Away Match Day Thread 13/01/2024 L1: Carlisle United v OUFC

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carpy

Staff member
More confident of a win than I was a week ago, will be a critical month for us if we want to maintain a promotion push, let's start with 3 points against Carlisle!

Great win yesterday and 2 very well taken goals by Harris.
At the game I couldn't see the finish for the first, and the highlights aren't clear either, but there is a video showing the reverse angle and its a lovely back heel flick.

Goodrham? He doesn't score tap-ins does he.

Finally, have to laugh at Wycombe conceding a 98th minute equaliser yesterday.
I wonder where the 8+ minutes could possibly have come from???

Just watched the first half plus first 5 minutes of the second. We were very sloppy in the first half with several players giving the ball away. McGuane and Rodrigues were particularly wasteful. Carlisle pressed hard for the first half hour and with better players would likely have scored. I think there were two key points which changed it in our favour.
1. The stoppage while Rodrigues was being treated. Our players went to the dugout and Des had a chat with them. I think this is the point that the formation changed a little, pushing Stevens further forward.
2. Three of their central players were booked, meaning they couldn't press our midfield as hard.

Our first goal came out of nowhere really. A corner very poorly defended, leaving Moore all by himself to nod the ball into the 6 yard box. After that it's unclear what happened other than the ball coming off Harris and into the net. Even then, Carlisle very nearly scored at the very end of the half.

I can already see from the start of the second half that Carlisle gave us a lot more space, and our passing was a bit crisper. The goal was well taken, even though the keeper did well to get a toe on it which forced Harris to go back and turn before shooting. I'm not sure he meant it to be that close to the post but it just went in anyway!

Brilliant result yesterday, if we add to this squad who knows where we could end up. Only 2 things I want to point out:

1) Ciaron Brown has been CLASS at centre back and we unfairly judged him playing out of position as a LB. He is composed, strong, perfect compliment to Moore.

2) Goodrham is underrated by some. He's not in their because he's one of his own, his shooting from outside the box is the best in the squads including Brannagan.

UTSO.
Didn’t Brown get player of the year playing at left back? Most people appreciated him for the job he did out of position, wasn’t his fault that the Salford manager didn’t believe in full backs.

Brown has always said he’s a centre half.
should never really listen to supporters criticism, as half will say one thing and the other will say opposite.
Although playing out of position to get players player of season. Says everything.
Quality signing.
should never really listen to supporters criticism, as half will say one thing and the other will say opposite.
Although playing out of position to get players player of season. Says everything.
Quality signing.
Happy birthday Ciaron
Keep it going

Quality signing.
To be fair player of the year was an incredibly low bar last year. Brown was good and deserved it but no better than that. That's not meant as a criticism either, he won it based on his attitude as much as anything.

However as you say, he's a centre back. It's absolutely no surprise that a proper left back is better than he is there and that he, and by extension the team as a whole, looks better when he's next to Moore in the middle. One of the most promising things Des has done was signed Bennett meaning we could keep Brown in the middle rather than asking him to play a role he's not suited to. I can think of a certain manager who would have just shoved Brown at full back which isn't fair on him not the best thing for the team.

Reverse angle of Harris' first goal

Very nicely taken finish and I'm delighted he's looking more confident.

As an aside, I'm surprised half the forum aren't up in arms about his celebration, shushing the Carlisle fans and cupping his ears etc. What happened to the "no dickheads" rule? It's not the first time he's done it either. What an A*****e eh?

At the game I couldn't see the finish for the first, and the highlights aren't clear either, but there is a video showing the reverse angle and its a lovely back heel flick.
Or, as described by the traditionally sh1te ifollow highlights commentary: "somehow bounced off the striker" 🙄

Yesterday’s goal and the one Goodrham scored against Cambridge reminded me of Roofe.

Clearly a different type of player but the cutting in from the left and hitting it across the keeper into the far corner was very Roofesque.

Good to get his contract sorted, clubs further up the food chain will be taking notice.

Exactly this in every way.

Roofe reckoned he learnt to hit across the keeper from Thierry Henry.

Only difference seems to be Tyler looks "smaller".

As an aside, I'm surprised half the forum aren't up in arms about his celebration, shushing the Carlisle fans and cupping his ears etc. What happened to the "no dickheads" rule? It's not the first time he's done it either. What an A*****e eh?
Standard modern footballer celebration, they just do it out of habit.

I’d say that comes within the category of banter and is quite funny, it’s annoying when the opposition do it but OK. Sam Smith amplified it tenfold like a prize t**t, even disregarding the Joey context.

The goal, with celebration was for Stan Mills. That's class in my mind.
1705252215534.png

Had resigned myself to one point yesterday given our injuries, exhausted squad and players being recalled. Fortunately Moore and Leigh were back and Cumming and Burey were available. Des and the boys exceeded (my) expectations and fill me with hope once the squad is complete. A well deserved three points. Hoping for three more from Northampton. I’m sure there will be a few iffy results in January while we’re squad building but things look more promising for February and beyond.

Back
Top Bottom