Away Match Day Thread 06/01/2024: FAC R3 Cov City vs OUFC

Who was it man of the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it will be pretty easy to tell if the owners lose interest, we just won’t exist for long, can’t see anyone wanting to take the club on in the current situation. A football club with no stadium to play in past 2026 isn’t going to attract a buyer.

Exactly that. It's got a bit of a 'here we go again' feeling to it, hasn't it?

The situation you describe is an extremely frightening prospect.

I think it will be pretty easy to tell if the owners lose interest, we just won’t exist for long, can’t see anyone wanting to take the club on in the current situation. A football club with no stadium to play in past 2026 isn’t going to attract a buyer.
Same as attracting players, would you as a player or an agent want to sign for a club that couldn't excist in 2 years time.
I know what I would do, at the end of the day it's their living.
It's starting to get a bit concerning, especially with no communication.its starting to feel like ,the same old promises & false dawn's..

Exactly that. It's got a bit of a 'here we go again' feeling to it, hasn't it?

The situation you describe is an extremely frightening prospect.

If we sign some decent players this month in the correct numbers we need, assistant manager comes in and the planning application goes in then I think we can all relax a bit as why would the owners do that if they have lost interest?

If all or some of the above don’t happen (a few cheap loans and Short promoted in name only say) then I think everyone probably needs to just start enjoying the last days of the club as much as they can.

Massive month ahead.

Same as attracting players, would you as a player or an agent want to sign for a club that couldn't excist in 2 years time.
I know what I would do, at the end of the day it's their living.
It's starting to get a bit concerning, especially with no communication.its starting to feel like ,the same old promises & false dawn's..

The type of players who come in will tell the story of what’s going on.

Yes, would be nice to hear from Colin at this stage to hopefully get some reassurances?

Sorry boss but why are you using Colin B as a proxy?

It woud be nice to hear from the management (by which we should mean either the 2 'executive' Chuckle Brothers or the owners of the club / property project). Or OxVox, you can't board a train when it's left the station.

Last edited:
It would be nice to hear from the management, Chris Williams is once again absent and that is not good regardless (but when has he ever been present(!)). But all this ´things aren’t good but I can’t say what’ is tedious in the extreme. Either state what you’ve heard or shut the f**k up please as it comes across petulant, vindictive, and full of crap!

Last edited:
Derby and now Coventry have shown what a gulf in class there is between a bang-average Championship side, and one aspiring to be one.
We have four players in the squad who could hold their own at that level. And those that think we will buy 5/6 quality players this January are up with the fairies.
It will take another year before we rid ourselves of the mess KR left us in.
Actually this isn’t quite right, Coventry were good but Derby lost at home after beating us. We made those guys look good. But we were recently second so don’t need a whole new team.

If we sign some decent players this month in the correct numbers we need, assistant manager comes in and the planning application goes in then I think we can all relax a bit as why would the owners do that if they have lost interest?

If all or some of the above don’t happen (a few cheap loans and Short promoted in name only say) then I think everyone probably needs to just start enjoying the last days of the club as much as they can.

Massive month ahead.

Yep, can't argue with that. I'm sure I'm not the only Oxford fan, given our history, that defaults immediately to worst case scenario, but prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt during January.

After that, it's back to the baying mob mentality. 😉

Just watched the highlights. The defending for all 6 goals was appalling. Defenders standing around like statues. Nobody seemed to know where they should be or who they should be picking up.

Lots of work for Des to do on the training ground unfortunately, but I don’t understand what’s happened. Was it the absence of Moore..?
Absence of Moore..... And 8 others

Sorry boss but why are you using Colin B as a proxy?

It woud be nice to hear from the management (by which we should mean either the 2 'executive' Chuckle Brothers or the owners of the club / property project). Or OxVox, you can't board a train when it's left the station.
I totally agree with you Paul, but I just thought there was more chance of getting a response/reassurances from Colin as I’m fairly sure we won’t get a response from the the chuckle brothers!

Last edited:
some interesting gossip going round the away end yesterday.
So 3 questions to whoever.
1 Is there any truth that Nial has been left high & dry by the club
2 Has there been an issue between Nail - Directors - owners
3 Have issues arisen with the triangle

3 very answerable questions for the right people.

some interesting gossip going round the away end yesterday.
So 3 questions to whoever.
1 Is there any truth that Nial has been left high & dry by the club
2 Has there been an issue between Nail - Directors - owners
3 Have issues arisen with the triangle

3 very answerable questions for the right people.

