Home Match Day Thread +++ 12/10/2019 L1 OUFC v Doncaster Rovers +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cameron Brannagan amongst the goals again :

EGscILgWkAM2i2Z

It's not just fixtures to be rearranged, though. It's also the Bury effect.

On October 22nd, we're going to sitting around twiddling our thumbs whilst everyone else in League One is playing.
Both of our fixtures against Bury were set for midweek which in my opinion means you don’t notice them missing as much. If it were a blank Saturday rather than a Tuesday night it would be a real kicker. And at least after sitting it out the table will be a little more accurate and we’ll have a slightly clearer idea of where we are sooner rather than later.

In all competitions we've seen 40 goals and 2 penalty shootouts in 11 games at home, with 8 wins, 1 draw (Coventry) and 2 defeats (Burton, Pompey).

We're playing some fantastic football, got some genuinely top quality players at this level and are slowly working our way up the league, and are 90 mins away from the quarterfinals of the league cup!

If that's not enough to get people through the gate, then I don't know what more we can really do? (Except all tickets for a £1 or whatever bullcrap some expect!!!)

Pompey was a draw, we got a point.

Thought we did to Doncaster today what Fleetwood did to us a month ago.
They clearly like to pass it out from the back (like us), but we constantly harried them, never gave them any space and forced them to play their passes under pressure - and they couldn't do it consistently. Whereas some of our close quarter passing was outstanding.

Everyone was great today, Fosu, Dickie and Brannagan were super-great, but my man of the match was Gorrin. Doncaster were never able to get a foothold in the centre of park all afternoon, and he was the prime reason why. An epic break-it-up-then-move-ball-on defensive midfield display.

It's been a pretty epic month.
I hadn't realised how good Gorrin is in the air until today, either. One of the reasons us forcing them to play it long worked was because Dickie Mous and Gorrin were mopping up everything above head height!

Well that was just lovely. Imo, we weren't fluent all game but had spells where we were excellent.

Gorrin was my man of the match, just superb. His timing in the tackle was a beautiful thing to watch. His reading of the game and positioning meant others could play.

What a strong run from Fosu for the 2nd goal, he just wasn't going to be stopped.

And I thought Mark Sykes did himself no harm in keeping that starting berth. Liked his attacking play, worked back although got caught out a few times and seemed to strike up a partnership with Cards. Also, he wasn't going off for injury today!

James Henry looks lost when on the left, excellent before that switch though.

Another point is how much better on the ball Dickie is - compared to their CBs who at times treated the ball like a live hand grenade, he looks calm and composed on the ball and much different from last season. Having 10 outfield players who are comfortable on the ball makes us a hard team to play against. We aren't afraid to play football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom