Away Match Day Thread 16/03/24 - L1: Port Vale v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The difference in house prices depending on where you live in the UK are crazy in general.
I bought a 300 year old cottage with a large garden in a small village (similar to somewhere like Bampton) in North Wales just 2 and half years ago for 165k, for the same kind of property with the same size garden 15 miles down the road in Chester would set me back anywhere from 350k upwards.

I worked with someone who retired from the Prison Service and moved from Bicester into exactly the same house (4/5 bed detached double garage) from the same construction company but on a slightly larger plot in a nicer market town near Lincoln. He pocketed just shy of ยฃ250k after fees and moving costs in the difference between both houses.

He even joked that because the house had exactly the same dimensions he didn't need a buy a single thing and the only thing he changed was his neighbours!

But then again, he hasn't got a Wetherspoons or a Wimpy so we're the real winners!

The difference in house prices depending on where you live in the UK are crazy in general.
I bought a 300 year old cottage with a large garden in a small village (similar to somewhere like Bampton) in North Wales just 2 and half years ago for 165k, for the same kind of property with the same size garden 15 miles down the road in Chester would set me back anywhere from 350k upwards.
Yep that's why my brother & son & lot's of friends have moved out of Oxford.To all over the country,just to expensive in every aspect. Most of them good old' oufc supporters ,some season ticket holders as well. Just relegated to a few matches near where they live & a few when they come back home to Oxford.
Such a shame ,& sad ...,

I worked with someone who retired from the Prison Service and moved from Bicester into exactly the same house (4/5 bed detached double garage) from the same construction company but on a slightly larger plot in a nicer market town near Lincoln. He pocketed just shy of ยฃ250k after fees and moving costs in the difference between both houses.

He even joked that because the house had exactly the same dimensions he didn't need a buy a single thing and the only thing he changed was his neighbours!

But then again, he hasn't got a Wetherspoons or a Wimpy so we're the real winners!
You say youโ€™re the real winners but I have moved 3 miles from the Weatherspoons in Mold which was ranked the busiest Weatherspoons in the country just a few years ago! We donโ€™t have a wimpy but they are putting a new KFC in Mold too (No, you canโ€™t stay at mine @greatunclekip just to go to it).

Yep that's why my brother & son & lot's of friends have moved out of Oxford.To all over the country,just to expensive in every aspect. Most of them good old' oufc supporters ,some season ticket holders as well. Just relegated to a few matches near where they live & a few when they come back home to Oxford.
Such a shame ,& sad ...,
Back in 2016 I looked at moving back down to Oxfordshire, my budget was 180k, in Chester I was able to get a 3 bed semi in a nice suburb of the city, for the same price I could only get a studio flat in Banbury!
You can see why the younger generation are leaving the county.

I live in an OX postcode but only a mile from an SN postcode (both in Oxfordshire), thereโ€™s even a notable difference for similar properties within those two post codes!

Sharing this because I don't want to be alone. I listen to most of the away matches on BBC Oxford. They have a bit of audio they play before the match and at half time (I think the cool kids call it a 'sting'). Anyway at the end it has Rosie saying "weeeeee are unnnnnnnnnnnnnder way". I have had that stuck in my brain for months and I cant get rid of it. To the extent that - if I take my kids to school, of start work I put on Rosie's voice and say out loud: "weeeeee are unnnnnnnnnnnnnder way". I may need help.

Sharing this because I don't want to be alone. I listen to most of the away matches on BBC Oxford. They have a bit of audio they play before the match and at half time (I think the cool kids call it a 'sting'). Anyway at the end it has Rosie saying "weeeeee are unnnnnnnnnnnnnder way". I have had that stuck in my brain for months and I cant get rid of it. To the extent that - if I take my kids to school, of start work I put on Rosie's voice and say out loud: "weeeeee are unnnnnnnnnnnnnder way". I may need help.
Pretty sure it's Nick Harris! For what it's worth, I say it too!

It's Nick isn't it? Not Rosie

Back in 2016 I looked at moving back down to Oxfordshire, my budget was 180k, in Chester I was able to get a 3 bed semi in a nice suburb of the city, for the same price I could only get a studio flat in Banbury!
Yep my boy & brother can't come back now can't afford it. Both on same wages as ,when they lived in Oxford..
Big loss both big Oxford United fans, reduced to the odd game.....

Moving from London to Texas was an eye opener. Iโ€™m not even going to tell you what I was able to suddenly get here that wasnโ€™t affordable in the uk for fear of being a pariah

Only winner with uk property is the banks interest, governments stamp duty and the estate agents Commission

Last edited:
You say youโ€™re the real winners but I have moved 3 miles from the Weatherspoons in Mold which was ranked the busiest Weatherspoons in the country just a few years ago! We donโ€™t have a wimpy but they are putting a new KFC in Mold too (No, you canโ€™t stay at mine @greatunclekip just to go to it).
Mold is worth living in purely down to its proximity to lovely, lovely Llangollan.

I live in an OX postcode but only a mile from an SN postcode (both in Oxfordshire), thereโ€™s even a notable difference for similar properties within those two post codes!
Iโ€™m the reverse - SN post code in Oxfordshire but I went right to the top of my budget at the time to buy it 6 years ago. Had it been an OX post code Iโ€™d be living somewhere else, the jump is wild.

Moving from London to Texas was an eye opener. Iโ€™m not even going to tell you what I was able to suddenly get here that wasnโ€™t affordable in the uk for fear of being a pariah

Only winner with uk property is the banks interest, governments stamp duty and the estate agents Commission
Do they have a Wetherspoons in Texas though?

Thanks @foghorn . I just needed to make sure I wasn't alone.

Anyway, better crack on with work now. ("And weeeee are unnnnnnnderway")
Unrelated, but I'm amused by Nathan Cooper's announcement at the end of half time that "the two teams are not very far away". I'd kind of hope that to be the case!

• React
Reactions: m
Back
Top Bottom