Right things, slightly wrong order.

1. Have difficulties arisen with the land? - would explain the planning not going in.
2. Has there been an issue with Nial and the owners? - "What are you telling us that for now!!"
3. Has Nial been left high & dry? - See 2..... "Why didn`t our project manager for see that?"

Of course if someone with some gravitas come out and say something clear and open, no not some puppet group that thinks everything is rosey, then we wouldn't be speculating, but we are only customers after all.

Seems it might be time for OxVox to put in a short list of direct questions that someone can`t weasel out of.

I do think some perspective is required. OK, we were well beaten, and - with the players available yesterday - we are a long way off the championship. Some of our better players (esp. Rodrigues in my opinion) underperformed.
However, looking at the situation from DB's perspective, he decides to start Smyth after last week, and imagine the outcry if he hadn't done so. With Moore unavailable, we end up with a back five of whom only Brown is first choice. It is immediately apparent that the gap of more than one division between Coventry and Charlton cruelly exposes Smyth's limited experience and expertise. Is it then surprising that we shipped goals? Further up the pitch, we were quite successful at hitting the wide players, but on the left, that is Bennett. He is a tidy player, but does not have the pace to trouble competent championship defenders.
At half time Des takes Smyth off to spare him further humiliation. McEachran, who is lucky to still be on the pitch and has looked way too slow in this company, is also wisely withdrawn. We then don't have the personnel on the bench to make improvements and keep any sensible shape.

How likely do we think it is that the board take heed of our concerns and criticisms, and swiftly bring about a sea change in the way they view the importance of transparency and communication?

I won't be holding my breath.

I'm increasingly concerned that, as you suggest, they don't see a workable business model with the stadium based at the triangle. My grave concern is that the mood music coming from the Niall McWilliams rumours are confounded, and that the owners are essentially looking for an out now.

I won’t be holding my breath either, sadly.

It would be nice to hear from the management, Chris Williams is once again absent and that is not good regardless (but when has he ever been present(!)). But all this ´things aren’t good but I can’t say what’ is tedious in the extreme. Either state what you’ve heard or shut the f**k up please as it comes across petulant, vindictive, and full of crap!

Indeed.

Saying that you know something but can’t say what is just attention seeking.

Put up or shut up.

How did the ball go in from their first corner - incredibly soft.

GDKgt3FXEAAPBAu

Because it was flicked on to Joe Bennett which completely changed the ball's direction towards the near post from towards the back post area (but not on target imo). It should have been classed as an own goal imo.

Last edited:
  • React
Reactions: QR
Glad people enjoyed my 8am train breakfast.

Anyway , Dhillon’s brewery on the industrial estate next to the ground was a good choice. Shame they didn’t have ANY of their own beers on draft. Or any cask ales at all.

However getting into the ground wasn’t quite as easy squeezing past 1000s of home fans.

First half we had our tween fans with their supposedly ironic chants “we’ve won the ball”.
This wasn’t a humiliation against an equal team. Coventry put out a first team and a top third championship team is way better than a top third L1 team with several first team out .

Second half at 4-1 we abandoned ship and went to Coventry United vs Newport Pagnell.
Nice non-league ground they share with Coventry rugby. So a 4g pitch, a decent main stand and facilities under the main stand. Coventry came back from 2-0 down to 3-2 so an entertaining end to the afternoon and friendly Coventry United players and management after the game.

Glad people enjoyed my 8am train breakfast.

Anyway , Dhillon’s brewery on the industrial estate next to the ground was a good choice. Shame they didn’t have ANY of their own beers on draft. Or any cask ales at all.

However getting into the ground wasn’t quite as easy squeezing past 1000s of home fans.

First half we had our tween fans with their supposedly ironic chants “we’ve won the ball”.
This wasn’t a humiliation against an equal team. Coventry put out a first team and a top third championship team is way better than a top third L1 team with several first team out .

Second half at 4-1 we abandoned ship and went to Coventry United vs Newport Pagnell.
Nice non-league ground they share with Coventry rugby. So a 4g pitch, a decent main stand and facilities under the main stand. Coventry came back from 2-0 down to 3-2 so an entertaining end to the afternoon and friendly Coventry United players and management after the game.
Glad you enjoyed abandoning ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom