Away Match Day Thread 16/09/2023 L1: Fleetwood v OUFC

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
It’s felt like ages since that loss to Port Vale.

Fleetwood seem to be a bogey team and with the suspensions (Harris and Leigh) and international player injuries (Brown and Goodrham), it’s going to be tough!

Comfortably rolled them over despite spending the game in second gear, with the occasional (very brief) venture into third. Effortless and controlled. We play decent football but with a purpose and substance that wasn’t there before. This is what it looks like when a team is being coached to actually achieve something. Or perhaps this is what it looks like when a team is simply being coached at all.

There’s a quiet confidence about this group despite the fact they’re still settling into a groove, with a lot of young and inexperienced players who should only improve over the course of the season. We shouldn’t fear anybody in the division based on what we’ve seen so far.

Extremely impressed at the speed Manning and Co appear to have turned things around. Long way to go but it looks like we’ve got a shot.

Effortless and controlled. We play decent football but with a purpose and substance that wasn’t there before. This is what it looks like when a team is being coached to actually achieve something. Or perhaps this is what it looks like when a team is simply being coached at all.
I've a feeling this will be a theme this year. We might not roll over teams like we did under Appleton but we're great at keeping them at arm's length and and striking when we need to. Opposing fans might think we're decent but not great and that their own team didn't turn up but we'll make a lot of teams look worse than they are because we absolutely know what we're doing. Brilliant stuff.

I'll be interested to see what happens when we go a goal down as we've lost both games this season where that's happened l, although there are certainly extenuating circumstances in the Port Vale game. I think Southgate is similar, good at setting a team up and if it works it looks great but struggles to change things up when behind.

Far from saying this is definitely the case with Manning but so far he's stuck to his guns regarding formation regardless of what's going on. Hopefully he shows he's capable of wrestling control of a game back as he's got everything else right this season.

Just seen the goals.... All very good. Mills and edwards goals were absolutely disgusting though!
Mills has really come on and Edwards looks a hell of a player. Based on the very little I've seen so far I hope we try and make it permanent on January, he's always struggled with regular game time but I think Manning will get something out of him, he looks absolutely electric too. While his goal record isn't very impressive he's played very few minutes. He might well be a confidence player, he certainly looks to have the talent to rip this division a new a**e.

Mills has really come on and Edwards looks a hell of a player. Based on the very little I've seen so far I hope we try and make it permanent on January, he's always struggled with regular game time but I think Manning will get something out of him, he looks absolutely electric too. While his goal record isn't very impressive he's played very few minutes. He might well be a confidence player, he certainly looks to have the talent to rip this division a new a**e.

Edwards looks sensational. Mills is what a top quality loan should be (an improvement on what we have, without breaking the bank). As is Beadle. The recruitment this Summer has been first class.

Just watched the Edwards interview post-match and it's delightful, again. We're signing players who completely and utterly understand what we're trying to achieve - and are capable of delivering it.

Quality, and integrity.

I'm so impressed with what I've seen so far this season, I can't stress that enough.

This is what’s so encouraging. Mills should only get better the more he plays given this is his first taste of first team football at any level, and Edwards could well be the same given he’s spent so much of the last couple of seasons in particular being more of an impact player. A run of starts could do him wonders. If all goes well they could both have moved up another level by the end of October, let alone Christmas.

As an aside, the loans so far this season are a huge indicator of the improvement. Mills and Beadle are seen by their clubs as genuine future Premier League players, Edwards has already been one with WBA and is currently in his prime, Stevens is highly rated at Brentford and is an ever-present in the Wales U21 squad, and Perkins was deemed as a first teamer in waiting by West Ham before he was poached by Leeds a year ago.

It’s a world away from the constant rehabilitation projects of seasons gone by, and the “ring round” mentality that usually saw us scrambling around for players who had absolutely no future with their then-employers.

This is what’s so encouraging. Mills should only get better the more he plays given this is his first taste of first team football at any level, and Edwards could well be the same given he’s spent so much of the last couple of seasons in particular being more of an impact player. A run of starts could do him wonders. If all goes well they could both have moved up another level by the end of October, let alone Christmas.

As an aside, the loans so far this season are a huge indicator of the improvement. Mills and Beadle are seen by their clubs as genuine future Premier League players, Edwards has already been one with WBA and is currently in his prime, Stevens is highly rated at Brentford and is an ever-present in the Wales U21 squad, and Perkins was deemed as a first teamer in waiting by West Ham before he was poached by Leeds a year ago.

It’s a world away from the constant rehabilitation projects of seasons gone by, and the “ring round” mentality that usually saw us scrambling around for players who had absolutely no future with their then-employers.
This is what I always found ridiculous about the "I don't want loans, I want our own players!" argument. If done like we have this season then you get access to players who shouldn't be at that level which is pretty much what we have across the board now rather than taking what you can to plus the gaps you've left through negligence/incompetence.

Last edited:
Beadle was outstanding at claiming crosses today. Made the right call every single time, pretty much the only thing he had to deal with.

Good to see Moore putting his body on the line. Fleetwood had to fight for every second ball and earn every shot today.

Rodrigues was done around 60-70 mins and I’d have thought it was the perfect time for Perkins to get some minutes. Good before that - got plenty of attention from their defence.

Really, really impressive to have pretty much total control of the ball in the last 20 minutes.

What was the story on Mceachran?

We are a joy to watch at the moment. Earning the right to be taken very seriously.

This is what I always found ridiculous about the "I don't want loans, I want our own players!" argument. If done like we have this season then you get access to players who shouldn't be at that level which is pretty much what we have a cross the board now rather than taking what you can to plus the gaps you've left through negligence/incompetence.
Appleton was generally pretty good with the loan market as well. He brought in a fair few players who went on to play well above where we were as a L2 outfit, and even where we are now. Roofe, Kenny, Martinez and Baldock were the most obvious ones but the likes of Carlton Morris and Tyler Roberts have gone on to play in the Premier League. He also had Brennan Johnson at Lincoln, as well as Morgan Rogers. Plus he had the likes of Mason Mount, Harvey Barnes and Oli McBurnie lined up before he went to Leicester in the summer of 2017. Manning seems similar in the sense that clubs are willing to loan him players who they think have got a genuine shot at making it for them. We’re getting players who are wanted rather than those who are being helped out the door.

Go and look at the loans we had between summer 2018 and January 2023 and it’s pretty dreadful in terms of where the loan players have ended up after being here. We were utterly incapable of signing any player on loan that their parent club had any real interest in, or who were destined for a higher level than L1 at best. Grim.

Appleton was generally pretty good with the loan market as well. He brought in a fair few players who went on to play well above where we were as a L2 outfit, and even where we are now. Roofe, Kenny, Martinez and Baldock were the most obvious ones but the likes of Carlton Morris and Tyler Roberts have gone on to play in the Premier League. He also had Brennan Johnson at Lincoln, as well as Morgan Rogers. Plus he had the likes of Mason Mount, Harvey Barnes and Oli McBurnie lined up before he went to Leicester in the summer of 2017. Manning seems similar in the sense that clubs are willing to loan him players who they think have got a genuine shot at making it for them. We’re getting players who are wanted rather than those who are being helped out the door.

Go and look at the loans we had between summer 2018 and January 2023 and it’s pretty dreadful in terms of where the loan players have ended up after being here. We were utterly incapable of signing any player on loan that their parent club had any real interest in, or who were destined for a higher level than L1 at best. Grim.
i think this is going too far - Bate, Thorniley, Kane, Woodburn, Browne, Cadden etc

Back
Top Bottom