brought a few tears to my eyes and made me realise that this was more than just a game.

As for the game, Blackpool were very good but we didn't really show up. We didn't have the fight that has been such a part of our recent run. It's hard to pin this on any individual but collectively it just felt like it was one game too far. But let's not talk about people not carrying. The players were hurting at the end, and as fans we need to be there for the good times and the bad.

The only positive is that we looked the same against Accrington but followed that up with a tonking against Crewe. Sadly, I think Blackpool are just too good to blow this lead - but stranger things have happened and an early goal or 2 could turn this on it's head.

Believing may no longer be enough! But we can pray and hang on to the thinnest of strands of hope and if it doesn't happen then at least we've given it a go and will clearly know where we need to improve.

Onwards and upwards!!
Not quite onwards and upwards, more like slightly backwards and stay where we are wards!

Thought the players tried their best but with the wrong game plan. The only player’s attitude I would probably criticise is Winnall and the way he just walked to the side of the pitch when his hammy went. If he’d stayed on and just stood still somewhere in the middle a Blackpool player would have had to cover him. Instead he decided to leave us with 10 men just as we had an attack. Despite his obvious disappointment a pretty crap thing to do I think for a guy of his experience and knowing it was his last game of the season.

Just read that blackpool thread. Pretty ungracious. Unlike some managers Robinson is a good human but just a little emotional.

Having said that I don’t judge a club by a few forum posters snd I wish them well in the final. Their team deserves to go up, were better than us today and better to have them out of the equation next season.

I would also disagree when they think the referee gave us everything. On another day they get two red cards and we get three penalties (Sykes incidents x2 (reds) and a follow through after a shot snd a potential handball). The handball would have been tough but the second Sykes shove was stonewall as he tried to stay on his feet and get the shot away . People on here blaming him for missing have never played striker.

Overall I thought the ref was decent but there were some game changing moments that could have been given the other way. At that point our possession would look class and they’d look like an Ill disciplined physical team with no creativity that relies on counter attacks.

it does make me think we need a more physical beast up front or in midfield ((Mcguane?) as we sometimes lack presence and can’t always rely on passing our way through to score.

Henry looks like he’s a squad player next season. Just lost his edge a little sadly.

Ruffels is fun in his great moments but not a natural defender. More a wing back simply because he’s prone to error.

If we get Barker next season we should make the field as long and wide as possible

Just read that blackpool thread. Pretty ungracious. Unlike some managers Robinson is a good human but just a little emotional.

Having said that I don’t judge a club by a few forum posters snd I wish them well in the final. Their team deserves to go up, were better than us today and better to have them out of the equation next season.

I would also disagree when they think the referee gave us everything. On another day they get two red cards and we get three penalties (Sykes incidents x2 (reds) and a follow through after a shot snd a potential handball). The handball would have been tough but the second Sykes shove was stonewall as he tried to stay on his feet and get the shot away . People on here blaming him for missing have never played striker.

Overall I thought the ref was decent but there were some game changing moments that could have been given the other way. At that point our possession would look class and they’d look like an Ill disciplined physical team with no creativity that relies on counter attacks.

it does make me think we need a more physical beast up front or in midfield ((Mcguane?) as we sometimes lack presence and can’t always rely on passing our way through to score.

Henry looks like he’s a squad player next season. Just lost his edge a little sadly.

Ruffels is fun in his great moments but not a natural defender. More a wing back simply because he’s prone to error.

If we get Barker next season we should make the field as long and wide as possible
Barker was lazy, couldn’t be arsed and a jack the lad, hope he’s nowhere near this place next season.

I've seen a few mention that Sykes was lucky not to get a booking for the challenge in the first half - absolute rubbish. Their defender created the contact and went over like he'd been shot. I'm glad the ref didn't fall for it like some of you have!

It happened right in front of me and I have to respectfully disagree!

Blackpool much the better side. We have to go for it in the second leg but that will only mean we lose 3-0 again sadly.

KR does not build championship winning/promotion teams. He builds teams that are great to watch and get some top wins but ultimately come up short when it matters (see his time at MK and Charlton too) He has 1 league one promotion in 10 seasons of managing teams that are always in (or should be) the top 7

He also has to sell his best players each year to balance the books. It's better to be where we are rather than the Wigans or Boltons of this World. We all know that the present model where rent has to be paid to Mr Kassam every year is unsustainable.

Selling Rob Dickie and replacing him with Rob Atkinson doesn't seem to have done us to much harm. Losing Tarique Fosu though has been a big blow to us. He has been an ever present in the promotion chasing Brentford site and you could see last night how we miss a player with his impact.

I don’t feel to bad compared to last year, much rather go out like this than throw it away at the end like against Wycombe.

I had a nagging feeling before last night that is what might happen though, we are not good enough against the better teams in the league.

Yeah but it's not like there's a second leg, is it?

Wanted to stay calm even if we lost, but it's hard not to be frustrated, I feel like we bottled it. We threw our own game out the window, even when under no pressure at the back we were consistently launching it long and giving it away. On the chances we did make, we bottled those whilst Blackpool made sure they took theirs.
Didn't expect us to progress in the playoffs but beyond disappointed with that performance. Home advantage, fans back and only needed to hold onto a draw or narrow defeat, so so poor.
Under no pressure at the back? They had 3 players high pressing every time Jack had the ball. He rarely had the option of doing other than kick it long. We didn't throw our game out of the window, they stopped us opening the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom