Away Match Build Up 16/03/24 - L1: Port Vale v OUFC

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steve Gilbert

So after last nights s**t show of a performance what team would you put out for Vale away?

I’d go with:

Cumming
Stevens Moore Thorniley Bennett
Matete Brannagan
Dale Harris Murphy
Goodwin​

Subs: Eastwood, Leigh, Brown, McGuane, Henry, Bruery, Rodrigues

Eastwood
Stevens Moore thorniley Bennett
Brannagan
Dale Bodin Henry Murphy
Goodwin

If Smyth was fit ( I'm unsure if he isn't fit tbh) I'd put him in place of Bodin

IMG_1774.jpeg
Get two up top, stop pussy footing around with Goodwin, and get him playing.

Matete has not looked good so far, but McGuane was a disgrace on Tuesday, and Smyth I assume is still injured, so give Matete a start.

Really like Leigh, but he’s been shite since returning from injury, whereas Bennett is yet to have a bad game when he’s started, so swap em.

Long is not good enough at this level, that’s obvious, but Stevens is even worse, he’s awful, so no choice but to play Long.

Cumming is rubbish, Eastwood is the much better keeper, even with the ball at his feet, and he’s the more experienced, so swap em.

It’s a sorry state of affairs to be in, to be bringing in a 34 year old flawed goalie, a 33 year old left back, a league 2 standard right back, and a half fit, crap looking midfielder, but that’s the position we find ourselves in I’m afraid.

Try to give the fans something to cheer about please…

Last edited:
I cannot be bothered to make a prediction. Who cares which player starts, does it make any difference?
Frankly, if whichever team selected fail to get a result against Port Vale, a side that haven't won in 13 games, then what next?

Cumming
Stevens Moore Negru Bennett
Brannagan Matete/Smyth
Dale Bodin Murphy
Goodwin

Brown has been poor for some time. I'd be looking to give Negru an extended go in the first team alongside Moore. He had a great start to the season and i believe there is a player in there. He just needs a run of games.

2-1 win to keep our slim hopes alive.

I think we will lose this one after all port vale haven't won in 13 games

2-0

View attachment 18324
Get two up top, stop pussy footing around with Goodwin, and get him playing.

Matete has not looked good so far, but McGuane was a disgrace on Tuesday, and Smyth I assume is still injured, so give Matete a start.

Really like Leigh, but he’s been shite since returning from injury, whereas Bennett is yet to have a bad game when he’s started, so swap em.

Long is not good enough at this level, that’s obvious, but Stevens is even worse, he’s awful, so no choice but to play Long.

Cumming is rubbish, Eastwood is the much better keeper, even with the ball at his feet, and he’s the more experienced, so swap em.

It’s a sorry state of affairs to be in, to be bringing in a 34 year old flawed goalie, a 33 year old left back, a league 2 standard right back, and a half fit, crap looking midfielder, but that’s the position we find ourselves in I’m afraid.

Try to give the fans something to cheer about please…
I'd swap Brown for Negru and keep Cumming in goal, but apart from that I'd be fine with that side.
Let's stop rewarding failure and sub-par performances!

Bung Cumming, Brown, Rodrigues out, replace with Eastwood, Negru and anybody apart from Matete.

2-0 to them.

Port Vale truly are dreadful looking at their recent results. I mean, so are we, but if we fail to win this one then I can’t see how anyone can possibly still want Des at this club.

I'm looking forward to Saturday because I enjoy visiting post-industrial shitholes that I'd never have a reason to set foot in otherwise. Also meeting up with a good friend for a pre-match stroll and a good few pints.

As for the game, I think we will win it. But I also think Des will have learnt absolutely nothing from Bolton (just as he's learnt nothing from the preceding 20 or so games) and doesn't have the cajones to get the squad firing. My prediction is based on some of the squad motivating themselves sufficiently to beat a very bad Vale team.

I've had no confidence in Des' ability to inspire anyone since I watched his "team introduction" video. He's out of his depth and the reason I've always thought that is nowt to do with his history and lack of experience at this level, but everything to do with his personality and people skills. A decent and intelligent guy but, just like Patterson and Clotet before him, not a decent manager.

Good to visit a ground that isn’t surrounded by massive car parks and chain shops. That’s my definition of a s**t hole. Some good pubs and a little bit of interesting architecture in Burslem. I’m looking forward to having a nose around before getting to a ground that promises to reward efforts at creating some atmosphere.

Last edited:
Good to visit a ground that isn’t surrounded by massive car parks and chain shops. That’s my definition of a s**t hole. Some good pubs and a little bit of interesting architecture in Burslem. I’m looking forward to having a nose around before getting to a ground that promises to reward and efforts at creating some atmosphere.
Yes 100%. Grounds like ours and MK's are my least favourite to visit. I suppose shithole comes across as a bit pejorative. What I really mean is, the area is a shadow of it's former self and I'd hate to live there.

The area is totally fascinating, both architecturally and socially. I'm looking forward to having a walk about and hopefully a chat with some locals. It's definitely not their fault what has happened to their once grand town.

Yes 100%. Grounds like ours and MK's are my least favourite to visit. I suppose shithole comes across as a bit pejorative. What I really mean is, the area is a shadow of it's former self and I'd hate to live there.

The area is totally fascinating, both architecturally and socially. I'm looking forward to having a walk about and hopefully a chat with some locals. It's definitely not their fault what has happened to their once grand town.
Fair play. You sound like myself: away grounds give you a chance to visit places you would never otherwise, and most places have something interesting to see. See you in the Bull’s Head or Titanic Brewery Tap :)

I applaud the triumph of hope over common sense for those going to Port Vale! (No, I am not being sarcastic)

Will we win? Well it's doubtful we will play a team in poorer form, but the truth is that we are also very poor. Over the last 12 games we are 20th in the form table, they are 23rd (https://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england3).

1-1 with them equalising after we take the lead and stop playing properly. Buckingham comes out afterwards to tell us it was a good point at a difficult place to go and that there are still 7 games left.

Back
Top Bottom