General Worst Stadium in England

He needs to travel down the A420. The away end facilities are shown in the Charity advert for s**t Aid.

I bet he hasn't been to Reading City's ground...

Last edited:
It’s got three stands, is nowhere near anything of interest, has a limited number of pubs nearby, 90% of fans drive to it because public transport options are limited meaning it takes ages to leave it, the stands are too far from the pitch, it smells of poo, it’s cold and it scarcely had any meaningful maintenance in 22 years …

But other that that it’s alright.

It’s got three stands, is nowhere near anything of interest, has a limited number of pubs nearby, 90% of fans drive to it because public transport options are limited meaning it takes ages to leave it, the stands are too far from the pitch, it smells of poo, it’s cold and it scarcely had any meaningful maintenance in 22 years …

sounds Like a new ground is needed?

It certainly lacks charisma .
Highlighted at every home game, by the number of fans who wait in there cars until shortly before kickoff .
It’s a click n collect stadium .

It does sum up the lack of pre match choices fans have. If fans don’t know about the blackbird or the rugby club then there is literally only J’s Bar for a half decent pint in a ‘football environment’ and even then it’s not the best. It’s part of the reason I will stay down for a game so I can go to the blackbird pre and post match and then into town after the game.

I have a good seat and can walk there from my house, and it has by now built up a fair stock of memories. But by any objective measure it’s dreadful.

It does sum up the lack of pre match choices fans have. If fans don’t know about the blackbird or the rugby club then there is literally only J’s Bar for a half decent pint in a ‘football environment’ and even then it’s not the best. It’s part of the reason I will stay down for a game so I can go to the blackbird pre and post match and then into town after the game.
Is the Blackbird actually a decent pub? When with mates we drink in the city beforehand and get a bus down.

When the priory was open and they had the massive gazebo in the carpark it made the matchday much more pleasing (sorry for the Karl Robinson pun)

youve never experienced the pre-match buffet in the 'bird?
Nope, not from Oxford so don't really know what's what to be fair. Ocassionally will go to the George in Littlemore after games with mates (if we win usually!)

Nope, not from Oxford so don't really know what's what to be fair. Ocassionally will go to the George in Littlemore after games with mates (if we win usually!)

The Blackbird is a lovely pub.

Ever since they removed the artex from the top of the cisterns to stop folk doing lines the standards surged, and then the buffet was launched and Glen`s backroom....... its now heaven on earth. On a purely ITK basis.......

I like the Blackbird, proper council estate boozer which puts of some of our more middle class fans and it also keeps the real ale mob away which is no bad thing. Plus you can never accuse Glen of skimping on the heating in the winter, it’s roasting in there.

The priory was a big loss though, that big outside area could hold loads and having can bars just sped up getting a drink, normal pubs will always struggle to serve fast enough once they hit a certain number in there.

Hopefully the new ground will have some bars in that you don’t mind drinking in and that are built to serve quicker, the concourses at the Kassam are terrible, no reason for a newly built stadium not to have much better, if you have ten thousand plus fans eating and drinking before, during and after matches that is one hell of a lot of extra revenue, a tenner per person spend average say is about £2.5 million quid off 10 thousand average crowd a season, have to get that side of it right in the new ground.

Back
Top Bottom