General Yesteryear

ON THIS DAY : February 21st 1973

Bologna, ITALY - Anglo-Italian Cup

U’s captain John Shuker pictured pre-match before the 0-0 draw.

U’s : Burton - Lucas Roberts Clarke Shuker - Aylott Evanson Fleming Sloan - Cassidy Curran

EokOn0JW4AA5TyY
And the Lino on the left must be the actor Ron Moody(Fagin in Oliver)surely!?😀

ON THIS DAY : February 21st 1973

Bologna, ITALY - Anglo-Italian Cup

U’s captain John Shuker pictured pre-match before the 0-0 draw.

U’s : Burton - Lucas Roberts Clarke Shuker - Aylott Evanson Fleming Sloan - Cassidy Curran

EokOn0JW4AA5TyY
We did really well in this comp.
2 wins and 2 draws in 4 games.
We won 2-0 away at Roma with Hughie getting both goals. Hughie was averaging almost a goal every 2 games that season and he was carrying a knee injury almost constantly.

Queued for hours along London Rd for tickets for this and the Preston match. I was 20 at the time and had been a supporter since their last season in the old Southern league after which we replaced Accrington in the 4th division. Amazing coincidence that years later, Accrington replaced us in the football league.

Queued for hours along London Rd for tickets for this and the Preston match. I was 20 at the time and had been a supporter since their last season in the old Southern league after which we replaced Accrington in the 4th division. Amazing coincidence that years later, Accrington replaced us in the football league.
I can just about remember queueing for tickets ( with me dad, i was 6 at the time) for the blackburn and then the pne cup games

Queue went down London Road, right into Sandfield Road, left into Woodlands Road, right into Staunton Road and ended near Headley Way. 5/- a ticket if my memory serves me right.

As no-one else has mentioned .... on this day (24/2/73) Sw*nd*n T*wn 1 Oxford Utd 3, Dave Roberts, Nigel Cassidy and Hughie Curran with a goal apiece

It was the U's first win ever at the skip , and that season 72/73 we did the double over them winning 1-0 at the Manor

153529282_269560974578794_2201286813695352048_n.jpg.gallery.jpg

CPqnBKiWcAA1PRf
Etr4jg3XEAIEe5Y
CYIc9AHW8AEyZGN

ON THIS DAY : February 8th 1975

Oxford Utd 1-0 Manchester Utd

The Match of Day cameras descend on Headington where Derek Clarke nets the winner for the U’s.

U’s : Burton - Light Roberts C Clarke Shuker - McGrogan Jeffrey Aylott Duncan - McCulloch D Clarke

Att: 15,815
It’s the white bell bottom trousers in the photo that bring back memories 😁

It’s the white bell bottom trousers in the photo that bring back memories 😁
It's the awesome Manor Ground scoreboard that brings the memories back for me, watching it on occasions go haywire and just spin numbers round 😍

When did that go? Thinking it must have been summer of '85 when the club ruined the far end of the Osler Road with the away seating.

CPqnBKiWcAA1PRf
Etr4jg3XEAIEe5Y
CYIc9AHW8AEyZGN

ON THIS DAY : February 8th 1975

Oxford Utd 1-0 Manchester Utd

The Match of Day cameras descend on Headington where Derek Clarke nets the winner for the U’s.

U’s : Burton - Light Roberts C Clarke Shuker - McGrogan Jeffrey Aylott Duncan - McCulloch D Clarke

Att: 15,815
I was in the 'upper standing terrace' of the beach road. I always arrived at the ground ridiculously early - to young to have discovered pubs - and I remember a group of about 30 Man U fans coming down the beach road chanting. They stopped about ten yards from the gates and then a couple of them ran at the gates and kung-fu kicked them. Both gates (in my mindseye there were two closed in the middle) flung open and the lads started to run towards the entrance. Again my recollection was that a single copper with a single dog held them at bay until reinforcements arrived.

I actually had a pair of yellow corduroy bell bottom trousers that I wore to games. Bought them in Ellistons in Magdalen Street in '69. They were well frayed by '72 and the then GF attached a fringe of blue knitting wool tassels to the bottom of each leg. Looking back I'm amazed that I never got chased out of any away grounds. (Apart from Fellows Park, but that wasn't down to the trousers).
And just think the white ones ended up being shorter and a tartan hem was added fortunately the girls wore them and listening to them going on about the rollers, not sure if I was wearing two tone staypress back then with the Brutus shirt

CFCQCi6UgAAGI2B

ON THIS DAY : February 15th 1964

FA Cup 5th Round

Oxford Utd 3-1 Blackburn Rovers

U’s: Fearnley - Beavon Kyle Quartermain Shuker - Knight R.Atkinson Longbottom Harrington - Calder Jones

Att: 21,700

EnGCdlfWMAAM-Wb
They were great days at the Manor, i was packed into the London Road i was 18 at the time, and then against Preston in the next round, for me football isnt the same match day experience now,

Back
Top Bottom