World Cup match chat

So Hazard's penalty set the record - 27 games to start a World Cup without a 0-0 draw.

Admittedly the previous record holder, 1954, stopped at 26 because that's how many games there were in the tournament.

But still.....at least even the most boring game in this tournament has had one moment of excitement.

(and this Belgium-Tunisia game is certainly not the most boring! Think the Belgians may be the most attack-minded team in the competition)

Great game between Serbia and Switzerland tonight. Too equally matched teams, three good goals and if that Shaqiri shot had gone in ...

Shouldn't mention this game without reference to the blatant and obscene abuse of VAR to deny Serbia a penalty. They were cheated, no more, no less. It should, but won't, be justified. Not that it could be.

Switzerland had an extremely dubious penalty to even get there as I recall. Lucky Switzerland?

England need to put their collective scoring boots on for tomorrows group match against Panama!

Especially after Belgium's 5-2 demolition of Tunisia

although not 'all over' yet, it does seem the best England can hope for from the group stage is to qualify to the knockout stages in second place,
though two wins, albeit unlikely the way Belgium are playing, would see England win group G

Very nice to see Lukaka actually wave off a penalty shout when he went down in the box. Great to see.

First 10 minutes of Korea scything down Mexico are a decent example of the need for yellow cards.

Soft penalty now.

Really? I seem to be completely out of step with the rest of the world regarding handballs.

I keep hearing in modern day football that "it wasn't intentional, he didn't mean to handle it". But defenders don't mean to foul attackers in the box, they're going for the ball and they accidentally get the man.

Likewise, if your hand is out there, and you deflect the ball away from a goalscoring opportunity, then it's a penalty. Not a carding offence, but a penalty.

Likewise, if your hand is out there, and you deflect the ball away from a goalscoring opportunity, then it's a penalty. Not a carding offence, but a penalty.

Absolutely agree.

It's one thing if your arm is down by your side......but if you're waving your arm above your head like the South Korean guy was, then it's a pen all day every day - even if it's clobbered at you from two inches away.

If you're not deliberately trying to handle the ball, why are you sticking your arm up in the air?

although not 'all over' yet, it does seem the best England can hope for from the group stage is to qualify to the knockout stages in second place,
though two wins, albeit unlikely the way Belgium are playing, would see England win group G

Not really sure this is the worst thing in the world though.

There might be a whole bunch more shocks of course, but if things settle down into the more expected patterns from here then Brazil, France and (if they make it) Germany and Argentina will all be in the same half of the draw. It's not impossible that Spain could end up there as well (if Ronaldo Portugal wins big against Iran). And it'll be the half of the draw that awaits the winners of England's group.

Now obviously Mexico & Croatia have looked like two of the best teams so far. But when the knockout stages come round, experience has traditionally held sway......

I know which half I would choose to be in!

Not really sure this is the worst thing in the world though.

There might be a whole bunch more shocks of course, but if things settle down into the more expected patterns from here then Brazil, France and (if they make it) Germany and Argentina will all be in the same half of the draw. It's not impossible that Spain could end up there as well (if Ronaldo Portugal wins big against Iran). And it'll be the half of the draw that awaits the winners of England's group.

Now obviously Mexico & Croatia have looked like two of the best teams so far. But when the knockout stages come round, experience has traditionally held sway......

I know which half I would choose to be in!
Indeed :cool:

Big pressure on the Germans now with Mexico looking certain to win, must win I reckon as I can see Mexico Sweden being a draw if that suits both teams.

Big pressure on the Germans now with Mexico looking certain to win, must win I reckon as I can see Mexico Sweden being a draw if that suits both teams.
wouldnt it be a proper poke in the eye for both BBC and ITV pundits if some of the perceived big guns like Germany, Argentina went home at the group stages ?:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Underdogs they may be, but can we call a spade a spade and say that South Korea are a bunch of dirty b@stards! With another ref they may have saw three red cards.

wouldnt it be a proper poke in the eye for both BBC and ITV pundits if some of the perceived big guns like Germany, Argentina went home at the group stages ?:unsure::unsure::unsure:

You just wonder if a FIFA official may just have a word in the ear of a couple of referees to 'go easy' on some of the big boys. Sadly, the CL is now set up to essentially aim for a Bayern Munich/Real Madrid/Barcelona etc final. All we can do is look longingly at the days where unfashionable sides like Club Bruges, Porto, Goteborg and Manchester United (;)) made the final.

Well, well, well. Mexico did what I expected them to do so now all eyes on the Germans. Was it a blip and can they remedy against it Sweden? What was concerning about Germany's performance against Mexico was the energy about the team. They looked tired physically and tired mentally too. Too many easy options squandered.

This is a Sweden side without one of those big stand-out names like Ibrahimovic, Larsson, Mellberg etc so there is no great talisman for them to turn to. It's been a good thing for them in qualifying having seen off the Netherlands and Italy. Germany, if they can revitalise themselves, are a different matter though. A draw and the final set of matches could get very, very interesting.

That's why the World Cup is brilliant!

Underdogs they may be, but can we call a spade a spade and say that South Korea are a bunch of dirty b@stards! With another ref they may have saw three red cards.

They certainly were dogged.

• React
Reactions: m
Sweden take the lead... Germany heading out? It can't happen, surely...

Great for Sweden. And should of had a pen earlier in the first half.

Back
Top Bottom