Home Match Day Thread 03/10/2023 L1: OUFC v Shrewsbury

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
F7l_6CYWAAANM4o

Why should Manning put Mills and Murphy on, just because the fans want to see them? Why should we play at 100% when we don’t need to? The game was won at 2-0, arguably before that. Job done. I’m happy, even if you’re not. Move onto Saturday.
The players will be looking at how they, individually, could have played better and the manager at how the team could have played better and good on them for doing that, but the posts criticising them for not pulling out the stops and going at them 100% is just, well, ridiculous. It’s a long season.
Trust the manager, from what we’ve seen so far, he knows what he’s doing..

The rhetorical questions at the start are wide of the mark I'm afraid. I think it's a fair comment to say the last 15minutes was a bit boring and that it would have been nice to see more attacking intent.

Surely the fact that that's the only minor critique is amazing?! That's the point that's been made throughout this thread yet you're turning it into something far deeper for absolutely no reason. There's no expectation, we won 3 -0 so rightly, no one is moaning.

The only person who seems angry on this thread is you at other fans for sharing this view. It's abundantly clear that everyone here trusts the manager as well so another silly point. I just don't get it, what a pointless argument.

The rhetorical questions at the start are wide of the mark I'm afraid. I think it's a fair comment to say the last 15minutes was a bit boring and that it would have been nice to see more attacking intent.

Surely the fact that that's the only minor critique is amazing?! That's the point that's been made throughout this thread yet you're turning it into something far deeper for absolutely no reason. There's no expectation, we won 3 -0 so rightly, no one is moaning.

The only person who seems angry on this thread is you at other fans for sharing this view. It's abundantly clear that everyone here trusts the manager as well so another silly point. I just don't get it, what a pointless argument.
‘The last 15 minutes was a bit boring’.
I’m out..

If you go back far enough though nearly all goals come as a result of a mistake, good play and pressure by the opposition causes mistakes and then they have to be good enough to make the most of the mistakes you have caused. Its a bit of a managers cop out to point out that goals come from mistakes, they all do really, its certainly a weak excuse when you lose 3-0 and never threaten yourself.

I mean Cheltenham are half way there to creating error less football, they just need to figure out how to stop conceding.
Yep its like managers think if they say a goal is from a mistake it doesnt really count, even though basically every goal scored is from a mistake somewhere.

Did Manning miss a trick, clearly he does not think so but at 2 nil down playing against 10 men the pace of Murphy and Mills would have surely made for a better end 20.

A game where clearly Shrewsbury made no attempt to win, was won and surely would have given these 2 justified minutes.

Don't get me wrong but GOD and Mc, to me are not game changers or match winners. Play out for the win without any risk taking. Yes.

Have I given myself my own answer? Maybe but a disappointing conclusion.

Last edited:
Knew you wouldn't be able to answer 👏👏
Do me a favour, read the thread.
The ‘rhetorical question’ about more attacking intent by Mills and Murphy getting on was a point made by at least three posters.
You say no one is moaning yet you say the last minutes was ‘a bit boring.’
I‘m not angry, far from it, just amazed that people still want more, after just ten games, from a team that is second in the table playing a standard of football not seen by us for years.
I’ve made my point but If it’s a row you want, crack on.

Do me a favour, read the thread.
The ‘rhetorical question’ about more attacking intent by Mills and Murphy getting on was a point made by at least three posters.
You say no one is moaning yet you say the last minutes was ‘a bit boring.’
I‘m not angry, far from it, just amazed that people still want more, after just ten games, from a team that is second in the table playing a standard of football not seen by us for years.
I’ve made my point but If it’s a row you want, crack on.

We've won 3 - 0 and you've come on acting superior for having a different opinion to other Oxford fans. You're going to get called out. Just like someone would be called out for actually criticising the result/performance yesterday.

We've won 3 - 0 and you've come on acting superior for having a different opinion to other Oxford fans. You're going to get called out. Just like someone would be called out for actually criticising the result/performance yesterday.
Strange reaction that, like you really want a row about an opinion you don’t like.
It’s an opinion share by others, like I said, read the thread, note the reactions..

Yep its like managers think if they say a goal is from a mistake it doesnt really count, even though basically every goal scored is from a mistake somewhere.

Whilst Taylor is talking nonsense in most of the rest of his interview, he is correct that there were some pretty terrible individual errors by his team last night.

Their goalie flapped at the first, and obviously was a hilarious muppet for the third. For the second, it wasn't so much the goal that was a glaring mistake (that was more just a kind bounce and a good finish) but the red card was. Their #4 should have either cleared the through ball or knocked it back to his keeper. Instead, he went for the miscontrol-scythe-early bath combo! I'd be pretty livid if I was managing him as well.

Whilst Taylor is talking nonsense in most of the rest of his interview, he is correct that there were some pretty terrible individual errors by his team last night.

Their goalie flapped at the first, and obviously was a hilarious muppet for the third. For the second, it wasn't so much the goal that was a glaring mistake (that was more just a kind bounce and a good finish) but the red card was. Their #4 should have either cleared the through ball or knocked it back to his keeper. Instead, he went for the miscontrol-scythe-early bath combo! I'd be pretty livid if I was managing him as well.
But last nights game Shrewsbury were nowhere near to beating us so trying to claim that mistakes cost them is pointless.

Felt a bit sorry for Dunkley last night. Was by far their best player, and the only one who seemed to giving any effort. He definitely deserves to be at a better club than Shrewsbury. Good of him to clap the home fans after the game. That goal vs Wycombe will always live long in my memory and he was a right character for us at the time. RadOx still use "the big man with a big goal on the big occasion" in their pre-match jingle. If we weren't already so decked out with a squad I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

Back
Top Bottom