Away Match Day Thread 29/12/2020 L1 Plymouth Argyle v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something that’s not been mentioned at all yet - the return of Sykes is big news. If KR considers him back with his head in the right space, he’s a huge addition to our squad.

I still don’t see this side being capable of making the playoffs like last season but they are at least an entertaining bunch. Onwards we go.

I think we’ll be rueing that start.

Effectively we’ve got Atkinson for Dickie, Stevens for a deteriorating Eastwood, McGuane for Browne, Winnall for Mackie, potentially Clare for Holland, Hanson perhaps an added bonus, Brannagan to come in for Brannagan then a January transfer window to clear out what little deadwood there is...it’s arguably better on paper than the team that finished last season.

Once we were level I thought we pretty much then took control of the game and apart from a couple of fleeting moments (especially their penalty) we looked strong and all-round an upper to play off minimum table side and tbh most football minded Argyle supporters would probably agree to disagree on that performance.

Tonight I especially liked our players shouting and challenging for every ball that was a negligible 50/50 shout and this was something that needed to be addressed in our overall game and tonight I thought it shone through.

On a side note am I alone though in thinking that tonight some of the criticisms of the 'Stephen Bunting' of the EFL referee's personnel list Mr Brett Huxtable was a little out of order. I thought tonight he was generally an all-round all right good geezer who was in my soft hazel eyes pretty much bang on the money.

We are beginning to roll.

COYY'S.
Whilst those of a sensitive nature may not have appreciated some of the humour his lack of physical condition did make him an obvious yet gleefully unexpected target for abuse from some tonight. And he’s a referee.
Perfect combination.

Something that’s not been mentioned at all yet - the return of Sykes is big news. If KR considers him back with his head in the right space, he’s a huge addition to our squad.

not judging by tonight cameo, he was crap

I think we’ll be rueing that start.

Effectively we’ve got Atkinson for Dickie, Stevens for a deteriorating Eastwood, McGuane for Browne, Winnall for Mackie, potentially Clare for Holland, Hanson perhaps an added bonus, Brannagan to come in for Brannagan then a January transfer window to clear out what little deadwood there is...it’s arguably better on paper than the team that finished last season.

I agree. But that keeps happening under KR for whatever reason. It wastes so many early season points (and what should have been a derby day canter this year) that we make it so difficult for ourselves. Automatic promotion was dead after ten games as we’d already lost more than most sides that get automatically promoted achieve all season.

It’s something we need to fix to make ourselves serious contenders.

I agree. But that keeps happening under KR for whatever reason. It wastes so many early season points (and what should have been a derby day canter this year) that we make it so difficult for ourselves. Automatic promotion was dead after ten games as we’d already lost more than most sides that get automatically promoted achieve all season.

It’s something we need to fix to make ourselves serious contenders.
Think we need henry to rediscover his form and a winger of brownes quality to have a sniff of the playoffs. Plus cambran back to his best.

Take that all night long but the referee, what a w****r, what a fat useless t**t.

Who knows who got the yellow cards, I'll bet the ref doesn't have a scooby.
Any more derogatory phrases like that Sir and you will not be allowed back into your 1893 seats 😉😉

Did you see the third?
Yes I saw both penalties but thats it. Looking forward to watching the replay. Very cool pen by Shodipo. Impressed that both Forde and Sykes came on in spite of muppets like me suggesting there had been a falling out. There seems to be a real momentum building and without several key players, funny after all the doom and gloom on here a couple of short weeks ago .Mcguane is looking a real find.

Anyone else find it slightly odd that a referee from Devon is officiating a match at home to a Devon club? Although, he was pretty bad for Exeter when they had him. Failed to give them a very clear penalty.

The original Ref couldn't make it for whatever reason so I'd imagine he was the nearest option available.

Why is Ruffels first touch so poor that his second touch has to be a tackle?

I used to play in a team with a centre back who used to tackle his way up the pitch because his control was awful. Actually got us some goals which was amusing.

Last edited:
A Plymouth fan called in to RadOx and said he's not biased. He hammered Plymouth players previously in the same way. He's just a bad ref.

His arm only pointed in one direction so we got more free kicks in the 2nd. At least he got our penalty right and he got theirs correct as well.

I'd always hope that any one who puts the shirt on has a good game, but whilst he barely had any time, Sykes still looks a bit lost. I've no doubt he's struggling with confidence but he needs to grasp any chance he gets.

I was also disappointed with Agyei. It was a messy game and one where he had little opportunities, but wasn't great with the chances that came his way.

Equally, I thought Shodipo started badly, but he put a shift in second half and does seem to create something special even when he's not playing at his best. I thought he bought his penalty, but it was clever play making their defender leave a leg that he gratefully fell over.

I thought Hanson did well, although he's a Lidl's version of Gorrin, he still did well to regain control after the initial onslaught from Plymouth. Likewise, Forde did a decent job when he came on.

So, of the "fringe" players, I suspect that we won't see much more of Sykes before he goes out on loan, and Agyei could also be at risk depending on the fitness of Winnall and targets that may come in. The others will continue to play a role this season, but I think they'll all face greater competition in the coming weeks.

Jerome and Nick were commentating from the iFollow stream - the BBC would not allow them to travel to Plymouth as they live in a tier 4 area

But Nathan and Stevie K were definitely there tonight!

They talked about sitting in the stand, complained about the fact that the TV in their press box didn't work whilst everyone else's did - and then discussed the 200 mile drive home (Stevie K was talking about having to get back to Northants; and about it being Tier 3)!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom