Ex Player #11 Joey Beauchamp RIP

Truly one of the best players OUFC has ever had and i'm honoured to have seen him play for us....RIP Joey :-(

Hope you're ok MY [emoji169]
Yeah, I am okay. I WhatsApp him a few months back and he said he was 110%.

Bit tearful this morning, so many memories, we had our first beers together at The Dewdrop. My Mum would invite him over for dinner and I would play 5 card brag at his house.

I was at CF when he played for WHU in a pre season friendly and even went to Swindon a few times (please forgive me).

He loved Oxford, as a City and the Club.

My wife also messaged him when I had my heart attack 3 years ago and he was worried and sent his wishes.

I hope for the Cambridge game we can have a full house and everyone can pay their respect and honour.

Back down with a crash. Buzzing after Charlton. Just got in to watch this afternoons highlights and now this. 😥😥
OUFCX

Awful news - my favourite ever player, and one of the best (if not the best) to pull on an Oxford shirt. RIP.

Watching some of his goals online (why isn't there a video of all his goals and best bits!) and just started blubbing. Like many on here Joey was such a huge part of my best Manor memories.
Thoughts are with his family.
So sad. R I P Joey
Thank you for all the memories

Also, reading back through articles, I realise how awfully certain types of players were treated back in the day. Not just Billy Bonds' unfeeling comments about Beauchamp, but memories of Mark Wright slagging him off for not wanting to play with a "stubbed toe" (or something similar) as though it was an attitude thing, rather than the injury that would end his career. There was definitely a pervasive narrative that Joey was indeed a "wimp" (as described by Bonds) rather than a brilliant but sensitive player who should have been nurtured.

RIP Joey. Although I never saw him play (building a life overses when he was a player) the reactions in this thread tell me I really have missed someone special.

Waking up on a Sunday morning, then your brain functions and you remember what's happened.

Joey joins the memories of The Manor. They bring back nostalgia, fun, excitement and more.

It feels like a part of the football club's foundation has been lost. We've lost The Manor and now Joey.

Last edited:
On days like yesterday, puts things in to perspective. Rivalries forgotten (nice to see - class from those that shared their respects), it’s a life lost, a wife and two children facing life without their partner and father.

I personally found it hard when he went down the road, but nobody cares now. RIP Joey.

Very dignified response overall from Swindon fans has to be said.
Very much, especially after some of the awful Martin Aldridge chants in the past.

Credit to them and West Ham fans for the response.

Last edited:
Rip Joey.

Oxford legend and arguably the greatest ever to pull on our shirt.

From what you read and hear from those around him. All he wanted was the simple things in life and to play for Oxford. That did for Joey.

Fortunate to be a ball boy at the manor to see first hand him destroy full backs. Especially remember him taking Julian Dicks apart which has been said sealed the move to West Ham.

Sleep well Joey. X

When I saw the this new thread pop up I feared the worst.
Not only was he one of the greatest ever players I’ve seen play for the club, he was also my Childhood hero.
Very very sad news. Thoughts are with his family and two children.

Yeah, I am okay. I WhatsApp him a few months back and he said he was 110%.

Bit tearful this morning, so many memories, we had our first beers together at The Dewdrop. My Mum would invite him over for dinner and I would play 5 card brag at his house.

I was at CF when he played for WHU in a pre season friendly and even went to Swindon a few times (please forgive me).

He loved Oxford, as a City and the Club.

My wife also messaged him when I had my heart attack 3 years ago and he was worried and sent his wishes.

I hope for the Cambridge game we can have a full house and everyone can pay their respect and honour.
Yeah, a full house is needed on Saturday as a mark of respect for one of the greatest ever. Let's all get in the ground by 2.40 and sing his name.

For the second time in less than 12 months we've been rocked by the passing of a legend. If their is to be a new stadium and statues then Mickey and Joey should be there.

Only just heard this devastating news. Totally lost for words. My sincerest heart felt condolences to all his family and friends. My thoughts are with you.

For those of us lucky enough to see you play it was a total privilege and we will never ever forget. You will always be held in the hearts of the Oxford United family. Thank you Joey for all the memories.

Back
Top Bottom