Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Hull City

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 26 46.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hull lost to MK dons and Ipswich at home in Feb. (and lost at Burton) They are no world beaters. Keep their wingers quiet and we can beat them

Stevens
Hanson Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Gorrin
Kelly Brannagan
Forde Agyei Barker

OR (if brannagan’s out)

Stevens
Forde Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Hanson Gorrin
Sykes Lee Barker
Agyei​

Such limited options, with so many injuries, so we’re just gonna have to try to bodge together a lineup, try to carry on the vibe from the win against the scum, dig in and hope for the best!

I’d be very happy with a draw from this one.

COYY

Last edited:
Expecting a hammering.....surprise me...................

Interested in this Tony because I think we often see similar things on the pitch but I could not be more against this.

Taylor does not strike me as a particularly gifted sprinter, crosser or dribbler. He's not a slouch and he carries the ball perfectly well for a #9 but that's very different to asking him to beat a man on the outside.

I don't like the thought of asking him to track back and help out an RB that doesn't have a lot of experience in the position, especially against a team with good wingers.

His best attributes are being in the right place, getting a shot away and finishing well. When he's been out of form, some of those things haven't been going well for him, but that hasn't made his crossing etc any better.

I would tear my hair out if KR learned the Agyei lesson and then shoved Taylor to the wing. When he is in form, he's one of the best strikers in L1 and that is the player we need.

In my opinion, the best way to get that back (besides patience and rotation with Agyei) would be to get more people around him. Have Brannagan (or someone else in his absence) really bombing forwards to join attacks through the middle and give the centre backs a decision to make. Barker is very attacking and can be encouraged to drive right to the byline. Players like Lee, Henry and Sykes can drift back and forth to stop us getting overwhelmed in the midfield when the CM attacks, whilst still offering plenty in their own right.

OK, let me try and defend the suggestion.....

.....firstly, I'm assuming that Cam, Shodipo, Henry, Long & Winnall are all out for Saturday. Meaning that we need to play Forde at RB, and the only natural fit down the right hand side is Sykes (I guess you could play Lee there, and then a midfield three of Gorrin, Hanson & Kelly - that's the play if you want to park the bus. And as I type this, and the more I think about the Hull team, the more I think that might well be the sensible option. But I'm going to write this on the assumption that we're not going to do that, and that we're going to go for it a little more).

Mark Sykes really frustrates me as a player. He has a great engine and some good skill - but going forwards, his decision-making and end product really hasn't improved much at all. And defensively, he's not a great tackler and he's prone to mental lapses. I still haven't forgiven him for failing to track his runner against the scum in November.

I agree that when Taylor's on, he's probably the best finisher in the league and the only person you'd consider for the striker role.
But as we saw on Tuesday, he's completely lost his shooting boots for now; in parallel, Agyei has been very good and deserves his shot up top.

But:
a) Our best chance of getting into the playoffs this year is to play Taylor back into form, and that's not going to happen if he's sat on the bench
b) Despite what he did on Tuesday, I still don't see Agyei as a natural finisher. But he is a dangerous player who creates space for his teammates, and I would like to see what Taylor could do with that space (but I'm not going to hold my breath at the possibility of playing two up front. KR won't do that)
c) Taylor is simply a better forward than Sykes, even with a wonky shooting radar, and he's comparable defensively.
d) Not sure how relevant it is that Taylor can't cross a ball - it's pretty rare for us to score from a cross from one of our wide frontmen. I don't think I can ever remember scoring from a Sykes cross, other than the one he overhit into the goal at Wembley!

Stevens
Gorrin
Hanson Kelly
Sykes Agyei Barker​

or

Stevens
Gorrin
Hanson Sykes
Barker
Taylor Agyei​

Hull have hammered some teams but on the basis that we have conceded what 4 or 5 goals in the last 8 games including playing Peterborough and Charlton why would anybody expect us to be hammered?
Being a pessimist is much easier...

Memories of two games of Hull away which set us off in two different directions:-
Div 3 promotion season 1984 at the old Boothferry Park, a Mick Vinter winner on Tuesday night. Followed by wins at Bradford and Sheff Utd in a week. 9 points set us nicely on way to promotion.
20 years later, 2004, possibly Hull's first year at their new stadium. Top of table clash, 20,000+ attendance. Going very well in Div 3, albeit shocking football under Ian Atkins. Something went very wrong! Basham scored but we lost 4-2 and from thereon it was a dreadful downhill journey for 5 years.

a) Our best chance of getting into the playoffs this year is to play Taylor back into form, and that's not going to happen if he's sat on the bench
b) Despite what he did on Tuesday, I still don't see Agyei as a natural finisher. But he is a dangerous player who creates space for his teammates, and I would like to see what Taylor could do with that space (but I'm not going to hold my breath at the possibility of playing two up front. KR won't do that)
c) Taylor is simply a better forward than Sykes, even with a wonky shooting radar, and he's comparable defensively.
d) Not sure how relevant it is that Taylor can't cross a ball - it's pretty rare for us to score from a cross from one of our wide frontmen. I don't think I can ever remember scoring from a Sykes cross, other than the one he overhit into the goal at Wembley!
Sorry for the format of this, I'm on my phone and sure it will be atrocious but some thoughts on these:

A) absolutely agreed, when I talk about rotation I don't mean dropping. If we are playing two games a week and Winnall is injured then each can average a full 90 per week, which is plenty of time to get in form.
B) the only thing I'd say is KR not doing something doesn't mean he shouldn't. The more I think about it the more we seem to be struggling to find three central midfielders, and struggling to name just one striker. A manager needs to work with the players he has and get the best from them and I'm not sure 4-4-2 isn't a way to do that in the coming weeks.
C) he's a better striker certainly, I have no idea how he is as a midfielder or a winger. Mind you, I'm not as big a fan of Sykes as some on here.
D) the relevance is that crossing is something a winger can do to fulfill one of his main responsibilities - creating chances. Our best wingers this year have been players than beat a man and take a pop from distance - which I don't see Taylor doing, meaning he has to do something else. It won't be crossing, that's a mark against him.

I think we take chances from winger crosses when we get them. Henry is a pretty decent source of such chances imo, it's just that both him and Taylor have been off the boil. Forde would be too, but he's had to cover other positions. Barker has a very decent cross on him, but he's been putting them into an isolated and out of form striker.

So being a pessimist is easier if you want to cover your a**e.

My question, though, is whether it's better to be a pessimist who's proved correct or an optimist who's proved wrong?

(Obviously the other two options are better than either of these, at least where the mighty Yellows are concerned.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom