Home Match Day Thread 03/10/2023 L1: OUFC v Shrewsbury

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i think the thing with GoD is that throughout the youth system has hasnt needed to make intelligent runs and read the game. Because he simply bullied players out of his way to create chances. Now he cant do that at men's level yet......(see the shoulder to shoulder with dunkley on tuesday as an example)....his lack of movement becomes much more apparent.
Think he out paced him and got a little shove from Dunkley! That’s why Dunks looked at our fans with a grim knowing he possibly got away with something

The Lukaku of League 1. There's definitely something in it, if you're massively physically superior to your opponents in youth set ups it is easy to rely on this, in fact your teammates will to so you won't learn the nuances of the game as well. Why make things harder than they need to be?

He's physically an absolute unit and no slouch and he's not bad technically either, I've seen him roll plenty of defenders with a little touch and be on his way. It's the mental side of the game he needs to develop if he wants to make the most of his career. There are plenty of big lads who have good careers in League 1 and 2 but he's got enough about him to play much higher than that, he's only 18 so plenty of time to learn. This is why a loan move would have been ideal for him, short term him holding the ball in the corner is good for us but it does nothing for him and medium to long term if that's all he does then we'll regret it as well. Defending a lead compared to playing from the start trying to score is a completely different game and it's doing him a disservice if that's all we use him for this year.
Agree with this - what's good for us isn't necessarily good/the best for him.

This is why a loan to get regular starts in men's football learning how to utilise the talent he has without just relying on his size would have been the (my) preferred option for this season.

Re: awareness - I noticed a couple of times the other night that when he's running, or even 'makes a run', he only looks in the direction he's running and not at the player with the ball, so he isn't ready for when the pass comes..

No its not. What the f*** does it have to do with you anyway! :O ;)
@m this was supposed to be a joke in terms of a stupid thing to be arguing about! I think I may have Whooshed myself there! :O

Hello. Long time reader, first time poster (and I realise this probably isn't the right thread to post this on). I'm actually a life long Crystal Palace fan but moved to Oxford about 15 years ago. My daughter - now 13 - is a big yellows fan and we go often (South Stand Lower) to most home games. The debates on here are really good and I've enjoyed reading about the passion of the fan base, the support for key players (Brannigan and McGuane have been a different class this season) and the progress on the new stadium.

Anyway, the reason for my post: you have an absolutely superb football club.

It might not have seemed like it during the latter months of the Karl Robinson era but the history of your club and the community around it is brilliant. It is now wonderful to see the progress you guys are making on and off the pitch and your fans totally deserve it. You have been through tough tough times (the stadium fiasco, the drop down to the national league) but there is something about your club and the resilience of the supporters which I think will see you good. This could well be a special season and you have some remarkable talent (there was a post the other day talking about Rodriguez and the skill he brings to the club and I couldn't agree more). Greg Leigh and Kyle Edwards have been immense (Kyle being unplayable in the first half against Exeter and his injury is a blow) and you're nurturing young talent so well (GO'D and the Cowley Road Messi himself, Tyler Goodrham). It is also really important to have a manager not only of talent and ability but one who also represents the club well. You've got that in Liam Manning.

Anyway, these are good times for a great football club.
Cheers Eric, hope you and daughter are enjoying it, sounds like you are! Love the name btw, especially as 1984 was the end of promotion season and the start of a second one for us, so hopefully a very good omen!! :)

Hello. Long time reader, first time poster (and I realise this probably isn't the right thread to post this on). I'm actually a life long Crystal Palace fan but moved to Oxford about 15 years ago. My daughter - now 13 - is a big yellows fan and we go often (South Stand Lower) to most home games. The debates on here are really good and I've enjoyed reading about the passion of the fan base, the support for key players (Brannigan and McGuane have been a different class this season) and the progress on the new stadium.

Anyway, the reason for my post: you have an absolutely superb football club.

It might not have seemed like it during the latter months of the Karl Robinson era but the history of your club and the community around it is brilliant. It is now wonderful to see the progress you guys are making on and off the pitch and your fans totally deserve it. You have been through tough tough times (the stadium fiasco, the drop down to the national league) but there is something about your club and the resilience of the supporters which I think will see you good. This could well be a special season and you have some remarkable talent (there was a post the other day talking about Rodriguez and the skill he brings to the club and I couldn't agree more). Greg Leigh and Kyle Edwards have been immense (Kyle being unplayable in the first half against Exeter and his injury is a blow) and you're nurturing young talent so well (GO'D and the Cowley Road Messi himself, Tyler Goodrham). It is also really important to have a manager not only of talent and ability but one who also represents the club well. You've got that in Liam Manning.

Anyway, these are good times for a great football club.
All the feels, after reading this post.

Thanks for sharing and it's certainly an exciting time for the club. Glad to hear your daughter is supporting her local team too - I'm a bit old school in thinking that everyone should support their local club, so appreciate that you've gone down that route despite being a Palace fan. Palace are a club that I think most Yellows fans have a lot of time for too - and especially your fanbase.

Excellent avatar btw - "this is every journalist headshot" is one of the all-timer viral Tweets for me, Clive.

Playing for Oxford City? Really?
I suspect that Manning, like most supporters, will be able to see the strengths GoD already has and the huge potential he has.
I am a little surprised that people are crticising a 19 year old, who has done pretty well with us so far.
Not a criticism from me. Simply hoping he is getting the coaching he needs (which I truely have faith that he is).

All the feels, after reading this post.

Thanks for sharing and it's certainly an exciting time for the club. Glad to hear your daughter is supporting her local team too - I'm a bit old school in thinking that everyone should support their local club, so appreciate that you've gone down that route despite being a Palace fan. Palace are a club that I think most Yellows fans have a lot of time for too - and especially your fanbase.

Excellent avatar btw - "this is every journalist headshot" is one of the all-timer viral Tweets for me, Clive.
Completely agree on supporting your local club. Her mates at school are Oxford fans and you grow up in a community of like minded passionate people. It’s genuinely a privilege to be sharing this with her especially what could be a remarkable season.

Completely agree on supporting your local club. Her mates at school are Oxford fans and you grow up in a community of like minded passionate people. It’s genuinely a privilege to be sharing this with her especially what could be a remarkable season.
Great to hear. And hasn’t always been the case. As a school child in the 90s, there weren’t a huge number of us in my year who regularly watched Oxford. Despite the ubiquity of the EPL, thankfully we seem to be seeing more young fans supporting the club. The new stadium will really help with that too.

Thank you for helping in this regard with supporting your daughter. I’m always delighted to see more and more girls at games when I take my young daughters. Genuine progress.

Last edited:
… thankfully we seem to be seeing more young fans supporting the club. The new stadium will really help with that too.
… I’m always delighted to see more and more girls at games when I take my young daughter…
Really good to read this. I too see increasing numbers of women (am I allowed to call non-males that?) and children at games. If only Margaret Boggs and her ‘mates’ bothered to see this too 🤬

As you’ll know we played both Palace and Arsenal last season. I was a lot more impressed by the way Palace conducted themselves, they seemed a genuine and respectful bunch whereas Arsenal were really snide and up themselves.

Really good to read this. I too see increasing numbers of women (am I allowed to call non-males that?) and children at games. If only Margaret Boggs and her ‘mates’ bothered to see this too 🤬
Thank you (and MJB). Oxford Utd seem to be very welcoming to kids and young girls too (the girls team getting a round of applause at half time v Exeter was a great example. And hats off to the Exeter fans for joining in). My daughter plays football as well and got a lot out of it. I’m also impressed with the facilities for neurodiverse people. My son is autistic and the efforts by the club there are also really positive (although it would still be too overwhelming for him but there isn’t anything the club could do about that)

Great to hear. And hasn’t always been the case. As a school child in the 90s, there weren’t a huge number of us in my year who regularly watched Oxford. Despite the ubiquity of the EPL, thankfully we seem to be seeing more young fans supporting the club. The new stadium will really help with that too.

Thank you for helping in this regard with supporting your daughter. I’m always delighted to see more and more girls at games when I take my young daughters. Genuine progress.
The club do seem to have had real success in growing the young support. The family stand seems to be pretty full in many games now ( around 1,000 people?)
I agree that the new ground will give a great opportunity to grow this support even more.

The club do seem to have had real success in growing the young support. The family stand seems to be pretty full in many games now ( around 1,000 people?)
I agree that the new ground will give a great opportunity to grow this support even more.
Absolutely. I was on holiday in Cornwall in August and saw a few kids at a theme park wearing OUFC shirts. Heartening stuff.

It’s the third and last game of the WA exiles tour. Hoping for another 3 Oxford goals and another safe performance from Beadle.

We’re in the SSU again and apologise to those nearby if we startle them with the occasional shout or song.

Back
Top Bottom