Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

Thinks? It is the SPL. Of course he will do well there. Kane Hemmings was the second highest scorer there in the season before we signed him.
He’s actually scored 7 in 14 for Burton this season, knows where the net is definitely. Just not a player to set the world alight.

The way Long is playing right now I'm not so sure Cadden is a step up.
I agree. I really don’t think we should bench one of our best players, because a former player is now available - for a substantial fee, I might add. If we really wanted Cadden, surely we could have got the move done, the first time around? Sam Long is an important player for us. I would be really disappointed in KR, if he made that decision. I would be even more disappointed for Sam Long..

He’s actually scored 7 in 14 for Burton this season, knows where the net is definitely. Just not a player to set the world alight.
My point being that if striker with an average record in the lower leagues here can be the second highest scorer in the SPL, then it would be a walk in the park for a player currently playing in the English top flight.

I agree. I really don’t think we should bench one of our best players, because a former player is now available - for a substantial fee, I might add. If we really wanted Cadden, surely we could have got the move done, the first time around? Sam Long is an important player for us. I would be really disappointed in KR, if he made that decision. I would be even more disappointed for Sam Long..
This is modern football. It is not about having 11 permanent starting players. Players get injured, dip out of form, play better within and against certain formations etc. We need options for our squad and he would add to that. Personally think top priority is a CB.

Thinks? It is the SPL. Of course he will do well there. Kane Hemmings was the second highest scorer there in the season before we signed him.
And Kane was playing for a poor side!

Apart from the Celtic/Rangers squads, SPL standard is utter pants. The fact that League 1 players (and worse) are seen as a cut above the normal standard is very clear evidence of that.

Jon 'goal machine' Obika starts for St Mirren most weeks ffs.

QED.

This is modern football. It is not about having 11 permanent starting players. Players get injured, dip out of form, play better within and against certain formations etc. We need options for our squad and he would add to that. Personally think top priority is a CB.
But why would we spend 400k+ on a backup RB for Sam Long? Surely, if you’re spending that amount of money, the player needs to be a guaranteed starter? I just don’t think that right now, it’s a position we need to spend that amount of money on. I think we need an experienced CB, like you say. I would also like to see more pace, so a Browne/Whyte type player would be lovely.

Last edited:
But why would we spent 400k+ on a backup RB for Sam Long? Surely, if you’re spending that amount of money, the player needs to be a guaranteed starter? I just don’t think that right now, it’s a position we need to spend that amount of money on. I think we need an experienced CB, like you say. I would also like to see more pace, so a Browne/Whyte type player would be lovely.
There are hardly any guaranteed starters these days. Look at Taylor, our no 1 striker who didn't start on Tuesday night. We need a squad.

There are hardly any guaranteed starters these days. Look at Taylor, our no 1 striker who didn't start on Tuesday night. We need a squad.
I understand that. My point is, why would someone like Cadden want to come here to not start? I just wouldn’t make sense to him. If he wants assurances that he starts, that means that Sam Long doesn’t. I’m not sold on the idea of spending 400k+ on a RB in today’s climate.

Ans when I saw the line up I thought WTF here we go again........oh I’m glad I was proven wrong

If we're only getting 1 defender then it should be a right back, but we need a centre-back as well. Not sure about Cadden, who'll do the defending while he's romping around upfield? He's not the messiah, he's a lost wee ginger laddie on the rampage on the eve of Culloden. Pfft.
You have to let Jacobites be Jacobites.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love Sam Long, my favourite player in the side at the moment, but another thing to bear in mind is the resale value. If Cadden hits the kind of form he did with us last year again you could double your money in the next transfer window easy. Can't see Championship clubs being interested in Long, even if he is the League One Cafu.

Utility defender a priority, ideally left-footed. If Ruffs or Atkinson are out for any extended period of time we're stuffed. Not sure a winger is a big priority - I've been hugely won over by Clare as a winger in recent weeks.

You have to let Jacobites be Jacobites.
Not at all , if we can afford £400,000 for a right back which isn't a position we desperately need to change then great but last season we had ,Fosu,Brannigan, Henry, Baptiste as we as Cadden all playing very very well .
We are not Sunderland etc and signing big money players doesn't guarantee anything at 15th with almost half the season gone.
I'm uncomfortable with spending such a large amount without knowing what other money we have ....nothing luddite just cautious for the clubs future !

Where’s this figure come from?

Cos it isn’t from Columbus Crew.
Oooh ..thats interesting...thought it was around what we bid last season and were roundly laughed out of town.....how much is the fee supposed to be then as that obviously makes a big difference.

It appears that Sam Long has improved so much that he is now immune from a drop in form, where correspondents of this forum will demand his immediate banishment, while claiming to have known all along that his upturn in form was always temporary in nature.

If Cadden is available for the right fee, he should be signed. SL and CC may occupy the same side of the pitch, but they do so in entirely different fashions.

Back
Top Bottom