Away Match Day Thread 13/01/2024 L1: Carlisle United v OUFC

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carpy

Staff member
More confident of a win than I was a week ago, will be a critical month for us if we want to maintain a promotion push, let's start with 3 points against Carlisle!

I’d say that comes within the category of banter and is quite funny, it’s annoying when the opposition do it but OK. Sam Smith amplified it tenfold like a prize t**t, even disregarding the Joey context.
Sorry but if you disregard the Joey context, I’m not sure what Smith did wrong. You can’t disregard the context, which is what makes it a discussion.

Just watched the first half plus first 5 minutes of the second. We were very sloppy in the first half with several players giving the ball away. McGuane and Rodrigues were particularly wasteful. Carlisle pressed hard for the first half hour and with better players would likely have scored. I think there were two key points which changed it in our favour.
1. The stoppage while Rodrigues was being treated. Our players went to the dugout and Des had a chat with them. I think this is the point that the formation changed a little, pushing Stevens further forward.
2. Three of their central players were booked, meaning they couldn't press our midfield as hard.

Our first goal came out of nowhere really. A corner very poorly defended, leaving Moore all by himself to nod the ball into the 6 yard box. After that it's unclear what happened other than the ball coming off Harris and into the net. Even then, Carlisle very nearly scored at the very end of the half.

I can already see from the start of the second half that Carlisle gave us a lot more space, and our passing was a bit crisper. The goal was well taken, even though the keeper did well to get a toe on it which forced Harris to go back and turn before shooting. I'm not sure he meant it to be that close to the post but it just went in anyway!
Someone on twitter, I think maybe oxfordanalytics, did a good breakdown of that goal. It’s actually a very canny corner routine. Moore immediately peels off to the back post and the players in the middle block any players going with him, leaving him free to nod it back across goal for a chance from the second ball. Really pleasing in a half where it didn’t look like we were going to create too much from open play, the best teams at this level make the most of set plays. Look at Derby at our place for one.

Slightly late to the party, but very happy with that result. It was a potential banana skin of a fixture, so good to get a win. I might be wrong, but I think it's the first time we've won two in a row since November, and with Northampton at home up next we have a good opportunity to get a bit of a streak going. It's tight at the top, so 5 or 6 wins in a row could see us back in the autos.

Well done to Des and team. COYY!

Every club has it idiots but Carlisle do seem to have their fair share considering they had to ban some kids just the other week.

It’s a shame as it does seem a really good club up there with a good fan base.

Oh and just for @Essexyellows, even racially abusing the assistant referee didn’t get them singing!

Chris Foy analyses our second goal vs Carlisle.
Clearly onside from the angle they use. I've tried to capture the image, the ball has already been played to him in the shot below, and you can see he's onside by a foot or two.

1705506067716.png

Chris Foy analyses our second goal vs Carlisle.

Well, thats odd.
Not the decision, he was on.

No, where have they got that camera angle from? It's from the opposite side to iFollow.
I'd like to see the other goals from that angle, especially Tyler's.

Well, thats odd.
Not the decision, he was on.

No, where have they got that camera angle from? It's from the opposite side to iFollow.
I'd like to see the other goals from that angle, especially Tyler's.
That confused me as well seeing it from the other side of the pitch.

It's incredible what football supporters see. I wasn't looking at the line or the linesman or even Harris until after the ball was played, so I guessed he was slightly off, because he often is and he was well clear.

But Carlisle supporters have genuinely been saying he was well offside and the linesman wasn't in line, both of which are completely false. I hope they watch this, especially the (now banned) dickhead who racially abused said linesman.

Back
Top Bottom