Away Match Day Thread 29/12/2020 L1 Plymouth Argyle v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd always hope that any one who puts the shirt on has a good game, but whilst he barely had any time, Sykes still looks a bit lost. I've no doubt he's struggling with confidence but he needs to grasp any chance he gets.

I was also disappointed with Agyei. It was a messy game and one where he had little opportunities, but wasn't great with the chances that came his way.

Equally, I thought Shodipo started badly, but he put a shift in second half and does seem to create something special even when he's not playing at his best. I thought he bought his penalty, but it was clever play making their defender leave a leg that he gratefully fell over.

I thought Hanson did well, although he's a Lidl's version of Gorrin, he still did well to regain control after the initial onslaught from Plymouth. Likewise, Forde did a decent job when he came on.

So, of the "fringe" players, I suspect that we won't see much more of Sykes before he goes out on loan, and Agyei could also be at risk depending on the fitness of Winnall and targets that may come in. The others will continue to play a role this season, but I think they'll all face greater competition in the coming weeks.
Shodipo seems to make things happen more than Agyei in my view.
I would still prefer Browne over Shodipo though.
I suspect that Skyes will be off as he is OOC at the end of the season and I believe didn't want to sign a new one.

But Nathan and Stevie K were definitely there tonight!

They talked about sitting in the stand, complained about the fact that the TV in their press box didn't work whilst everyone else's did - and then discussed the 200 mile drive home (Stevie K was talking about having to get back to Northants; and about it being Tier 3)!?

Nathan must live outside Oxfordshire too...

fantastic bonus two points today.
I never expected that result.
Excellent performance all round.
Well done boys.

McGuane is for the season as is Kelly but I wouldn’t be to bothered if Kelly went, Shodipo is a strange one scored some fancy goals but not much else

Thought after the 1st 15 mins, Shodipo looked decent going forward and defensively tonight. I've been quite critical of him so far but he did well today.

I was also disappointed with Agyei. It was a messy game and one where he had little opportunities, but wasn't great with the chances that came his way.

I thought Hanson did well, although he's a Lidl's version of Gorrin, he still did well to regain control after the initial onslaught from Plymouth.

Said it before, but Agyei just isn't a goalscorer. Sure, he'll get a few spectacular goals each season, but he just doesn't make the runs or get into the positions to bag the poachers' efforts, and his finishing generally is not sharp. He's a League One Emile Heskey. That still has value, but I doubt he'll ever be a 10 goal a season man at this level, let alone 20. Useful squad player to have though.

Though Hanson did most of the dirty, defensive stuff pretty well tonight, but his passing was erratic. Been a recurring theme for him in his time at the club. Again, a valuable squad member and will do a job for us when he comes in, but not a threat to Gorrin for a place in the first XI.

Player ratings.

Stevens 8. Outstanding. Couldn’t do nothing with the goals. Fast off his line.
Long 8. Superb bar the silly penalty.
Moore 9. Very good. Leader
Atkinson 8. Fantastic
Ruffels 8. His best performance of the season and a massive goal at 0-1.
Kelly 6. Poor. Surely won’t play when Brannagan is back.
Hanson 8. Best game for the club.
McGuane 9. MOTM. Everywhere!!
Henry 7. Poor end product tonight.
Aygei 6. Didn’t offer anything
Shodipo 8. Outstanding to win the penalty. First time he’s fully grafted.

Subs...
Shoutout to Clare who was unbelievable off the bench & Forde who was a huge improvement on Kelly.

I think we’ll be rueing that start.

Effectively we’ve got Atkinson for Dickie, Stevens for a deteriorating Eastwood, McGuane for Browne, Winnall for Mackie, potentially Clare for Holland, Hanson perhaps an added bonus, Brannagan to come in for Brannagan then a January transfer window to clear out what little deadwood there is...it’s arguably better on paper than the team that finished last season.

I'd argue Shodipo for Browne. Add a Browne/Whyte etc into this squad and we'd really have options.

Funny how people see things definitly. I thought shodipo was poor overall and agyei had a good game. Agyei used his strength well and won more than his fair share of headers allowing our midfield to push up. I thought he caused the plymouth defenders a lot of problems. Hanson had his best game for us as well i thought.

Said it before, but Agyei just isn't a goalscorer. Sure, he'll get a few spectacular goals each season, but he just doesn't make the runs or get into the positions to bag the poachers' efforts, and his finishing generally is not sharp. He's a League One Emile Heskey. That still has value, but I doubt he'll ever be a 10 goal a season man at this level, let alone 20. Useful squad player to have though.

Though Hanson did most of the dirty, defensive stuff pretty well tonight, but his passing was erratic. Been a recurring theme for him in his time at the club. Again, a valuable squad member and will do a job for us when he comes in, but not a threat to Gorrin for a place in the first XI.

The mention of Emile Heskey reminds me of a joke!

Sven walks into the Wembley dressing room before his first game in charge of England to find a football with a steaming turd on top.

Sven turned to the players and said "who's s**t on the ball?"

And someone shouted out, "Heskey boss, but he runs around a lot!!!"

Win 3-2 at Shrewsbury and season suspended. Win 3-2 at Plymouth and ? Hope it's not an omen.

Player ratings.

Stevens 8. Outstanding. Couldn’t do nothing with the goals. Fast off his line.
Long 8. Superb bar the silly penalty.
Moore 9. Very good. Leader
Atkinson 8. Fantastic
Ruffels 8. His best performance of the season and a massive goal at 0-1.
Kelly 6. Poor. Surely won’t play when Brannagan is back.
Hanson 8. Best game for the club.
McGuane 9. MOTM. Everywhere!!
Henry 7. Poor end product tonight.
Aygei 6. Didn’t offer anything
Shodipo 8. Outstanding to win the penalty. First time he’s fully grafted.

Subs...
Shoutout to Clare who was unbelievable off the bench & Forde who was a huge improvement on Kelly.
Id agree with that but swap shodipo and agyei ratings around. Defence were brilliant today.

Sadly, agree on Agyei.

I thought Hanson was good tonight and considering he hasn't played much, he covered Long and Ruffs pushing up well as well as putting in some decent crosses from deep free-kicks.

Well KR definitely won that tactical battle with Ryan Lowe. Pushing higher up and going more direct was good to see. Also, the workrate from all the players was outstanding and meant that this tactic could work, especially the work off the ball.

The other thing that I really enjoyed was how the management/players looked to exploit Plymouth's weakness from crosses which was reinforced by some really good set pieces by Henry, Hanson, Forde etc from deep and closer in.

Last edited:
He is knowledgeable but needs to cut the world count significantly. He needs to spend some time watching some old Richie Benaud commentaries [emoji6]
Cricket is mostly nothing happening though, to be fair.

• React
Reactions: m
Something that’s not been mentioned at all yet - the return of Sykes is big news. If KR considers him back with his head in the right space, he’s a huge addition to our squad.
Did very little... like most of his performances.

Does anyone have the stats for Ox with/without Stevens this season?

In the league it’s 6 played 12 points with Stevens against 13 games 13 points with Eastwood, so from relegation form to promotion form. Been a massive change for us which has paid off.

Karl praised Sykes Hanson Clare and Forde specifically after the match hopefully putting an end to the frozen out etc debate. Everyone put in a 100% performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom