General Yesteryear

ON THIS DAY : February 3rd 1973 - FA Cup Round Four

Oxford Utd 0-2 QPR

U’s : Burton - Lucas Clarke Roberts Shuker - Evanson Gough Skeen Fleming - Cassidy Curran

Att: 16,057

EtSdCcEXcAIzO_g

Over 16k packed in the Manor

The mighty U's were plying thier trade in old league division 2 ( now the Championship) in 1973 ...if memory serves

Esq7PXFW4AYWB49

ON THIS DAY : February 4th 2014

Bury 1-1 Oxford Utd

Seven years ago today Josh Ruffels netted his first goal for the U’s at Gigg Lane.

U’s : Clarke - Bevans Mullins Hunt Newey - Ruffels Rose Wroe - Smalley Constable O’Dowda

At: 2,303

Last edited:
Esq7PXFW4AYWB49

Bury 1-1 Oxford Utd

Seven years ago today Josh Ruffels netted his first goal for the U’s at Gigg Lane.

U’s : Clarke - Bevans Mullins Hunt Newey - Ruffels Rose Wroe - Smalley Constable O’Dowda

That demonstrates how much the club (on and off the pitch) has developed in 7 years. Also how much Josh Ruffels has developed as well.

Esq7PXFW4AYWB49

Bury 1-1 Oxford Utd

been to Gigg Lane twice ( watching the U's) - and that game^^ was one of them

ON THIS DAY : February 3rd 1973 - FA Cup Round Four

Oxford Utd 0-2 QPR

U’s : Burton - Lucas Clarke Roberts Shuker - Evanson Gough Skeen Fleming - Cassidy Curran

Att: 16,057

EtSdCcEXcAIzO_g

I was there. We just couldn't score.
Top photo. Dick Lucas, Dave Roberts, Don Givens(QPR)
Bottom photo. Dave Roberts, Terry Mancini(QPR), Nigel Cassidy, Tony Hazell(QPR)
Great memories.

And Trevor Francis between Lucas and Shuker on the programme cover
I was there; Keith Gough and John Fleming alongside Evo, now that was a lightweight midfield.
I think it's Bob Latchford between Steve Aylott and Shuker.
Certainly was a light midfield. We didn't have many options at the time. Good up front, good defence, midfield bit of a let down.

Evanson was a bit rubbish and then got a lot better I seem to remember. Mind you Cass and Hughie were quite a pair up front and Clarke and Roberts at the back!

ON THIS DAY : February 7th 1976

Oxford Utd 1-1 Chelsea

Mick Tait put Oxford ahead. Bill Garner equalised for Chelsea after mix-up between Houseman and Burton.

U’s : Burton - Taylor Lowe C Clarke Shuker - M Briggs Houseman D Clarke Tait - Foley McCulloch

Att : 11,162

CamSmovWwAAiOf2

EehKs9PXgAUsWA0

CPqnBKiWcAA1PRf
Etr4jg3XEAIEe5Y
CYIc9AHW8AEyZGN

ON THIS DAY : February 8th 1975

Oxford Utd 1-0 Manchester Utd

The Match of Day cameras descend on Headington where Derek Clarke nets the winner for the U’s.

U’s : Burton - Light Roberts C Clarke Shuker - McGrogan Jeffrey Aylott Duncan - McCulloch D Clarke

Att: 15,815

CPqnBKiWcAA1PRf
Etr4jg3XEAIEe5Y
CYIc9AHW8AEyZGN

ON THIS DAY : February 8th 1975

Oxford Utd 1-0 Manchester Utd

The Match of Day cameras descend on Headington where Derek Clarke nets the winner for the U’s.

U’s : Burton - Light Roberts C Clarke Shuker - McGrogan Jeffrey Aylott Duncan - McCulloch D Clarke

Att: 15,815
More than a few pairs of white Skinners jeans on display in the middle picture ^^

ON THIS DAY : February 13th 1982

FA Cup 5th Round

Coventry City 4-0 Oxford United

Two goals apiece from Coventry’s big strikers Garry Thompson and Mark Hateley ended United’s FA Cup hopes
at all-seater Highfield Road after a fantastic run in 1981-82 competition.

U’s: Burton - Doyle Wright Briggs Fogg - Brock Jeffrey Thomas Smithers - Foley Cassells Sub: Kearns

Att: 20,251

DzRi7lOX0AARjPC
DzRi7naWoAA1Avo

Last edited:
ON THIS DAY : February 13th 1982

FA Cup 5th Round

Coventry City 4-0 Oxford United

Two goals apiece from Coventry’s big strikers Garry Thompson and Mark Hateley ended United’s FA Cup hopes
at all-seater Highfield Road after a fantastic run in 1981-82 competition.

U’s: Burton - Doyle Wright Briggs Fogg - Brock Jeffrey Thomas Smithers - Foley Cassells Sub: Kearns

Att: 20,251

DzRi7lOX0AARjPC
DzRi7naWoAA1Avo
If memory serves wasnt that when a section of Oxford's away following reconverted away seating area back into a terrace?

CFCQCi6UgAAGI2B

ON THIS DAY : February 15th 1964

FA Cup 5th Round

Oxford Utd 3-1 Blackburn Rovers

U’s: Fearnley - Beavon Kyle Quartermain Shuker - Knight R.Atkinson Longbottom Harrington - Calder Jones

Att: 21,700

EnGCdlfWMAAM-Wb
Record attendance at the Manor... for a few weeks....I was lucky enough to be there aged 6 , with me Dad....we were on the temporary scaffolding terrace on the Osler road...Big Ron was chaired off the pitch after the final whistle. At the time Blackburn.were flying high in the old first division (now PL) , the U's were mid table in old division 4 (now league 2) .... im not a programme collector, but the matchday programme for that historic giantkilling is one of the few I have

ON THIS DAY : February 21st 1973

Bologna, ITALY - Anglo-Italian Cup

U’s captain John Shuker pictured pre-match before the 0-0 draw.

U’s : Burton - Lucas Roberts Clarke Shuker - Aylott Evanson Fleming Sloan - Cassidy Curran

EokOn0JW4AA5TyY
Looks like they are presenting us with a box of wine, and in return we are giving them an old bra... 😁

Back
Top Bottom