Away Match Day Thread 13/03/2021 L1 Hull City v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just break Mallik Wilks legs with the first challenge and we’ll be okay.

Stevens
Hanson Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Gorrin
Kelly Brannagan
Lee Taylor Barker

Ever the optimist, I think we will nick it today. I wouldn’t be against Forde starting ahead of Lee, if he isn’t quite back to full fitness. I think having Lee as an option for the final half an hour, may work to our advantage. I would love Agyei to start today, but I cant see it. Again, another great option for the final half an hour.

Ruffels has to be on it today, because he is up against one of the best in the league. I’m not going to make any assumptions but when faced with a player that’s even marginally above average, he scares me to death and looks dodgy. Barker needs to stick to his defensive duties and get stuck in today!

That being said, 2-1 to the Yelluz! Taylor and Atkinson.

Last edited:
Last time we played them at theirs was 2004 under Atkins, we took a big crowd up as we were both going for promotion, game ended 4-2 to them which if I remember rightly was a game that could of went either way. Now we all know how it ended after that game with Atkins falling out with Ka$$am, leaving for Rovers and us missing out on the play offs. You could ask wether the events that followed would of happened if we came out that game the winners.

Anyways my point is we went up there with a 20k crowd behind them and gave them a real fight. This time round there is no crowd and it's only 11v11. Nothing to be fearful of.

If we do lose I hope its like last time where we can say we put up a real fight.

My only experience of the KC was the 4-2 defeat under Atkins. It wasn't the worst defeat I'd seen, they played some really nice stuff and seemed set up for success. I was surprised that they did not keep the Allsopp and Burgess strike partnership together for longer.

Those really weren't happy years to follow Oxford!
I'm glad some of you lot are not doing the team talk. It's Hull City, not Man City! They're a League One team, just like us, and not some invincible mega force, where we should meekly turn up to take a beating!

We might win, we might lose, but FFS let's go there with a bit of pride and fire in our bellies. We're Oxford United and we've just beaten the scum!
To be fair, no one here is under the impression that they're giving a team talk and no one here is saying we should turn up meekly and take a beating.

If we all sit here for 46 games a year predicting a 3-0 win because we're Oxford United then this would be a really boring forum. You have some folk who will always predict a win, some who will always predict a loss, and some who predict a mix of both. No one but a complete weirdo ever predicts a draw.
Hull were my pick before the season to win the league, and despite a couple of blips along the way I stand by that. Although we got a creditable draw in December, on reflection we were pretty lucky to get anything out of that - after a brilliant opening half hour, no doubt spurred on by an actual real life home crowd, we hung on a bit for a good hour. Hull looked physical, organised and effective, and in Honeyman have maybe the division's player of the year. We are a different proposition this time around, and 12 positions higher up the table, but they're on a superb run of form, winning their last 4 on the bounce, and I suspect will have too much for us.

We're organised and compact enough to not get beaten badly (we haven't lost by more than one goal in the league in nearly four months), but I don't think our forward line is quite back to its best either. A draw would be an excellent result, but there would be no shame in a loss. I'm going to say 2-0 Hull, which we'll take on the chin and move on. COYY
I thought Honeyman looked a bit of a handful too. Plenty of people have pointed out that Wilks is a bit of a goal machine on the right, whilst Elder at LB seems pretty good at getting the ball forward quickly so their wingers have space to attack. I hope our right mid looks to put a bit of pressure on him.

Whilst recent results for them are very impressive, it's worth noting they have had a bit of luck like all teams on winning runs. Peterborough were drawing until they lost a man (and the third was a penalty). Bristol Rovers had ten men on the field when they conceded their first. Rochdale had a man sent off (and apparently scored an own goal to boot).

I think a home win is the most likely result but absolutely we can get something.

Still going to be 39 points to play for after today, we need about 24/25 more so a defeat here wont be the end of the world.

Feels like a bit of a free hit, a draw would be very good, a win would be fantastic !

I would be happy enough to get out of there with our morale intact and no new injuries or suspensions.

I'm glad some of you lot are not doing the team talk. It's Hull City, not Man City! They're a League One team, just like us, and not some invincible mega force, where we should meekly turn up to take a beating!

We might win, we might lose, but FFS let's go there with a bit of pride and fire in our bellies. We're Oxford United and we've just beaten the scum!

This is partially the reason for my overly positive posting! The negativity from some drives me insane, and I try to present the other side of the coin. But the reality is that no teams are unbeatable in this league, and Hull have lost exactly the same number of games as we have. Yes they're in good form and have a strong side and some genuine strength in depth, but they'll be just a sworried about us as we are about them.

Stay solid at the back, look to control the middle of the park, and trust in Agyei/Barker/Taylor/Lee to find the spark that we need to grab a win. Win this and we can go 6th. Win this, and our games in hand, and we're 3 points off Hull. Win this, and Doncaster will be coming here on Tuesday looking to park the bus! Win this, and the whole league will really take not.

And if we lose, we go again Tuesday!

We have to be sure that whoever plays on the left of midfield/attack is aware and ready to put in the hard yards helping out ruffs today

We have to be sure that whoever plays on the left of midfield/attack is aware and ready to put in the hard yards helping out ruffs today
I reckon itll be the return of Ruffelino today, weighing in with a late winner

A 0-0 bore draw would do me and I reckon we will get it, the ball won’t even enter either penalty area.

0-0 I’d take decent result a late 0-1 I’d love because that would show we are more than capable to do something this season 1-0 I wouldn’t be to disappointed purely because there are a load of games left to pick up the points we need if we got hammered 4,5 - 0 I think I’d be pissed off

This is partially the reason for my overly positive posting! The negativity from some drives me insane, and I try to present the other side of the coin. But the reality is that no teams are unbeatable in this league, and Hull have lost exactly the same number of games as we have. Yes they're in good form and have a strong side and some genuine strength in depth, but they'll be just a sworried about us as we are about them.

Stay solid at the back, look to control the middle of the park, and trust in Agyei/Barker/Taylor/Lee to find the spark that we need to grab a win. Win this and we can go 6th. Win this, and our games in hand, and we're 3 points off Hull. Win this, and Doncaster will be coming here on Tuesday looking to park the bus! Win this, and the whole league will really take not.

Scotchers

it’s not negativity it’s reality
Obviously in any given match 11 v 11 anything can happen. Hull might have an off day we might play out of our skins
But realistically and taking away the fact that some on here think we will win every game,the pools panel would have this down for a home win.
Then take into consideration our injury list

Obviously we all want a win but let’s be realistic

Something strange has come over the forum... what's it called?

P-p-postman? Po-po-possibility?

I remember, positivity!

Let's go and smash 'em!

Why not 2-1 to us? So long as our team turn up they can win.
Will be tough as they won at Peterborough.
League One is very tough. Hull and Sunderland both in form for top two.
Peterborough, Portsmouth, Lincoln looking good for play offs.
I think second place is beyond us but we might just squeeze into the play offs

Last time we played them at theirs was 2004 under Atkins, we took a big crowd up as we were both going for promotion, game ended 4-2 to them which if I remember rightly was a game that could of went either way. Now we all know how it ended after that game with Atkins falling out with Ka$$am, leaving for Rovers and us missing out on the play offs. You could ask wether the events that followed would of happened if we came out that game the winners.

Anyways my point is we went up there with a 20k crowd behind them and gave them a real fight. This time round there is no crowd and it's only 11v11. Nothing to be fearful of.

If we do lose I hope its like last time where we can say we put up a real fight.
Win lose or draw would of made no difference, the damage had already been done i'll say no more than that.

As for that game we were very much 2nd best on the day

Events were summed up by their fans singing Top of the League and you fuc*ed it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom