General Yesteryear

That was one of the best comebacks -from being (way) behind- ever at The Manor

another that I (vaguely) recall was coming back to draw at the Manor with Pompey, in a high scoring game , it was either 4-4 or 5-5 ... we scored the equaliser with more or less the last kick of that game :)
5-5, think we were 5-2 down in the 87th minute. Midweek games at The Manor were always an occasion.

Another great comeback was in the early days. August 1967 Bury at home I was a nipper on the Osler Road terrace with my Dad. We were 4-2 down with about 15 mins left and won 5-4!! Goalscorers were Tony Jones 2, Graham Atkinson, Mickey Bullock and Barry Thornley. Great comeback considering Big Ron was out injured!!

Another great comeback was in the early days. August 1967 Bury at home I was a nipper on the Osler Road terrace with my Dad. We were 4-2 down with about 15 mins left and won 5-4!! Goalscorers were Tony Jones 2, Graham Atkinson, Mickey Bullock and Barry Thornley. Great comeback considering Big Ron was out injured!!
I was talking to a so called football fan , and when I said about Graham , he goes you mean Ron l said no mate he had a brother!

That was one of the best comebacks -from being (way) behind- ever at The Manor

another that I (vaguely) recall was coming back to draw at the Manor with Pompey, in a high scoring game , it was either 4-4 or 5-5 ... we scored the equaliser with more or less the last kick of that game :)
Yes the Pompey game was a great comeback too ... But I do recall feeling bit annoyed we did not win! lol . They was very good days indeed.

EFdTuo_U4AAVjZR

ON THIS DAY - 23rd November 1985

A John Aldridge hat-trick sees United stage an amazing second half recovery after trailing 0-3 at the break to Ipswich Town
at the Manor.

United : Steve Hardwick; David Langan Neil Slatter Mal Shotton John Trewick , Ray Houghton Les Phillips Trevor Hebberd
Andy Thomas , Peter Rhoades-Brown John Aldridge.

Att: 9,387

I wuz there too

Cage was with the moat from early 80s until 1985. When the cage was in place it was it only ran the width of the penalty area and was designed to stop coins being thrown at the goalie. From edge of the penalty area there was no fence at all, just the wall and the moat.
Up until summer '85 the only "fences" at the Manor were at Cuckoo Lane and the uncovered part of Osler Road that ran up to the half way line.
When changes to the Manor were made in 1985 (Three stands - away seats, "family terrace" which was turned to seating in summer '86 and the stand with the low roof), moat removed at London Road and Beach Road terrace to the Cuckoo Lane end of the tunnel being seated) the whole ground was fenced in.

EoiazIFWEAAlxIW

ON THIS DAY : 6th December 1969

QPR 1-2 U’s ( Ken Skeen, Colin Harrington )

Att: 12,018

Jimmy Barron - Dick Lucas, Colin Clarke, Rod Smithson, Robin Gladwin - Colin Harrington, Brian Thompson, Ron Atkinson,
John Shepherd - Ken Skeen, Graham Atkinson

CJYEgZLWsAA_Jv9

Somebody needs to tell The Tank he has misjudged that!

EoiazIFWEAAlxIW

Jimmy Barron - Dick Lucas, Colin Clarke, Rod Smithson, Robin Gladwin - Colin Harrington, Brian Thompson, Ron Atkinson,

CJYEgZLWsAA_Jv9
Those really were the days, (my friend), PROPER kits ... and very , very rarely did any team have to play in a changed strip in away games... and if they did, it was often a reversal of sorts of the main kit using the club colours

- if memory serves - and it may not- on the rare occasion when the U's were required to wear a changed strip for an away game, it was white ( I think)?

before the fleece the fans attitude with 2, 3 or more kits a season were imposed by money obsessed owners of top flight clubs

aside note- One odd fa cup tie, V Watford ( when the wall at the london road end collapsed in the 2nd half) both the U's and Watford played in changed kits Red n White and Blue and white ( it ended in a draw- then went to a replay) cant recall why? - those were also the days of just one substitute, when first team players could manage two ninety minute games a week, and extra time too if a cup game was drawn after 90 mins. - I can vaguely remember in the early 60s Oxford United playing 3 games in 4 days over Easter weekend , Good Friday, Easter Saturday and Easter Monday- no squad rotation to 'rest' players, football was real mans game back then IMO

Those really were the days, (my friend), PROPER kits ... and very , very rarely did any team have to play in a changed strip in away games... and if they did, it was often a reversal of sorts of the main kit using the club colours

- if memory serves - and it may not- on the rare occasion when the U's were required to wear a changed strip for an away game, it was white ( I think)?

before the fleece the fans attitude with 2, 3 or more kits a season were imposed by money obsessed owners of top flight clubs

aside note- One odd fa cup tie, V Watford ( when the wall at the london road end collapsed in the 2nd half) both the U's and Watford played in changed kits Red n White and Blue and white ( it ended in a draw- then went to a replay) cant recall why? - those were also the days of just one substitute, when first team players could manage two ninety minute games a week, and extra time too if a cup game was drawn after 90 mins. - I can vaguely remember in the early 60s Oxford United playing 3 games in 4 days over Easter weekend , Good Friday, Easter Saturday and Easter Monday- no squad rotation to 'rest' players, football was real mans game back then IMO
Blimey, this is a bit spooky, I was remembering being at this game the other day. Colin Harrington had one of his better days, Rodney Marsh contributed very little. What I remember most was talking to an Oxford fan who had been threatened by a QPR fan with screwdriver. Strange how the memory works (’five more minutes, nurse’)...

EoiazIFWEAAlxIW

M
Blimey, this is a bit spooky, I was remembering being at this game the other day. Colin Harrington had one of his better days, Rodney Marsh contributed very little. What I remember most was talking to an Oxford fan who had been threatened by a QPR fan with screwdriver. Strange how the memory works (’five more minutes, nurse’)...
On the vein of QPR fans it reminded me that a bunch of QPR yobs were trying to nick my scarf (rather fashionably at the time draped over my belt). Bit of a tug of war entailed until a massive QPR skinhead appeared and told them to clear off and stop picking on kids!

Last edited:

Yep, dead right Sarge. I remember the first away shirt my Dad bought me. It was the white one with the red and blue diagonal stripe a virtual copy of the C Palace home shirt at the time.
And yes, three games at Easter was the norm. No squad rotation then just straight back onto the pitch!!
I was sat on that wall when it collapsed. Luckily I was on the Osler Road side and the collapse finished near the goal!!

BuVvAB3IUAAsr6Z

ON THIS DAY - 7th December 1983

Manchester Utd 1-1 Oxford Utd ( Milk Cup 5th Round Replay]

Kevin Brock with a ‘ brockbuster ‘ of a free-kick at Old Trafford put the U’s into a second half lead
before Frank Stapleton headed the equaliser for the Reds,

United: Steve Hardwick - Paul Hinshelwood, Gary Briggs, Mal Shotton, Bobby McDonald - George Lawrence, Trevor Hebberd,
Andy Thomas, Kevin Brock - Mick Vinter, Steve Biggins

Att: 27,459

(This is the first time I’ve seen the Brock free-kick on TV)

Back
Top Bottom