Away Match Day Thread 13/01/2024 L1: Carlisle United v OUFC

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carpy

Staff member
More confident of a win than I was a week ago, will be a critical month for us if we want to maintain a promotion push, let's start with 3 points against Carlisle!

A great win but again, against a poor side.

So far in the league, Des has beaten:

Burton (19th)
Cambridge (16th)
Charlton (13th)
Carlisle (23rd)

Don’t get me wrong, you’ve got to beat the teams below you and if we can go on a run of wins that’s great, but I’ll really start to believe if we can beat one of those top 7 sides who seem to be pulling away…

1 - Portsmouth (4)
2 - Peterborough (11)
3 - Bolton (12)
4 - Derby (12)
5 - Oxford (9)
6 - Barnsley (11)
7 - Stevenage (7)
8 - Blackpool (9)

Only 4 teams in the top 8 have accumulated more points than us in the last 5 games. I wouldn’t say there is any particular team pulling away. We are reeling Portsmouth in and Barnsley are still catching up.

I would like to see games played equalise so that we know exactly where we are, but I still don’t see that we will be too far away.

Given the past few months, it is great that we have not really lost too much ground.

Lets see where we are at the end of January.

Looks like the squad and management have a bit of a backbone.

At a time of significant injuries, players playing out of position, changes behind the scenes the team have ground out 4 wins in their last 6 league games. That’s a cracking return.

With players returning from injuries, along with a few new signings then in a couple of weeks Des could be selecting from todays squad plus another 6 or 7 players. What a position to be in.

That was a big win today. Big in a few ways, take your pick from - 3 points, more goals for Harris, more minutes for the returning Tyler G, minutes for Leigh and no new injuries!

Plus the squad have a clear week to get ready for Northampton. Happy weekend to all yellows!!

Wishful thinking, I think the EFL will try and get them to finish the season for "integrity"
Not so sure. Looks like they're going under. I think (?) Bury's results were voided when they went bust. I suppose I should feel a bit sorry for Reading fans but tbh I know a few Reading fans and they found the Kassam stadium/relegations etc endlessly amusing. So what goes around comes around.

Not so sure. Looks like they're going under. I think (?) Bury's results were voided when they went bust. I suppose I should feel a bit sorry for Reading fans but tbh I know a few Reading fans and they found the Kassam stadium/relegations etc endlessly amusing. So what goes around comes around.
Pretty sure Bury went bust between seasons.

Wishful thinking, I think the EFL will try and get them to finish the season for "integrity"
Christ on a bike! As long as they dock 'em a few more points to make absolutely sure they go down, for "integrity" The one they took off us would do for starters!

Last edited:
Aldershot went bust 36 games into a league season, and their results were expunged.

Just on the train back to north wales. What a great away day! Met up with some well known faces in the Griffin before the game and then sampled the fans zone, what a great set up they have there! Easy to get a pint with several bars open, things for kids to do, food stalls and the early kick off on a big screen. It shows what can be done easily. We all mentioned it would be possible to have something like that at the fence end before a game.
As for the game, well let’s just say it wasn’t a great game of football! We didn’t get out of our half for the 1st 20 minutes but Carlisle really don’t have much attacking threat!
Harris almost looked shocked when he scored like he did it by accident.
Got off to the perfect start by Harris scoring early on but even then he almost messed it up 🤦🏼‍♂️ after that it was comfortable and Carlisle offered nothing, even after they scored they didn’t put much pressure on.
MOM for me has to go to Ruben just for some of the outrageous flicks and touches he did, he was plucking it out of the air like he was playing against kids at times.
As for the home fans, I was shocked how quiet they were as I’ve always seen Carlisle to have passionate, loud support.

Finally, Cumming is an upgrade on Beadle! He was so loud you could hear him in the away end and as for the save he pulled off in the 2nd half, that was something else!

Overall, a very good day at the office.
Was that you at carlisle station after the match around 18:30? Good to say hello.

They were booted out of the Football league 4 weeks into the season but never actually played a game, they were suspended pending providing proof of funding and paying bills etc for those weeks , which they obviously didn’t. Think we only played 44 games that season as a result.

Same season Bolton in the same league were able to miss games but allowed to carry on which caused a bit of controversy.

Wasn’t it the very start of the COVID season…? Both they and Bolton were given chances to satisfy certain criteria over several weeks, which Bolton only did by fielding their under-15s in a League tie vs Wycombe, which was ultimately the factor that gave Wycombe a foot up into the playoffs ahead of Peterborough, when the season was prematurely curtailed?

Bury, on the other hand, couldn’t even manage that and were booted some 6-8 weeks into the season.

Back
Top Bottom