Home Match Day Thread 06/03/2021 L1 OUFC v Charlton Athletic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone, older members obviously, remember what is often referred to as the greatest penalty save, the one by Gordon Banks from Geoff Hurst in the West Ham v Stoke semi final in 1972 ? It probably still is but the one by Stevens today is as good a penalty save as I’ve seen in a long while. Like Banks he somehow got a powerfully struck kick high up over the bar. It’s a tremendous save, it really is.

Anyone, older members obviously, remember what is often referred to as the greatest penalty save, the one by Gordon Banks from Geoff Hurst in the West Ham v Stoke semi final in 1972 ? It probably still is but the one by Stevens today is as good a penalty save as I’ve seen in a long while. Like Banks he somehow got a powerfully struck kick high up over the bar. It’s a tremendous save, it really is.

Reckon this save is a carbon copy.

Well.... I posted after the Posh game....don’t see much point in changing my view after this one, so here we go again:

“An enthralling match. Rose (ie) coloured specs, perhaps, but I fully expected us to ‘nick it’.
Just one little bit of good luck would have done it.

As it turned out two good teams battled it out for a deserved draw. but I found I couldn’t look away. Shame about the injuries...

Well done all. More of that commitment please.”

COYYS,

But that's what frustrates me about Kelly, it's a similar situation to Barker really, a couple of flashes of real quality, but otherwise pretty ineffective, and for large periods, it's easy to forget he's even on the pitch.

That said, he was part of the midfield three that played pretty much every game during our great run, and once he came out of the side (obviously along with Mcguane getting injured) our level dropped, certainly in midfield, which led me to think that maybe he does do more than I give him credit for, so I quite fancied seeing him getting another chance in the side, but from what I saw today, apart from those couple of moments of quality that you mention, I don't really recall him doing anything of note.

I'm certainly not writing him off yet, but the performances I've seen of Kelly since Mcguane has been out, suggests it's more a case of people underestimating the importance and influence that Mcguane was having on performances, rather than Kelly being underrated.
Interesting point.

The way I'm looking at it after today is this: if you're choosing our best midfield, it's probably a three with Gorrin at the base and Brannagan in one of the two positions in front of him. That means the final spot should go to whoever best fills that final position and complements the other two. Given the options in our squad (assuming everyone other than MacGuane is fully fit), that means it's one of Kelly, Sykes, Henry, Hanson, Forde and maybe Lee. Of those, Hanson obviously isn't really trusted there, Henry isn't really dynamic enough to play a full 90 minutes in that engine room, Lee is preferred out wide (and might have the same issue over 90 mins as Henry). Sykes I think has been great there individually recently, but as more of a midfield collective, today we just seemed to have more control of that midfield than in other games recently. I think if him and Brannagan play together, you sacrifice a lot of control of that central area, together they're not positionally disciplined enough. Which leaves Kelly and Forde. As the poster above says, we did just seem to pick up more second balls and have more space in the middle today. That can't just be chance.

Different opponents and situations will demand different combinations, obviously. But it seemed today like Kelly brings out the best in both Brannagan and Gorrin, which can only be a good thing for the team. And given the way Brannagan seemed so liberated playing alongside Kelly, it's not unreasonable to conclude that playing alongside him also released MacGuane in the same way.

Didn’t Robinson say the other week that he’s got the highest rate of picking up second balls in the team,the ball always seems to fall to him?

Well he does go retrieve the ball after it goes out for a throw in , guessing that's what Robbo was referring too as second ball 😀

I'm sorry, I apologise but, my opinion, give Kelly a pointy hat and a fishing rod, stick him next to a pond (or water feature) and he'll be fine.

Well.... I posted after the Posh game....don’t see much point in changing my view after this one, so here we go again:

“An enthralling match. Rose (ie) coloured specs, perhaps, but I fully expected us to ‘nick it’.
Just one little bit of good luck would have done it.

