What have you been listening to lately?

Blimey that's a name from the past, didn't realise they were still going. I was first introduced to their music when they supported New Order at Finsbury Park in 2002, they were great that day and certainly lifted what was a pretty drenched crowd, it chucked it down pretty much the whole day, only stopping just before New Order took to the stage at about 8pm, so we'd put up with about 7 hours of downpour.
sort of reminicent of Radiohead's South Park gig - though if memory serves, the monsoon conditions happened during Radioheads set

sort of reminicent of Radiohead's South Park gig - though if memory serves, the monsoon conditions happened during Radioheads set
It certainly rained that day...Think it rained heaviest when Beck was on, I can remember thinking that watching an acoustic set in a monsoon wasn't much fun :ROFLMAO:. Worst I have been out in was seeing David Bowie at Lancashire Cricket Ground in the early 2000s, that really rained hard for about 5 hours. Of course it cleared up before the great man himself came on, but when Suede were on beforehand it really was going for it. Dad had one of those old Nokia phones that were nearly indestructible, it died through water damage whilst sat in his pocket. Great days...

Did you have any input into the day at South Park @Sarge? I remember Rock of Travolta opening up and putting a storming set in, am I right in thinking you did some stuff for them back in the day?

Did you have any input into the day at South Park @Sarge? I remember Rock of Travolta opening up and putting a storming set in, am I right in thinking you did some stuff for them back in the day?
That was in the days when I freelanced for the music pages in the Oxford mail - did an interview in the run-in to the gig with Phil Selway , the night before there was a Radiohead themed 'your song' gig at The Point, Holy Roman Empire who I managed, played that one - if memory serves they dod their take on Street Spirit, No Surprises and Pop is Dead ( think they did another Radiohead number as well, which eludes me?)- HRE version of Street Spirit was the only cover version they released,, - it was on their Holy Water Baby ( xmas single) of which there was an Oxford United mix of

Yep Rock of Travolta were excellent openers, remember Henry Littleton, Supergrass, Beck also playing that day, was there anyone else on the bill?

That was in the days when I freelanced for the music pages in the Oxford mail - did an interview in the run-in to the gig with Phil Selway , the night before there was a Radiohead themed 'your song' gig at The Point, Holy Roman Empire who I managed, played that one - if memory serves they dod their take on Street Spirit, No Surprises and Pop is Dead ( think they did another Radiohead number as well, which eludes me?)- HRE version of Street Spirit was the only cover version they released,, - it was on their Holy Water Baby ( xmas single) of which there was an Oxford United mix of

Yep Rock of Travolta were excellent openers, remember Henry Littleton, Supergrass, Beck also playing that day, was there anyone else on the bill?
Only one you've forgotten is Sigur Ros. Fantastic day, I've got the show poster framed in my music room.

1711387052745.png

I went to see Air playing Moon Safari at the London coloseum last night.
I thought they did well to convert a very much studio creaetd album to a live experience with guitars and several keyboards and a drummer, as well as various other electronic gadgets.

What I struggled with was the support act, a DJ who spent 40 minutes taking her head phones on and off, twiddling a few knobs and adjusting a fader or two, repeatedly checking all the wires were plugged in, whilst occasionally disappearing beneath her mixing desk to get another 12" out. As it was entirely seated I didn't see the point as there was no audience dancing along to get any reaction to it.
Went to see John Otway and Wild Willy Barrett last night and they struggled to convert their overproduced studio offerings in the live arena.
Good entertainment though.
Had a mad 5 days of gigs and Speedway, I'll be glad of an early night tonight

The point? It’s ringing a bell but I can’t place it?

I went to see Air playing Moon Safari at the London coloseum last night.
I thought they did well to convert a very much studio creaetd album to a live experience with guitars and several keyboards and a drummer, as well as various other electronic gadgets.

Curious - did they play the album in order? Cos that would seem to be to be a bit of a backwards gig.

I've always thought that La Femme D'Argent is an absolute cracker, and one of the most luxuriously chilled pieces of music ever written - on the occasions I stick that album on (yes, I still have a CD player in my car. I'm old, sue me), I sometimes just end up sticking Track 1 on loop - the next three tracks are fun poppy singles that got a lot of airplay in the late 90s.....and then everything on the album after that is entirely forgettable!

Curious - did they play the album in order? Cos that would seem to be to be a bit of a backwards gig.

I've always thought that La Femme D'Argent is an absolute cracker, and one of the most luxuriously chilled pieces of music ever written - on the occasions I stick that album on (yes, I still have a CD player in my car. I'm old, sue me), I sometimes just end up sticking Track 1 on loop - the next three tracks are fun poppy singles that got a lot of airplay in the late 90s.....and then everything on the album after that is entirely forgettable!
yes was album playthrough in order first
then (from setlist.fm)
Set 2:
Radian
Venus
Cherry Blossom Girl
Run
Highschool Lover
Surfing on a Rocket
Don't Be Light

Encore:
Alone in Kyoto
Electronic Performers
we left at 10pm after set 2 to get train back

Yep The Point, i've noticed that they've been putting on gigs again in there, haven't a clue if its in the same room upstairs

I was down the front for the Staves at the Bully tonight - not exactly ‘lads music’ but their voices really are fantastic.

Ride frontman Mark G was interviewrd on radox around half 1 ish, as well as talking about the new album, tonights gig etc he was also talking about being an OUFC supporter- predicts an away win on sat, and is going to the Lincoln game
Top Bloke.

Ride frontman Mark G was interviewrd on radox around half 1 ish, as well as talking about the new album, tonights gig etc he was also talking about being an OUFC supporter- predicts an away win on sat, and is going to the Lincoln game
On the way to the album launch and acoustic (?) gig at Truck Records .
Should have brought my scarf .

Back
Top Bottom