General Yesteryear

They were great days at the Manor, i was packed into the London Road i was 18 at the time, and then against Preston in the next round, for me football isnt the same match day experience now,
The atmosphere was vastly superior back in the day but at least you can actual see now! 😳

Ets3BahWgAIina_

ON THIS DAY : February 27th 1999

Oxford Utd 0-0 Sunderland

Sky Sports screen the first competitive Pay-Per-View game for £7.95 with a Saturday night 6pm kick-off. It was a snooze fest.

U’s : Gerrard - Robinson Watson Gilchrist Powell - Banger Tait Gray Beauchamp - Francis Windass
Subs : Murphy, Thomson.

EsaJMCpW8AAy0Dv

ON THIS DAY : February 27th 1999

Oxford Utd 0-0 Sunderland

Sky Sports screen the first competitive Pay-Per-View game for £7.95 with a Saturday night 6pm kick-off. It was a snooze fest.

U’s : Gerrard - Robinson Watson Gilchrist Powell - Banger Tait Gray Beauchamp - Francis Windass
Subs : Murphy, Thomson.

EsaJMCpW8AAy0Dv
Not a bad back 5, Joey and Deano top players, but the rest of the team? Bang average. A Tait - Gray central midfield? Blimey...

LEAP DAY : February 29th 1964

22,750 pack into The Manor Ground for this 6th Round FA Cup tie versus Preston North End but ‘Busby Babe’
Alex Dawson (who died in July 2020) bundled in the winner for a 2-1 win.
Tony Jones scored Oxford’s goal.

U’s : Fearnley - Beavon Quartermain Kyle Shuker - Knight Atkinson Longbottom Harrington - Jones Calder

CbBwx28WwAAlMsj
EBO4RX6X4AwsleN
Cog_xxJUMAA53B2

Last edited:
ON THIS DAY: March 1st 1980

Oxford United 0-2 Sheffield Wednesday

Promotion chasing Sheffield Wednesday rolled into town against Bill Asprey’s struggling U’s.
The afternoon was notable for the fact that the Jack Charlton’s Owl’s were backed by around 6,000 fans
on all sides of the Manor Ground.The U’s highest home gate of the season - 9,353 - saw goals by
Brian Hornsby and Terry Curran secure a comfortable away victory.

U’s : Brown - Fogg Briggs Cooke Watson - Brock Jeffrey Taylor Hodgson - Foley O’Dowd

Enxq_InWEAI_7LS

22,750 pack into The Manor Ground for this 6th Round FA Cup tie versus Preston North End but ‘Busby Babe’

U’s : Fearnley - Beavon Quartermain Kyle Shuker - Knight Atkinson Longbottom - Jones Calder

CbBwx28WwAAlMsj
EBO4RX6X4AwsleN
Cog_xxJUMAA53B2
The scaffold structures in the middle picture 😲 looks like a strong gust would have them down, must have taken some balls to watch from up there...

U’s : Fearnley - Beavon Quartermain Kyle Shuker - Knight Atkinson Longbottom Harrington - Jones Calder

CbBwx28WwAAlMsj
EBO4RX6X4AwsleN
Cog_xxJUMAA53B2
We was robbed

CFCQCi6UgAAGI2B

ON THIS DAY : February 15th 1964

FA Cup 5th Round

Oxford Utd 3-1 Blackburn Rovers

U’s: Fearnley - Beavon Kyle Quartermain Shuker - Knight R.Atkinson Longbottom Harrington - Calder Jones

Att: 21,700

EnGCdlfWMAAM-Wb
My dad wouldn't let me go to this game as he thought I was a bit young to be in such a big crowd. I was 8 at the time. I have always regretted not being able to be there, although I could understand my dad's decision.

ON THIS DAY : March 6th 1982

Newly appointed manager Jim Smith takes charge of Oxford Utd for the first time and inspires the U’s to a 2-0 win
at Ashton Gate , home of Bristol City. Mal Shotton and sub Ollie Kearns with the goals for Utd.

U’s: Burton - Doyle Briggs Shotton Fogg - Brock Jeffrey Thomas Seacole - Foley Cassells

ELfF-2qX0AEizx6

The scaffold structures in the middle picture 😲 looks like a strong gust would have them down, must have taken some balls to watch from up there...
In fact BBC were filming from up there. They used to put out.an FA Cup programme Saturday evening. Wally Barnes did the commentary, ex Arsenal and Welsh international. Before the days of MOTD.

ON THIS DAY : March 7th 2020

The last time we watched our beloved U’s away from home.

Josh Ruffels heads a dramatic late winner after the U’s trailed 2-0 at The New Meadow.
The 2019-20 season was curtailed but the late goal enabled United to finish fourth on the introduced
Points Per Game metric and meant United secured a play-off place for the first time as a Football League Club.

Shrewsbury 2-3 Oxford Utd (Browne, Agyei, Ruffels)

U’s : Eastwood - Long Dickie Moore Ruffels - Gorrin Henry Brannagan - Browne Taylor Holland
Subs : Sykes Agyei Mackie

Att: 6,474

EaFExPXXgAAvQLp

Last edited:
ON THIS DAY : March 7th 1992

Oxford Utd 5-3 Swindon Town

Goals from John Durnin (2) Jim Magilton and Joey Beauchamp (2) sees the U’s defeat Swindon for the first time since April 1982
in a thriller at the Manor.

U’s : Veysey - Robinson Evans Melville Williams - Beauchamp Lewis Magilton Allen - Durnin Aylott
Sub: Penney

Att: 7,995

DKux9AXWkAAmjDp

Last edited:
ON THIS DAY : March 7th 1992

Oxford Utd 5-3 Swindon Town

Goals from John Durnin (2) Jim Magilton and Joey Beauchamp (2) sees the U’s defeat Swindon for the first time since April 1982
in a thriller at the Manor.

U’s : Veysey - Robinson Evans Melville Williams - Beauchamp Lewis Magilton Allen - Durnin Aylott
Sub: Penney

Att: 7,995

Williams at left back? I don't remember him?

Back
Top Bottom