As it turned out two good teams battled it out for a deserved draw. but I found I couldn’t look away. Shame about the injuries...

Well done all. More of that commitment please.”

COYYS,

Thanks, any chance you can draft a 'grateful for the narrow win' type post for frequent use?

Interesting point.

The way I'm looking at it after today is this: if you're choosing our best midfield, it's probably a three with Gorrin at the base and Brannagan in one of the two positions in front of him. That means the final spot should go to whoever best fills that final position and complements the other two. Given the options in our squad (assuming everyone other than MacGuane is fully fit), that means it's one of Kelly, Sykes, Henry, Hanson, Forde and maybe Lee. Of those, Hanson obviously isn't really trusted there, Henry isn't really dynamic enough to play a full 90 minutes in that engine room, Lee is preferred out wide (and might have the same issue over 90 mins as Henry). Sykes I think has been great there individually recently, but as more of a midfield collective, today we just seemed to have more control of that midfield than in other games recently. I think if him and Brannagan play together, you sacrifice a lot of control of that central area, together they're not positionally disciplined enough. Which leaves Kelly and Forde. As the poster above says, we did just seem to pick up more second balls and have more space in the middle today. That can't just be chance.

Different opponents and situations will demand different combinations, obviously. But it seemed today like Kelly brings out the best in both Brannagan and Gorrin, which can only be a good thing for the team. And given the way Brannagan seemed so liberated playing alongside Kelly, it's not unreasonable to conclude that playing alongside him also released MacGuane in the same way.

Well put.

I thought Kelly had a good fifteen minutes at the end of the first half - which, probably not coincidentally was our best period of the match. He got the ball down a bit, and played some nice passes. The rest of the time he was on, he was pretty ineffective. Ball was mostly flying over his head, and he's not the defensive grafter that Gorrin or even Brannagan can be.

I think if we're trying to play our best XI, or at least best fit XI, then Forde's probably the man for that third midfield role.

Then I'm idly wondering.....we know that Agyei is way better as the front man, and not as good out wide on the right. But could Matty Taylor play wide right instead? When we're in good form in the final third, then obviously you want him up top because he's our most predatory finisher, by far. But when we're struggling to create, as we are now, having him around to pick up the pieces from the chaos Agyei causes could be effective? You can then play either Shodipo or Barker on the other side.

Feels un-American to say it but a few observations:
  • As a lone striker, Taylor is struggling to get opportunities and has to drop deep to avoid being isolated.
  • Agyei looks like he can do a job up top, but again doesn't have much support or anyone to play off him.
  • No one can agree who the third midfielder should be.
Might there be a reasonable case for 4-4-2? Main questions would be how Gorrin took to it and how far Winnall is from providing cover.

Feels un-American to say it but a few observations:
  • As a lone striker, Taylor is struggling to get opportunities and has to drop deep to avoid being isolated.
  • Agyei looks like he can do a job up top, but again doesn't have much support or anyone to play off him.
  • No one can agree who the third midfielder should be.
Might there be a reasonable case for 4-4-2? Main questions would be how Gorrin took to it and how far Winnall is from providing cover.
Does KR think Gorrin can't play in a 2? Or does he just prefer 3 in the middle so we don't get overrun (which still happens quite often!)?

If we want to get support up to the striker then we've either got to try 4-4-2 or instead make one of the 3 get forward beyond the striker which rarely happens.

If our full backs were always getting forward then three in the middle seems right - Long does go forward but Ruffs doesn't as much....

It's frustrating as we have a more than decent squad on paper but it's not quite working atm.

Could we not go 4-3-3 but instead of barker and shodipo playing as wide wingers could we not get them closer to the cf so we could say have a team abit like this
Stevens
Forde Moore Atkinson ruffles
Brannagan gorrin ?
barker/shodipo/agyei taylor barker/shodipo/agyei
But instead of RW it could be RF and vice versa on the left that could also give Taylor some support
But I dunno all I know at the moment is none of are strikers know where the goal is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom