What Have You Been Watching Lately? (No Spoilers)

Am binge watching the latest series of 1,000 lb sisters. One of them might be pregnant.

Vigil and Boat Story.

Mrs EY(Mk2) hated Boat Story - put it in the same league as No Country for Old Men which she really disliked. :)

She enjoyed Vigil.

I enjoyed both.

Vigil and Boat Story.

Mrs EY(Mk2) hated Boat Story - put it in the same league as No Country for Old Men which she really disliked. :)

She enjoyed Vigil.

I enjoyed both.
What the hell is wrong with her?????????

That is one of the best films ever made. Javier Bardem played his role with so much smouldering menace.

Who'd have thought that two of my all time favourite films would be mentioned on YellowsForum, on two consecutive nights, in two completely unrelated threads. This place is a rich seam indeed.

I went to see The Boy And The Heron at the cinema on Sunday. Anime from Hayao Miyazaki / Studio Ghibli. Took a while to get going, with elements and themes from previous films like Grave of The Fireflies, My Neighbour Totoro, Spirited Away.

I went to see The Boy And The Heron at the cinema on Sunday. Anime from Hayao Miyazaki / Studio Ghibli. Took a while to get going, with elements and themes from previous films like Grave of The Fireflies, My Neighbour Totoro, Spirited Away.
Absolutely loved it - might well be my new favourite Ghibli and look forward to seeing it again.

We also went to watch Totora at the Barbican last month which was fantastic.

Absolutely loved it - might well be my new favourite Ghibli and look forward to seeing it again.

We also went to watch Totora at the Barbican last month which was fantastic.
I saw Totoro last year. I'd been checking for tickets for weeks, and one Saturday when we didn't have a game or I didn't fancy travelling, I did the 10am Barbican check, when they release a few tickets every day. So got a front row seat for £25 and then had a quick train into London to see the matinee performance. Going again next Friday, and also seeing Spirited Away at the London Coliseum in May.

I saw Totoro last year. I'd been checking for tickets for weeks, and one Saturday when we didn't have a game or I didn't fancy travelling, I did the 10am Barbican check, when they release a few tickets every day. So got a front row seat for £25 and then had a quick train into London to see the matinee performance. Going again next Friday, and also seeing Spirited Away at the London Coliseum in May.
Oh, fantastic. Hope you enjoy your second watch of it.

I'm really tempted to get Spirited Away tickets - can imagine that will work even better on stage.

We were back from Coventry in time to have tea at the Ashmolean with the girls. Scenes!
On telly, just watched Mr Bates Vs the Post office. Very good and it's a shame that it's taken something like this to stir the government up.

Also went to the theater this week to watch Back to Future the Musical. Not usually a fan of musicals but is was a Xmas present from my daughter before she went back to uni and it was very enjoyable

Earlier on in this thread I mentioned how much I had enjoyed watching 'Crown Court' on TPTV. The channel has now announced that the series won't be back on until later this year. So, desperate to watch some more nostalgia, I decided to try 'Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected' which has recently started a rerun on Sky Arts (this channel is available on Freeview) the other week. The series was originally shown around 1979 but I never watched it then (as a 16 year old, I rarely watched anything on TV other than football) so I've decided to start watching it now.

Sky Arts are showing it in the format of two back-to-back episodes (each lasting 30 minutes) on weekdays in three time slots - 9 am, 1 pm and 6 pm. This includes repeats of the previous day's episodes, so if you've missed one, you only have to wait the next day to see it.

If there is an award for the best opening credit sequence of any TV series, then surely Tales of the Unexpected would win. It's hypnotic the way it opens with sinister images and the way the lead actor's name suddenly flashes up on the screen is chilling.

And as for the stories themselves, they vary in quality from the poor to the outstanding. The best one I've seen so far is 'The Flypaper' which I've just seen at 6.30 pm this evening and should be repeated tomorrow morning. It's really disturbing. Other excellent episodes I've seen have been 'The Hitchhiker' and 'The Umbrella Man'

The series is notable for having included many famous British actors in it, sometimes playing unrelated characters in different episodes. For example, Joan Collins (playing, as one reviewer noted, a similar type of character to the one she has played in films like 'The Stud' and 'The Bitch') and Susan George have both appeared in different episodes in the last fortnight.

The location filming is in itself a good reason to watch the series if you're a nostalgia obsessive like myself. It was filmed mostly in East Anglia (in the episode 'The Hitchhiker' you can see a road sign that says that a new motorway will open in the autumn of 1979) but other parts of the UK can be seen, for example, in 'The Landlady' there is some good footage of Bath, including the ground of Bath Cricket Club which can be seen through the window of a train approaching the station.

I've read on IMDB that later seasons of TOTU in the 1980's were filmed in the US rather than the UK, which is disappointing but I will wait and see how it turns out.

Earlier on in this thread I mentioned how much I had enjoyed watching 'Crown Court' on TPTV. The channel has now announced that the series won't be back on until later this year. So, desperate to watch some more nostalgia, I decided to try 'Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected' which has recently started a rerun on Sky Arts (this channel is available on Freeview) the other week. The series was originally shown around 1979 but I never watched it then (as a 16 year old, I rarely watched anything on TV other than football) so I've decided to start watching it now.

Sky Arts are showing it in the format of two back-to-back episodes (each lasting 30 minutes) on weekdays in three time slots - 9 am, 1 pm and 6 pm. This includes repeats of the previous day's episodes, so if you've missed one, you only have to wait the next day to see it.

If there is an award for the best opening credit sequence of any TV series, then surely Tales of the Unexpected would win. It's hypnotic the way it opens with sinister images and the way the lead actor's name suddenly flashes up on the screen is chilling.

And as for the stories themselves, they vary in quality from the poor to the outstanding. The best one I've seen so far is 'The Flypaper' which I've just seen at 6.30 pm this evening and should be repeated tomorrow morning. It's really disturbing. Other excellent episodes I've seen have been 'The Hitchhiker' and 'The Umbrella Man'

The series is notable for having included many famous British actors in it, sometimes playing unrelated characters in different episodes. For example, Joan Collins (playing, as one reviewer noted, a similar type of character to the one she has played in films like 'The Stud' and 'The Bitch') and Susan George have both appeared in different episodes in the last fortnight.

The location filming is in itself a good reason to watch the series if you're a nostalgia obsessive like myself. It was filmed mostly in East Anglia (in the episode 'The Hitchhiker' you can see a road sign that says that a new motorway will open in the autumn of 1979) but other parts of the UK can be seen, for example, in 'The Landlady' there is some good footage of Bath, including the ground of Bath Cricket Club which can be seen through the window of a train approaching the station.

I've read on IMDB that later seasons of TOTU in the 1980's were filmed in the US rather than the UK, which is disappointing but I will wait and see how it turns out.
I don’t know if you’ve seen Inside Number 9, but it’s a bit of a tribute to things like this and Hammer House of Horror. Can be good, a little patchy.

Back
Top Bottom