Home Match Day Thread 14/02/2021 L1 OUFC v Wigan

Not now we have options. However, if we were picking players based on their form, Henry would have been on the bench for many of the earlier games in the season..
He may have been but if he rediscovers his form he would definitely be a starter.

He may have been but if he rediscovers his form he would definitely be a starter.
That’s a big if. Like I said, we’re nearly 30 games into the season and he’s yet to find it. I wouldn’t start Henry ahead of a fully fit Maguane. I also wouldn’t start Henry ahead of Barker, Lee or Shodipo.

Today was a good example of our play this season. For 60 minutes we endlessly passed the ball sideways or backwards,the number of times the midfielders recieved the ball but didnt look forwards had me shouting at the screen FORWARD ffs. Suddenly after the goal we had to look forwards and our play was transformed. Would it not be possible to play like that from the off. That was one of the reasons Sykes got MOM at least he tried to make things happen, and hes going to have to, to keep his place which I hope he does. Barker and Lee are quite some weapons to have acquired cant wait to see how it pans out or even who is going to start on Tuesday!

58 pages for one match must be a record. Another record might be the lack of draws this season I cant actually remember the last one.

4 on the bounce in early December, Ipswich, Hull & FGR at home and Blackpool away all ended in draws....

Just watched their goal again, Stevens does nothing wrong and in fact should be praised for quick distribution to our quickest player who on another day might have turned and caused them problems. Barker hangs his head when the ball hits the net which shows he blames himself. Mad3 up for it though with a wonderful cross to Winnall.

EuNzfrZXcAw1bMC

Have to say I enjoyed the game. We could have had more goals and we are not frightened to shoot from outside the box.
I was disappointed with Kelly again. Brannagan needs more match time and a goal.
Stevens for me is a top performer at this level and it makes me wonder where we would be had we dropped Eastwood a few matches earlier. I’d play him tomorrow but I can’t imagine we will be at the Kassam again watching him in goal.

Just watched their goal again, Stevens does nothing wrong and in fact should be praised for quick distribution to our quickest player who on another day might have turned and caused them problems. Barker hangs his head when the ball hits the net which shows he blames himself. Mad3 up for it though with a wonderful cross to Winnall.
Got to reduce the risks. He throws a ball to a player with his back to play. That particular player (Barker) attributes is running at players facing them, so yes, if Stevens had thrown it for Barker to break/run on to then great play.

Not an horrendous mistake, but one to learn from. And yes, Barker could do a lot better/be stronger etc, but the odds were stacked against him in that scenario, especially knowing the type of player he is e.g. not strong in the tackle or back to play, hence why I think it was a poor decision by Stevens.

I also vaguely remember we’d just broken up an attack by them so our defensive shape was poor e.g. players out of position, so it just needed a moment of calmness.

Obviously, like I said if there was a clear break-away option on e.g. Barker facing play, one in one etc then that would have been a great decision by Stevens, but that wasn’t the case, hence was I was frustrated by Stevens’ decision and of course Barker losing the ball cheaply.

Glad that ox mail have brought back player ratings, and understand that everyone see’s the game differently. But Kelly 6.5,Gorrin 6... did I watch a different game?
Gorrin did misplace a few passes but he was directly targeted by the Wigan midfielders every time he got the ball, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't dispossessed once. Very impressive for me.

Barker was pressed quickly ,I would have expected a player with his ability to read that, understand he was 35 yards from goal and play the way he was facing to Ruffles who was completely free instead of turning into trouble . A good idea the quick throw but well read by Wigan.
Pretty much how I saw it. Another day Barker could have turned the defender and be gone, we'd be saying what a great bit of distribution it was.

At the time it was 0-0 and we were looking to win the game. They were committed forward so a quick release and counter could have proved dangerous, but fair play to Wigan, they read the danger and turned it to their advantage.

I'd be critical of Stevens had we been 1-0 up at the time, but not for that. Good idea, maybe poor execution.

It hasn’t been below three million quid a year since we were in League Two, so that’s nothing new. Nor is such a figure bank busting for this level. It’s very decent and competitive, but not remotely OTT. The top ten clubs in the division in terms of budget are spending at least that number. Not sure why they’re using 3m as some sort of benchmark for apparent big spenders.

I liked the comment about our team, like all L1 teams, being made up of free transfers and loans. The poster must have missed us signing Elliott Moore, Rob Atkinson, Mark Sykes, Jamie Hanson, Cameron Brannagan, Luke McNally and Dan Agyei where must have totalled getting towards £1m. The poster must have also missed Peterborough signing 2 players for over £1m in the last couple of seasons, Sunderland spending plenty on transfer fees and even Rochdale have paid out some transfer fees (albeit small ones). This, of course, is generally exceeded by sales but not sure if Sunderland have achieved this but they did sell Maja and a number of youth players.

Back
Top Bottom