Home Match Day Thread +++ 07/04/2018 OUFC v Oldham Athletic Match Day Thread +++

f*****g hell those last minute goals have been priceless. The difference between being 5 points outside the relegation zone and being 3 away from a team with a game in hand.

Yes, but this was a red letter day for us. We were playing a struggler at home, and most of our rivals were playing better sides. Walsall and Blackpool, clearly, have helped their cause enormously.

Looks very much like Bury, Cobblers and MKD are going down. There are now about four teams vying to avoid 21st spot. Problem is, if we cannot beat Oldham at home, where are our points coming from? It's not a disaster, but hardly inspiring confidence that we are going to win a game. Think we may have to rely on AFCW to do poorly in the run-in. That Scunny equaliser will have hit them hard, having led all game.

Hasn’t that always been the case though? Some of us have been saying since u started betting on relegation at xmas. That where are these other teams storming above us. Another poor game yet we’re still 5 points clear and 17th. We of course wouldn’t make it easy for our selves as it’s oxford. Still one win from the next two home game and I think that will be us safe

For all our faults this season, probably the most glaring one is the lack of senior wingers. For a whole season you should have a minimum of four, yet we only have three: Henry (good but unlikely to attack the opposition with any pace), Hall (perpetually injured) and Buckley-Ricketts (pretty meh). (Napa is emerging but it's still early days for him.)

It's on the wings where you really can attack and exploit teams (look at how opposition sides have targeted our flanks in recent games), and it's the one thing that I think is constantly letting us down, both in going forward and protecting our full-backs.

Odd day. Just keeping our head above water. Effectively we are a relegation form team but with 5 point advantage over those in the relegation zone. At the moment we are just about keeping pace with those below us, which hopefully should be enough.

Players looked absolutely shattered after 70 minutes... the last thing we look like we need is a game Tuesday..

Massive goals from Scunthorpe and Portsmouth today. It’s in our hands! We are creeping towards to magic number! Hopefully get that win in one of the next two home games.

Players looked absolutely shattered after 70 minutes... the last thing we look like we need is a game Tuesday..

Another Pep failing. His training methods were awful.

It could have been a lot worse today. We actually gained a point on the last relegation space. Avoid defeat or beat Fleetwood and we’re almost there.

Hasn’t that always been the case though? Some of us have been saying since u started betting on relegation at xmas. That where are these other teams storming above us. Another poor game yet we’re still 5 points clear and 17th. We of course wouldn’t make it easy for our selves as it’s oxford. Still one win from the next two home game and I think that will be us safe

I'm rather surprised that you can sound so smug, Dave... as if you were yourself predicting this horrendous demise (which you most certainly were not). I really hope that Robinson is not so complacent and self-satisfied.

Saying that we are five points clear is technically true, but not effectively true, as Rochdale have a game in hand and their current points accumulation is more than a point a game. Assuming they are going to lose is no way to go. We should assume that teams will continue to do at least as well as they are doing, if not a little better. We must, must, must remember that we have two games that are effective write-offs. So whilst we have "six games to go", it is effectively 4 games. If we win one of them and lose the rest, then I believe that we may well go down with 50 points. Football history is filled with the carcasses of clubs who thought that some rival or other could surely never pull off two wins. But that is all it is.

Much more worrying, though, is performance level. To have three shots on target at home against a relegation struggler is just abysmal. If that is the standard then it is perfectly possible that we will not win another game. They really do have to buck their ideas up pretty swiftish. Today was our easiest remaining game. A draw does not help us, and it is delusion to think that it does. Our whole club needs to front up seriously now to to the possibility of relegation, man up etc. You make your own luck, and at the moment we are begging for the Gods to knee us in the stomach.

I'm rather surprised that you can sound so smug, Dave... as if you were yourself predicting this horrendous demise (which you most certainly were not). I really hope that Robinson is not so complacent and self-satisfied.

Saying that we are five points clear is technically true, but not effectively true, as Rochdale have a game in hand and their current points accumulation is more than a point a game. Assuming they are going to lose is no way to go. We should assume that teams will continue to do at least as well as they are doing, if not a little better. We must, must, must remember that we have two games that are effective write-offs. So whilst we have "six games to go", it is effectively 4 games. If we win one of them and lose the rest, then I believe that we may well go down with 50 points. Football history is filled with the carcasses of clubs who thought that some rival or other could surely never pull off two wins. But that is all it is.

Much more worrying, though, is performance level. To have three shots on target at home against a relegation struggler is just abysmal. If that is the standard then it is perfectly possible that we will not win another game. They really do have to buck their ideas up pretty swiftish. Today was our easiest remaining game. A draw does not help us, and it is delusion to think that it does. Our whole club needs to front up seriously now to to the possibility of relegation, man up etc. You make your own luck, and at the moment we are begging for the Gods to knee us in the stomach.

When have I ever predicted a demise? That would be you dear boy. At xmas . I think u will find that I have consistently said we have enough to stay up. And a lot of the teams have to play each other, if Rochdale continue their run, then they will beat Oldham and put them in danger. They are the only team down their looking like putting enough of a run together. If we win tue or sat that could easily be us 8 points clear, can u really see teams putting together a run to get that amount of points? And if they do then we eat what we deserve for not being able to manage to get the results in these 3 games. I wanted 4 points from these 3, were still on course for that, but need to step and earn them.

Oh and a draw doesn’t help us ??? Really, I thought every point is going to be vital

Thomas and Henry out at moment for Tuesday.

Mowatt back so he'll slot in for Henry. Suspect Napa will be in for Thomas.

With the space likely on the bench. Screw Buckley-Ricketts leave him to rot and put a a youngster on the bench who wants to be there even if he doesn't play someone who will appreciate the chance.

Buckley Ricketts,makes Van Kessel look worth 900,000.

When have I ever predicted a demise? That would be you dear boy. At xmas . I think u will find that I have consistently said we have enough to stay up. And a lot of the teams have to play each other, if Rochdale continue their run, then they will beat Oldham and put them in danger. They are the only team down their looking like putting enough of a run together. If we win tue or sat that could easily be us 8 points clear, can u really see teams putting together a run to get that amount of points? And if they do then we eat what we deserve for not being able to manage to get the results in these 3 games. I wanted 4 points from these 3, were still on course for that, but need to step and earn them.

Oh and a draw doesn’t help us ??? Really, I thought every point is going to be vital

Do I "think we are going to go down"? I would have it as a one in 5 chance. But as we snake towards those nasty away games averaging 0.75 points a game, the can is getting pretty dented from being kicked down the road.

Do I think it a given that we will win Tuesday or next Saturday? On today's 'performance' no.

Is a home point against a fellow relegation contender a good thing? On balance, no. So does it really "help" us? In the same way as being kicked in the a**e rather than on the head "helps". It's crap, and a bad outcome, but not the very worst it could have been.

In short, I have watched enough horse races in my life to know that 6-1 shots certainly can, and do, win. So I feel very uncomfortable at our current position. Of course, you think it's more or less Ok (in terms of the club's health) if we get relegated and I do not, which may explain the dichotomy in our point of view!!

You thought that we would finish "mid-table"!!!

I think that was one of our hardest remaining games. Six pointers are always tough and it was a very intense contest.

The team worked hard today, largely, but quality was lacking in open play. Obika was asked to play the big man against the left back and he really didn't get fully engaged in the game when out wide. Their 3 was lucky to stay on the pitch. A quite horrific challenge and then got away with a blatant tug in front of the lino. That lino, was bad for both teams - some very strange decisions (and the lack thereof). We need to create more in open play as we don't get enough set pieces to make up for it. IBR was awful.

I thought the support was largely excellent. The usual morons around me let themselves down as usual - god knows why they go to games, because I can't work it out. With the games we have left, support the team or just don't go. We don't need those negative waves in the ground.

The numbers don't really back up what you are saying. Below shows recent form in PPG and then finishing points based on recent form. This would put us on 53 points and 6 teams below us and Rochdale equal. Even if we exclude the 2 games, which i don't agree with, we would be on 51 and safe.

I agree we are a bad team, but it is a fallacy to discount how poor teams below/around us are.

PPG (last 5 games using bbc league table)/ Estimated finishing position based on PPG and games left
Oxford 1 / 53
Walsall 0.6 / 50.6
Oldham 1 / 51
AFC wimbledon 1 / 49
Rochdale 1.6 / 53.2
Dons 1.4 /49
Nothhampton 0.2 /41
Bury 0 / 30

You thought that we would finish "mid-table"!!!

And you thought we were “going for it” then that we would be relegated while 10th so put a bet on, then cashed that in as u thought we would stay up, then changed to us looking like going down again. Still , keep spouting enough “knowledge” and ur bound to get it right at some point as u have pretty much covered every outcome. Ur also taking my midtable comment from before a ball was kicked, since then I have continually said we’re not great, but we have enough to stay up.

I think that was one of our hardest remaining games. Six pointers are always tough and it was a very intense contest.
With regard to the hardest games, we have three games against teams whose season is effectively over.
Its the age old issue of whether those teams will play with no fear and play well or are already thinking of the beach.
I reckon I would rather play them than teams like Oldham who are scrapping for their lives.

Back
Top Bottom