ITV World Cup Coverage IS

• Thread starter Deleted member 808
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 808

Utter rubbish. The whole coverage is poor ie the commentary, Sound Bite comments, so many adverts, choice of pundits used to dumb down the viewers. Why was Roy Keane on the panel of guests last night. The Argument/row between Roy Keane and Ian Wright live on air after the match last night was poor and un professional.

I am constantly amazed at how often ITV can be so much worse than the BBC when covering the same thing, whether news, sport or whatever. I watched the 10 o'clock news on ITV for the first time in ages a few weeks ago and it was absolutely appalling with every single headline heavily loaded an sensationalised. Football has always been worse (Except "Star Soccer") as has most sport. Other channels can take over from the Beeb and do a decent job (eg Cricket on Channel 4 and Channel 5), why can't ITV ever manage it?

Glenn Hoddle

I'm actually quite a fan of Hoddle on commentary (prior club connections aside).

He actually adds information. Most of the co-commentators now are just saying the same things we all know ("He really should have scored from there", "Messi isn't doing what we all know he's capable of", "Needed a better connection with the ball"). They're just there to blandly fill gaps while the Tyldesleys and Mowbrays stop to take a drink of water.

Listening to Hoddle, he actually adds professional information. Tells you how the teams are lined up to play, why they're lined up to play the way they are, and why the systems are succeeding/failing throughout the match.

I barely ever watch ITV. Maybe only if there is football on (I forgo having Sky) or the occasional film but their original programming is atrocious. It’s like The Sun in TV form – celeb tittle-tattle, competitions and lowest-common denominator crap. Their equivalent of BBC Breakfast is just an excuse to create clickbait. Invite someone like Katie Hopkins on, allow her to face the slings and arrows and nail viewing figures and clicks online. Everyone criticises the subject, but no one criticises the platform for allowing her on in the first place. The symbiotic relationship between ITV and preening professional controversialists is well and truly established.

Their World Cup coverage has been forgettable by virtue of having barely any time to say anything. How many advert breaks do they need?! Being shoved betting adverts every 5 minutes is tedious and they’ll get the usual pasting in the ratings with the Beeb when they both show the final. As Mooro says above, they shoot for sensationalism all the time. Tyldesley and Matterface look for hyperbole way too often when a more measured approach is needed. Sadly, we now see fewer commentators like Barry Davies or John Helm (maybe Martin Tyler still fits that role) anymore. Poor John Champion has had a fair number of quieter games to commentate on too when he's deserved better. England lose far more often on ITV which doesn’t help their reputation either. Maybe Mark Pougatch deserves a nod as a competent anchor but even he is a bit OTT when forced into the ITV mould. He's a worthy listen for 5Live's CL coverage.

In the past, ITV used to show University Challenge. They now show Love Island, Take Me Out and a host of crap shows with Keith Lemon. Make of that what you will.

It’s sad that Channel 4 don’t have more sport. They were great with cricket (Ashes 2005!) and the cult viewing of Football Italia. Shame they only have the unwatchable dullfest of Formula One.

I'm actually quite a fan of Hoddle on commentary (prior club connections aside).

He actually adds information. Most of the co-commentators now are just saying the same things we all know ("He really should have scored from there", "Messi isn't doing what we all know he's capable of", "Needed a better connection with the ball"). They're just there to blandly fill gaps while the Tyldesleys and Mowbrays stop to take a drink of water.

Listening to Hoddle, he actually adds professional information. Tells you how the teams are lined up to play, why they're lined up to play the way they are, and why the systems are succeeding/failing throughout the match.
I found him terrible yesterday and across the tournament. He's a nice guy, but dull as month old dishwater on commentary. The only worse one is Mark Lawrenson's grumpy old man routine.

I am constantly amazed at how often ITV can be so much worse than the BBC when covering the same thing, whether news, sport or whatever. I watched the 10 o'clock news on ITV for the first time in ages a few weeks ago and it was absolutely appalling with every single headline heavily loaded an sensationalised. Football has always been worse (Except "Star Soccer") as has most sport. Other channels can take over from the Beeb and do a decent job (eg Cricket on Channel 4 and Channel 5), why can't ITV ever manage it?

The Big Match used to be a decent highlights show tbf and Central Match live was generally a decent production. But agree recent stuff has been awful.

The Big Match used to be a decent highlights show tbf and Central Match live was generally a decent production. But agree recent stuff has been awful.

Back when dear old Brian Moore did it, it was the best.

i think World cup coverage and competition as a whole has suffered due to wall to wall football.Over hyped grossly overpaid prima donnas some of whom are downright attention seekers and feel the need to cheat and think it's normal.
Football and the powers that be should be ashamed of some of the antics of the so called best in the world

Yes "The Big Match" Programme was good even the very early editions from August 1969 when the programme was in both colour and black and white and action replays was cutting edge technology. 1966 world cup which was transmitted in black and white, was the first time action replay was used in TV coverage. Also the Granada version "The Match" hosted by Elton Welsby was good for it's time as well. ITV coverage was ok until all of the ITV regions were up for franchise change from January 1993 and everything started to be dumbed down. Including the ITV coverage of the 1994 World Cup hosted by Matthew Lorenzo who was sacked after the world cup due poor ratings in comparison with the BBC. This is my current view looking back at all of the football coverage video material that I have dealt with.

Did Oxford always have the "Big Match" then? I seemed to remember that "Star Soccer" reached this far south, but maybe not.
Was that only when it changed to Central rather than ATV?

Did Oxford always have the "Big Match" then? I seemed to remember that "Star Soccer" reached this far south, but maybe not.

I can remember the "Big Match" back in the 80s as I can remember watching the highlights when we beat Walsall away in the 83/84 season. Before that I haven't a clue.

Can't stand Hoddle!

Much prefer the BBC, Lineker etc all have good banter and give good analysis imo

Oxford wouldn't have had "The Big Match" as it was for the London Region only (Thames midweek and LWT weekends) "The Big Match" was a LWT production. Oxford would have had "Star Soccer" from Birmingham which was ATV before 1982 and then Central TV when they won the franchise right to Broadcast from 1982 onwards until Carlton bought out Central TV in the 1990's

Oxford wouldn't have had "The Big Match" as it was for the London Region only (Thames midweek and LWT weekends) "The Big Match" was a LWT production. Oxford would have had "Star Soccer" from Birmingham which was ATV before 1982 and then Central TV when they won the franchise right to Broadcast from 1982 onwards until Carlton bought out Central TV in the 1990's
That sounds like how I thought it was - I was up in Brum at that stage, so had Hugh Johns (And Gary Newbon) on Star Soccer as my Sunday afternoon football fix

So which one was this on?

As for some reason I remember it being on the Big Match but could be wrong.

So which one was this on?

As for some reason I remember it being on the Big Match but could be wrong.

I could hear Brian Moore's voice so it would have been on "The Big Match". "The Big Match" which was for the London Region and an Hour Long programme would have the main Highlights of a London Match ie Spurs v Chelsea for part 1 and part 2. Then in part 3 there would have been a highlighted match from ATV/Central Region ie Walsall V OUFC and in part 4 a match from Granada region or Yorkshire TV/Tyne Tees which would have the greatest interest.

The other regions ie ATV/Central would have the same approach ie "Star Soccer" would have the main Feature of Say Walsall v OUFC for Parts 1 and 2. A match from the London region Spurs v Chelsea in Part 3 and a featured match from Granada, Yorkshire TV/Tyne Tees in Part 4.
This would also apply to the same for Granada "The Match" hosted by Elton Welsby Parts 1 and 2 feature a match from the Granada region ie Liverpool v Manure and part 3 from the London region and part 4 from ATV/Central. phew

I could hear Brian Moore's voice so it would have been on "The Big Match". "The Big Match" which was for the London Region and an Hour Long programme would have the main Highlights of a London Match ie Spurs v Chelsea for part 1 and part 2. Then in part 3 there would have been a highlighted match from ATV/Central Region ie Walsall V OUFC and in part 4 a match from Granada region or Yorkshire TV/Tyne Tees which would have the greatest interest.

The other regions ie ATV/Central would have the same approach ie "Star Soccer" would have the main Feature of Say Walsall v OUFC for Parts 1 and 2. A match from the London region Spurs v Chelsea in Part 3 and a featured match from Granada, Yorkshire TV/Tyne Tees in Part 4.
This would also apply to the same for Granada "The Match" hosted by Elton Welsby Parts 1 and 2 feature a match from the Granada region ie Liverpool v Manure and part 3 from the London region and part 4 from ATV/Central. phew

Ah cheers.

So to summarise:

Keeperic
Out to left Wingeric
Cross to right Wingeric
Modric
Right Wingeric
Back to Modric
Lovely skills from Modric
Rackoftits
Back to Modric again
Lovely ball into the box from Modric