Home Match Day Thread +++ 09/02/2019 OUFC v Sunderland match day thread +++

Didn’t say he had a bad game, just said he’s a liability and the position needs addressing.

He’s not a natural defenders so on many ocassions gets the wrong side of his man or loses the run of th player.

He’s a young player, who will continue to improve. Man of the match at Burton last week.
I have a work associate who is a Derby season ticket holder of more than ten years and he disagrees with you. Says he never came through as a full back but they attempted to turn him into one repeatedly, because he loved to tackle and they knew he would never hold down a centre midfield role there, but that it was a disaster and he never got the hang of it. His exact words when we signed him were “if you try to play him at full back you’ve wasted your money.”

I’m not passing any comment on Hanson or how he’s performed, I’m simply saying that your constant insistence that he “IS a full back” isn’t true. I’ll take the Derby season ticket holder at his word on that.
He’s a right back now though. And on the last few performances he’s only going to get better. We need more like him.

I came away from the Barnsley game thinking that we'd benefitted from most the refereeing decisions. I think it's fair to say the refereeing debt has been well and truly repaid now.

1. Reece James should've been booked after 5 minutes when he nailed Whyte. Whyte had turned him and was away. I can understand a ref trying to let stuff go in early exchanges but a clear yellow is still a clear yellow regardless. Whyte had him on toast all game and James was eventually booked on 62 minutes. If the ref had given him the yellow after 5 minutes then there's a very good chance we would've been playing against 10 men at some point, or forcing Sunderland into a substitution.

2. Mackie gets elbowed in the head and the defender draws blood - Mackie penalised for the foul. I guess these northerners aren't as tough as they think if they can't take a head to the elbow.

3. Wyke goes down in front of the South Stand in the second half to waste time. Mousinho gets clattered by their player (Gooch, I think), ref sensibly plays on. Whyte picks the ball up and once again skins a Sunderland player who lunged in and now Whyte is away. Ref calls it back for the foul on Mousinho and books Gooch. Why! We had the advantage man!

Plus a load of stuff I can't be bothered to bring up. I actually thought that he would blow for a foul by Sinclair in the run up to our goal but maybe he had decided to finally try and even it out.

Another great performance from us though. Keep our home performances going and we just need to start picking up a few away wins and we'll be fine. Say what you want about Yobbo but the players are obviously still playing for him.

Thankfully, they didn’t go down to 10 men. We all know what happens then.

warnings re pitch deterioration were given at Oxvox open members meeting in november

Oxford Uni groundsmen were dispensed with as pitch maintanance team a few days later

pitch looking very tired especially in front of South stand

Question is, whats being planned to put it right (again)?
Don't bother, we'll be out of there in 5 years.

He did admire the photo of himself celebrating Vs Swindon in the tunnel area with another Sunderland player though.

Is that the 7 fingers one? Iconic. Never get tired of that photo.

I have to say reading the reports about Jordan Graham is a delight. I had a concern which I voiced on here about whether he would be as good as last time when accounting for a weaker team, higher division, the injury and no Baldock.

I’m delighted to have been proven very wrong and have a little bit of bird foetus on my face.

- I needed to give their keeper more credit for the save from Ruffels.

- Jordan Graham will be kicking himself for that miss.

- What a cross by Hanson for Mackie's header. Which he needed to put it a further foot or so to the back post and he'd have scored.

- Nelse was totally caught on the wrong side for their goal.

- Definitely not a foul for our goal. The more I've seen it, the more impressive the composure and play by Jerome Sinclair is. Also great positioning by Marcus Browne with Gavin Whyte clearly busting a gut to get there as he was behind MB.

How didn't at least one of their players get booked for dissent after our equaliser with the crowding around the lino and the Ref (who had already told them to go away)?

Back
Top Bottom