Away Match Day Thread 16/03/24 - L1: Port Vale v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
the start of 3 straight wins.
Four.

Think we'll beat PV, Shrewsbury, Fleetwood and Burton.

The games don't need to be pretty, don't need anything approaching perfection, but we do need to see everyone battling from the first whistle to the last and putting their bodies on the line where it matters.

Any win, any scorers.

REF WATCH

Select Group 2 referee Jeremy Simpson from Lancashire is the man in the middle at Vale Park today. He refereed the 4-2 home win over Wigan last month
and the 1-0 home win over Carlisle back in August. In both of those matches, Simpson produced his yellow card on fourteen occasions.
He was fourth official at St Andrews on Tuesday night but referee Andy Davies got injured and Simpson refereed the final 35 minutes.

GFxRp-WXoAARX6H

PLAYED FOR BOTH

DxsHatfW0AEq2kn

Includes Mark Harris, Matt Taylor, Jack Stevens, Connor Ripley, Darren Purse, Martin Foyle, John Durnin, Olamide Shodipo,
Lewis Haldane, Martin Aldridge, Arjan van Heusden, Chris Allen, Ben Purkiss and many others.

Four.

Think we'll beat PV, Shrewsbury, Fleetwood and Burton.

The games don't need to be pretty, don't need anything approaching perfection, but we do need to see everyone battling from the first whistle to the last and putting their bodies on the line where it matters.

Any win, any scorers.
We certainly couldn't ask for a better run of games. All below us in the table with Vale and Burton on bad runs at the moment like us.

A win today could give us some confidence going into the next 3. Like you say, doesn't matter how we win.

Keep thinking nil nil between two sides who are out of form but then can we keep a clean sheet? Looks less likely every game. Have a nagging feeling they will win 1-0, hope not and it turns around today but we look a mess and can see a hangover from Tuesday.

For me, this is the hardest game of the season to predict. I've got most of my previous predictions wrong, but at least I thought I knew what was going to happen beforehand!

We'll either go one up then fall apart and lose 2-1 or it'll be 0-0 or we'll thrash them.

Absolutely no idea about this one. Should be a reaction to Bolton, but it all depends on what team is out there (in all senses of the word).
I'm going for a cautious 1-0 that leaves nobody any the wiser as to where we are.

This is a loss for me due to the gulf in experience in the dugout. One things for sure, itā€™s probably our hardest to predict selection in years! But Darren Moore will be that much better at navigating the game - heā€™ll see Des coming a mile off and they are well overdue a win.

Itā€™ll be a significant win if we can get it but I donā€™t see a reaction coming. I think weā€™ll lose this one 2-1 and fear it could be curtains for Des at that point.

Iā€™d change things up and go;

Cumming
Stevens, Negru, Moore, Brown, Leigh
Brannagan, Rodrigues/McEachran
Dale, Goodwin, Murphy

Back to basics - throw the wingbacks forward towards the box on the overlap, get the crosses in and have a proper go at putting some pressure on.

Iā€™m a big McGuane fan but anybody in their right mind can see heā€™s gone off the boil and nobody should have a sure place in the team. I wouldnā€™t play anybody who is passive in games. Harris had gone missing completely, not just goals, Iā€™m surprised to see him escaping criticism but in his defence heā€™s carried that position alone all season long. But today he should sit out.

Iā€™m not convinced about the claims on Ruben, I still think he cares and is just angry. Anger is better than passive. Itā€™s a tough call but you need a progressive passer of the ball in midfield somewhere. We miss the option of McEachean and with Des playing such a low tempo passing game from deep, I canā€™t understand for the life of me why he isnā€™t using him for the first hour of games. I think if Rubenā€™s disengaged itā€™s because heā€™s fed up of the lack of coherent plan that gets him in to games rather than Des specifically and that is totally understandable - attackers want involvement.

Big decisions for Des today. Every game from here could be his last so he needs to be able to reflect and know the teams he put out are ones that gave him the best chance.

Last edited:
Eastwood
Stevens Moore thorniley Bennett
Mceachran
Brannagan Smyth
Dale Goodwin Murphy

It's time Des showed some balls and dropped the players that aren't performing to an acceptable standard and it's time for the players that are out on the pitch to show some pride and fight for eachother

Head says we will lose 2-0 heart says we win 1-4

Let's hope for a win ,other wise it's leg pulling all week.

Back
Top Bottom