• Wigan

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 11 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackpool v posh postponed frozen pitch aswell. 3 points a must Sunday to put pressure on the teams not playing.

Yeah end of cold weather is tomorrow last real cold night tonight.

Back to mild muck and rain for time being will be a real change in temps next week.. least pitches will be playable. Enough delays with Covid..

LAST Uโ€™s win over the Latics in Oxford :

April 23rd 1983

United 2-0 Wigan

Hardwick - Fogg Briggs Shotton Smithers - Lawrence Brock Jones Barnett - Thomas Vinter

Goal scorers - Andy Thomas & George Lawrence

Att: 4,596

Bobby Charlton , then a Director at Wigan Athletic was caretaker manager from April 4th 1983
and had nine games in charge. Before the game Oxford Utd fans staged a sit in protest on the
Manor Ground pitch against Robert Maxwellโ€™s Thames Valley Royals FC plans which were leaked the
previous Saturday after the Uโ€™s Won 1-0 at Doncaster Rovers.

CDJb7lMWYAEEOZW

wow, is that the Osler Road?? Looks Sunday league

God, I really hope we can get 3 points tomorrow.
It always worries me when we play teams near the bottom.

I had no recollection of that 1983 match at all; then I looked back in my diary for that year and I wasnโ€™t there anyway. Used to live on the Cowley Road then, opposite the bus depot, happy days! Did go to the 7-0 though, fair dues to Wigan and my son who walked out when it was 5-0... ๐Ÿ˜ข

I had no recollection of that 1983 match at all; then I looked back in my diary for that year and I wasnโ€™t there anyway. Used to live on the Cowley Road then, opposite the bus depot, happy days! Did go to the 7-0 though, fair dues to Wigan and my son who walked out when it was 5-0... ๐Ÿ˜ข

That 7-0 was sheer torture. Me and my lad stayed until the end but I could hardly watch as they poured forward in search of more. They looked like getting double figures at one point as they were carving out chance after chance and I could see us making national headlines - on the front page !

Iirc during the 7-0 affair the ref gave them everything and one free kick against us was so blatantly wrong the Wigan player kicked the free kick into touch on purpose to give us a throw. They were 3 or 4 to the good by that stage though.

Iirc during the 7-0 affair the ref gave them everything and one free kick against us was so blatantly wrong the Wigan player kicked the free kick into touch on purpose to give us a throw. They were 3 or 4 to the good by that stage though.
I remember Paul Cook telling his player to throw a throw in to us because the linesman got it wrong . They were five up at the time though.

I wonder if the Manor could have been developed in the way Blundell Park has?
Great to see a ground still nestled in the community
And with several pubs more or less outside the ground ( there was the last time I went there)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom