Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

How inebriated were you when you typed this :rolleyes:
Pray explain?

You are perfectly aware Sam Long has played at left back for Oxford previously?

Are you presumably of the opinion then, that Oxford shouldn’t entertain the prospect of signing a quality player as depth in the squad, and player versatility are somehow bad things??

Pray explain?

You are perfectly aware Sam Long has played at left back for Oxford previously?

Are you presumably of the opinion then, that Oxford shouldn’t entertain the prospect of signing a quality player as depth in the squad, and player versatility are somehow bad things??
He has played there but i am not convinced with playing full backs on the wrong side on a permanent basis. It can work with wingers who cut in and shoot like Joey used too and lots of modern wingers do. Fullbacks on the other hand doesn't work in my view. I can't think of many teams who regularly play full backs on the opposite side. Dennis Irwin is the only major player I can think off.

He has played there but i am not convinced with playing full backs on the wrong side on a permanent basis. It can work with wingers who cut in and shoot like Joey used too and lots of modern wingers do. Fullbacks on the other hand doesn't work in my view. I can't think of many teams who regularly play full backs on the opposite side. Dennis Irwin is the only major player I can think off.

I don't think it WILL happen either...I was merely posing a rebuke to those who are steadfastedly opposed to bringing Cadden in because it would compromise the position of Sam Long in the squad. Let's not forget KR has pursued squarer pegs in rounder holes for the first few months - Sean Clare being the prime example.

For the record, I'm not the greatest fan of relying on Sam Long as an emergency centre-back either, just because he can - and I also think we've got the make-up of the 22-man squad quite horribly wrong in the first half of the season, thankfully not being woefully found out because of it. Hopefully January a chance to rectify that squad balance.

I don't think it WILL happen either...I was merely posing a rebuke to those who are steadfastedly opposed to bringing Cadden in because it would compromise the position of Sam Long in the squad. Let's not forget KR has pursued squarer pegs in rounder holes for the first few months - Sean Clare being the prime example.

For the record, I'm not the greatest fan of relying on Sam Long as an emergency centre-back either, just because he can - and I also think we've got the make-up of the 22-man squad quite horribly wrong in the first half of the season, thankfully not being woefully found out because of it. Hopefully January a chance to rectify that squad balance.
I do agree and would like to see Cadden if possible. Robinson did get the make up of the squad wrong. I think as it's the first time he has had to work like this, ive cut him some slack. I certainly feel he will learn from this going foward.

I'm not forgetting anything from a guy who made only 21 league appearances following six seasons with a mediocre Scottish Prem team. An attacking wing back who scored precisely no goals. If we have funds to invest in the window they should be spent elsewhere.
Is it the job of an attacking wing back to score goals. Where his skill lies is in providing the crosses taking on players, and pace. The build up play he provided is where the goals came from. long is prone to silly mistakes that can cost goals, There were two good examples in the Plymouth game.
At the end of the day KR makes the decisions, so lets wait for the player he said he wanted in by the Burton game, and the other three.

I'm quite amazed that one of the best goals scored by a right back in recent memory has been largely overlooked, it was a fantastic effort that if a prem player had done it we would be hearing about it much more , took the ball in own half, sold a dummy and kept on going for the return pass ! ..Clare also looks good right wing and deserves a run of games there.

I'm not forgetting anything from a guy who made only 21 league appearances following six seasons with a mediocre Scottish Prem team. An attacking wing back who scored precisely no goals. If we have funds to invest in the window they should be spent elsewhere.
And who kept long out of the team and had us in the promotion spots then secured a move to the mls. But hey ho hes rubbish right..

And who kept long out of the team and had us in the promotion spots then secured a move to the mls. But hey ho hes rubbish right..

Or Long who came back in and contributed to a team that picked up an identical points per game record as when Cadden played?

And Cadden had already "secured a move to the MLS" before kicking a ball for us so hardly relevant.

Or Long who came back in and contributed to a team that picked up an identical points per game record as when Cadden played?

And Cadden had already "secured a move to the MLS" before kicking a ball for us so hardly relevant.
Yes you can as i was replying to a post which said he had played for a rubbish scottish prem team and hasnt done anythong

Our team pre xmas 2019 was on another level to the team post xmas 2019. Long always gave 100 per cent but was error prone and dodgy with his passing throughout the 19/20 season. Peterbrough away was a classic example.

Robbo obviously is not convinced by long either. He replaced him with cadden, then replaced him with clare. And now the cadden rumours have surfaced again.

Anyway long is playing well at the moment so lets hope it continues.

Is it the job of an attacking wing back to score goals. Where his skill lies is in providing the crosses taking on players, and pace. The build up play he provided is where the goals came from. long is prone to silly mistakes that can cost goals, There were two good examples in the Plymouth game.
At the end of the day KR makes the decisions, so lets wait for the player he said he wanted in by the Burton game, and the other three.
I've got no axe to grind against Chris Cadden. I just think the hyperbole is over the top and you're making him sound like Alexander Arnold. Just how many assists did he contribute in his 23 games for us? And are you suggesting that he wasn't at fault for a single goal during his time at Oxford?

Btw, Long was definitely not at fault for the first goal against Plymouth. Yes, he was caught up the pitch having probably been fouled, but it was Moore who gave the ball away.

Our team pre xmas 2020 was on another level to the team post xmas 2020. Long always gave 100 per cent but was error prone and dodgy with his passing throughout the 19/20 season. Peterbrough away was a classic example.

Our team pre Xmas 2020 had Fosu on fire and Henry playing at the top of his game. But even then it took until half way through September to the end of November to see us really hit form. And some of our standout performances during this time were in the cup, where Sam Long played right back!

Long is far from perfect, and he had a poor game against Peterborough, but who didn't? But the fact remains that for all his apparent faults, Oxford United with Sam Long in the side gained as many points per game as they did with Chris Cadden playing.

They are both very different players, but both equally effective and as much as I'd welcome Cadden back, there are positions that I'd rather see us spend money on.

In a vacuum, I'd love Cadden back; but in the current climate, I would not want OUFC to be paying a hundreds of thousands of pounds fee to fill a position that is already being very capably manned. Especially as Cadden is not young enough that we could expect big resale value in a couple of years.

Obviously how many we can bring in is going to be somewhat determined by how many we can ship out. I'm assuming Cooper is gone, and then I would imagine, at the very least, KR will be trying to find loan moves out for Hall & Sykes, and then looking to fill their spots in the squad.

But if I was then going to prioritize incoming players, it would be:

1) Winger; ideally someone who could play both flanks but prioritizing the left - because then you could potentially shift Obita back into the LB slot. Shodipo is OK, but streaky even for a winger.

2) CB; Would have been priority #1 a month ago, but since then Moore and Atkinson have started to come into their own as a partnership, and I wouldn't want to break them up. But Atkinson seems fragile, and we have no experienced cover without hurting the rest of the team.

3) I'm not sure that we'll be able to find a taker for Eastwood the way he's been playing of late - but if we can then bringing in another experienced keeper who's confidence isn't shot would be important as well. The way he's been playing of late, you can't take the jersey off Stevens right now.....but if he falters, you need someone you can have some confidence to bring in.

Luke Thomas right winger from Barnsley is someone we're interested in. Was at Derby with Craig Short and had interest from Sunderland and Ipswich but no reason why we can't compete with them.

It would almost certainly mean that Sykes would go out, but could also depend on whether we can get Cadden or not. Can't see the need for both.

It might not be Les Ferdinand's helicopter but the boy Cadden might have been in the Oxfordshire Countryside this afternoon...........it was certainly a footballer's type of car that I parked behind. I think this is clear cast iron proof that's he about to sign for us - he was probably house-hunting. :cool:

1609516707705.png

It might not be Les Ferdinand's helicopter but the boy Cadden might have been in the Oxfordshire Countryside this afternoon...........it was certainly a footballer's type of car that I parked behind. I think this is clear cast iron proof that's he about to sign for us - he was probably house-hunting. :cool:

View attachment 5221
And it's got the transfer fee there too!!!

Well done for singling out two of our best performers this season, who are also local and Oxford through and through. Your bias is embarrassing!
Indeed. The number of players who *don't* make mistakes is errm, none.
If any of our players were making absolutely no mistakes, they wouldn't be our players - they would be at a much higher level.

View attachment 5221

Not sure how recent, but up for sale from Leamington Spa so maybe not!

Would any fans turn down the chance to resign gavin whyte??? Not getting a look in at Cardiff and would be an ideal replacement for Cooper?

Browne I don't think we will see again he is very much in the mix at boro as only just got back from injury?

Cadden situation i agree with one of the previous posts of that if its not a permanent deal its not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom