Home Match Day Thread +++ 12/10/2019 L1 OUFC v Doncaster Rovers +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked this up of FB in response to a Doncaster fan praising us.

Oxford should have beaten us at bloomers. Great team and I fancy them to go up automatic. Us well we will be top 12. Larrys been left plenty of deadwood that needs shipping out.

Back after an overnight following the game. A thoroughly effective performance with a special mention to Mark Sykes, who was pretty much in the wars throughout but put in a very good shift. Confirmed for me that the summer’s dealings were very considered; Gorrin is a great replacement for Mous/Kashi and Cadden gives us different dimension from Sam. Mackie cements his cult hero status. Less bothered about attendance levels, Coventry has been our only home game where a large visiting support pushes attendance levels up, with Bristol Rovers, Pompey, MK, Wycombe, Sunderland, Ipswich, Wimbledon still to come. Glass half full.

Picking one or two fixtures doesn’t really give a proper picture anyway, surly the season average is the way to gauge it?

First 6 home league gates last season averaged 6461. This season's average so far is 6809 so still only 5% increase.

The attendances include away fans.

Last season we played: Fleetwood, Accrington, Burton, Coventry, Walsall & Luton.
This season: Peterborough, Burton, Coventry, Tranmere, Gillingham, Doncaster

Average home match attendances for last 3 seasons (including cup games) was:
2018/19: 6589
2017/18: 6730
2016/17: 7403

The promotion season average was: 7289

Maybe we are being a bit harsh on attendances considering our averages over the last few seasons have been average at best and that includes some good cup runs, a promotion and the highest league finish in 20 years.

Why are people so bothered about attendances? Seems like a storm in a teacup, it doesnt really matter does it? The Kass is s**t when it's sold out as well, it doesnt have the facilities for it, West Ham I queued for 25 minutes to get a half time pint it was awful!

First 6 home league gates last season averaged 6461. This season's average so far is 6809 so still only 5% increase.

The attendances include away fans.

Last season we played: Fleetwood, Accrington, Burton, Coventry, Walsall & Luton.
This season: Peterborough, Burton, Coventry, Tranmere, Gillingham, Doncaster

Average home match attendances for last 3 seasons (including cup games) was:
2018/19: 6589
2017/18: 6730
2016/17: 7403

The promotion season average was: 7289

Maybe we are being a bit harsh on attendances considering our averages over the last few seasons have been average at best and that includes some good cup runs, a promotion and the highest league finish in 20 years.
With the really big games still to come , we could have the highest average fir a number of years especially five keep the current form up.

Why are people so bothered about attendances? Seems like a storm in a teacup, it doesnt really matter does it? The Kass is s**t when it's sold out as well, it doesnt have the facilities for it, West Ham I queued for 25 minutes to get a half time pint it was awful!

Reducing losses? Creating an atmosphere? Long term development of the club?

Having low attendances are fine but then fan expectation must come down a little then because higher attendances means higher income directly to the club.

The average cost of a member ticket across the board is £13.19. Take that number as a guide then the club would of got £90527.08 for yesterdays game.

If we had got just under 400 more fans to make a 7200 crowd then the club would of got an extra £4440.92. Over 23 league games that is £102141.16. That money could be used to get an extra player in, the be put into the infrastructure of the club.
If you took yesterdays gate as an average and the £13.19 then it doesn't even cover the whole player wage bill for the season.

Because they are hugely important to the financial viability of the club.

Yeah points taken, but, while it would be BETTEr if there were higher attendances, its not as if the current attendances are actively holding the club back is it? Yes it would be nice to get more people in moving forward, but its not as if unless we get 7000 through the turnstiles against Rochester the club's going to go the sam way as Bury? And more people doesn't necessarily equate to better atmosphere.

Not trying to be contrarian, just don't think the situation is really as bad as many are making out.

Yeah points taken, but, while it would be BETTEr if there were higher attendances, its not as if the current attendances are actively holding the club back is it? Yes it would be nice to get more people in moving forward, but its not as if unless we get 7000 through the turnstiles against Rochester the club's going to go the sam way as Bury? And more people doesn't necessarily equate to better atmosphere.

Not trying to be contrarian, just don't think the situation is really as bad as many are making out.

I think its more the case that for a while many have used the quality of football on display as the driving factor behind not turning up. We now have (over the last 11 games or so) looked like we play good football, and score plenty - the domino effect of that is that this team/management etc deserve an increase in attendance to compliment it.

As have been outlined previously, there are plenty of reasons for folk not to attend - issues such as parking, the ground have been a constant for 20 odd years. I looked into research on attendances (mostly in the U.S) and there is some interesting stuff out there!!

I think its more the case that for a while many have used the quality of football on display as the driving factor behind not turning up. We now have (over the last 11 games or so) looked like we play good football, and score plenty - the domino effect of that is that this team/management etc deserve an increase in attendance to compliment it.

As have been outlined previously, there are plenty of reasons for folk not to attend - issues such as parking, the ground have been a constant for 20 odd years. I looked into research on attendances (mostly in the U.S) and there is some interesting stuff out there!!

Parking really shouldn't be an issue/excuse. The ground has the best car parking facilities in the whole of the football league and its free! There is also places to park within a 10 minute walk to the ground that are also free. It might need a bit of planning etc but surely you would plan most journeys you would do.

The stadium "soulless excuse" is a valid one but if fans don't turn up or do anything about it then it will stay soulless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom