Home Match Day Thread +++ 09/02/2019 OUFC v Sunderland match day thread +++

Over the 2 games v Sunderland I thought that we were a bit unfortunate to come away with only the two points.
I thought that Barnsley look a much better team and even Pompey looked better (especially at their place)
They appeared to target Browne at the SOL and yesterday took out Whyte 2 to 3 times.
We have certainly scrapped in the last few games and at times have played some good football.
If we put in the same effort for the rest of the season we really should be fine.
The one thing that Sunderland do seem to have is a very good goalkeeper. He kept them in the game with some very good saves.
If they do go up they need to rebuild big time.
Oh and how can Maguire not get on the bench? He would have given them some much needed guile.

I thought he was supposed to be a central midfield powerhouse?!
He started as a full back and was converted into a midfield player.
We paid for him as a midfield player granted but it is untrue to suggest that he is not a full back.

I came away from the Barnsley game thinking that we'd benefitted from most the refereeing decisions. I think it's fair to say the refereeing debt has been well and truly repaid now.

1. Reece James should've been booked after 5 minutes when he nailed Whyte. Whyte had turned him and was away. I can understand a ref trying to let stuff go in early exchanges but a clear yellow is still a clear yellow regardless. Whyte had him on toast all game and James was eventually booked on 62 minutes. If the ref had given him the yellow after 5 minutes then there's a very good chance we would've been playing against 10 men at some point, or forcing Sunderland into a substitution.

2. Mackie gets elbowed in the head and the defender draws blood - Mackie penalised for the foul. I guess these northerners aren't as tough as they think if they can't take a head to the elbow.

3. Wyke goes down in front of the South Stand in the second half to waste time. Mousinho gets clattered by their player (Gooch, I think), ref sensibly plays on. Whyte picks the ball up and once again skins a Sunderland player who lunged in and now Whyte is away. Ref calls it back for the foul on Mousinho and books Gooch. Why! We had the advantage man!

Plus a load of stuff I can't be bothered to bring up. I actually thought that he would blow for a foul by Sinclair in the run up to our goal but maybe he had decided to finally try and even it out.

Another great performance from us though. Keep our home performances going and we just need to start picking up a few away wins and we'll be fine. Say what you want about Yobbo but the players are obviously still playing for him.

I thought overall we had a good game, we must accept that these are L1 players, so prone to mistakes, we could, indeed should have been at least 1 up at half time, their goalie did make a great save against a Mackie header, but perhaps the header was too near the goalie, future towards the post and it would have been in. Before that Henry put a good chance passes the far post,
Their goal was slack defending, he wanted it more than our defence. Henry missed a glorious header in the second half. There is a good chance Nelson won’t he here, or he may be waiting to find out which league we will be in before he commits, Dickie has proved time and time again that he’s not quite good enough at the moment. He does win a few headers but 1 assist aside his headers go anywhere.
Ruffles isn’t a natural left back but has done an ok job. Hanson is getting better, but again prone to mistakes.
I thought yesterday we were without doubt the better team, apart from 10 mins after they scored.
As it stands I do think we are too good to go down, but we are in a relegation battle, and that’s what we must do.
If we play as we did yesterday, but being more clinical in front of goal, I hoping we will stay up
COYY

I would have been happy with a point before the game but gutted we didn’t take all 3, we should have had at least 1 before half time and not sure how Henry missed the header in the second, from behind the goal it was a poor poor miss, in general he didn’t have a good game, and I’m sure having a child in hospital explains this performance, perhaps being on the bench might have been the answer.

Players are just like anyone else, it is understandable that family matters, such as having a child in hospital, will affect their performance. Fans are often not aware of these circumstances.

On another note my girlfriend comes to football with me, in her words if she didn’t she wouldn’t be seeing me every other weekend
She does seem to be more interested in the crowd than the game sometimes, but at least she’s there..... we are in the Oxford mail stand and her big concern yesterday was.......... ‘where was drummer boy’ ??? As she calls the lad with the drum ........

Our goal. It’s certainly not a foul by Sinclair; the defender is trying to obstruct his run. How good to see real pace in the side: it’s a quick break from defence (a great pass; who was it?) but both Browne and Whyte are there when Sinclair arrives in their penalty area. The wingers today scared the s**t out of them.

I agree Dickie is not the finished article, but he don't half launch that ball out of defence. No messing about. It is heart in the mouth stuff at times.

Graham mom for me he is just superb....whyte is great but needs that cross decision making sharpened up ..... good performance overall .... mackie still my favourite forward .....sinclair hmmm twice iv seen him fall over the ball now obv lacks confidence cant comment on assist as was in the cellar...ref well ffs is he from sunderland? COYY 3 points next week and where is jonte give him a run please lol

Our goal. It’s certainly not a foul by Sinclair; the defender is trying to obstruct his run. How good to see real pace in the side: it’s a quick break from defence (a great pass; who was it?) but both Browne and Whyte are there when Sinclair arrives in their penalty area. The wingers today scared the s**t out of them.
Think the pass was made Carruthers

It is. He started in football as a right back. His first games for Derby was as a right back.
He us a right back.
I have a work associate who is a Derby season ticket holder of more than ten years and he disagrees with you. Says he never came through as a full back but they attempted to turn him into one repeatedly, because he loved to tackle and they knew he would never hold down a centre midfield role there, but that it was a disaster and he never got the hang of it. His exact words when we signed him were “if you try to play him at full back you’ve wasted your money.”

I’m not passing any comment on Hanson or how he’s performed, I’m simply saying that your constant insistence that he “IS a full back” isn’t true. I’ll take the Derby season ticket holder at his word on that.

Jerome Sinclair skins Jack Baldwin before cutting the ball back for Marcus Browne to roll in:

DzCA5MHUUAAskfE

Carruthers? All 3 subs involved in goal.

Last edited:

Donald pays for champagne football but gets bitter end.

Unimpressed with that report, massively underplays our performance, which wasn't scrappy, and dealing with a poor pitch.

Especially underplays our total dominance in the 2nd half as we stopped them playing whilst piling the pressure on. The only time they had any pressure of note in the 2nd half was after we scored.

Someone told me Chris Maguire played for Sunderland ! I didn’t even notice him.

He obviously thought we played in red and white stripes.

Having seen it back, and now seeing Ross’ comments it has pretty much solidified my opinion that it was hardly a clear-cut foul and, therefore the ref probably made a correct decision in giving the benefit of the doubt to JS. The fact that even when having the ‘benefit’ of seeing it again (Jack Ross’ words) he comes out and says he thinks Sinclair ‘pulled’ their defender tells you just how innocuous it was.

The guy went full tilt to try and get between Sinclair and the ball, couldn’t quite manage it (or retain his balance) then toppled over as Sinclair maintained his natural stride pattern. The contact was minimal and certainly didn’t amount to a ‘pull’

Back
Top Bottom