4th Test Wed 19-23 July 2023 - Emirates Old Trafford

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Awesome bowling from Woakes. We should just ink him in for every Test match in England (but probably never take him on tour).

Don't know what David Warner has to do to get dropped - in his last twenty innings in England, he's managed just two fifties (and nothing above 66). And that's on top of being a proven cheat and a thug (Martin Crowe's words, not mine).

Well England have been excellent again today. I had visions of Stokes declaring 150 - 175 in front, but no! To my surprise and the correct decision was to carry on. Pile on the misery, and get a big lead and create some sort of scoreboard pressure. There is no way Australia will bat out there second innings for a draw, the only way they can achieve a draw is weather, and I think there is going to be enough time to get them out, especially with over head conditions favouring our seam bowlers. It’s going to be 2-2 going to the Oval. That 5th test is going to be a cracker. England favourites to win the Ashes right now. The ball turns at the Oval, and with Nathan Lyon out, I can’t see Murphy coming in and delivering the same quality of spin. What an opportunity for England.

Smith is taking the P**s with his constant glove changing - every few overs!

The Aussies will waste as much time as possible.

If Root’s catch wasn’t a catch (which it probably wasn’t) then Smith’s earlier in the series shouldn’t have been either.

Smith gone... now lets have a couple more before CoP

Well England have been excellent again today. I had visions of Stokes declaring 150 - 175 in front, but no! To my surprise and the correct decision was to carry on. Pile on the misery, and get a big lead and create some sort of scoreboard pressure. There is no way Australia will bat out there second innings for a draw, the only way they can achieve a draw is weather, and I think there is going to be enough time to get them out, especially with over head conditions favouring our seam bowlers. It’s going to be 2-2 going to the Oval. That 5th test is going to be a cracker. England favourites to win the Ashes right now. The ball turns at the Oval, and with Nathan Lyon out, I can’t see Murphy coming in and delivering the same quality of spin. What an opportunity for England.

Love the optimism - but have you seen the latest from the Met Office?

From 11am on Saturday, the next time it gets below an 80% chance of rain is 7pm on Sunday.

Course they've been wrong plenty before......but seeing that, I would've been trying to give us a chance to win the game today. Which would've meant declaring 150-175 in front.

We've got, what, sixteen more overs to go tonight? Unless we can get three more wickets, we're going to need at least a full session of play over the weekend to wrap this up. And we've got an extra 100 runs on the board that we really didn't need.......

Awesome bowling from Woakes. We should just ink him in for every Test match in England (but probably never take him on tour).

Don't know what David Warner has to do to get dropped - in his last twenty innings in England, he's managed just two fifties (and nothing above 66). And that's on top of being a proven cheat and a thug (Martin Crowe's words, not mine).
Buy some sandpaper!!

got him - Head gone for 1 ... another wicket for Wood, c'mon England

Well, nothing to do now expect pray to the weather gods.

If we get three hours plus of play over the weekend, then I think we'll win.

If we don't then the Ashes are gone. And that's going to be a real sickener given that we've been the better team over the balance of the four Tests so far........

If we don't then the Ashes are gone. And that's going to be a real sickener given that we've been the better team over the balance of the four Tests so far........
It will be our own fault really though, how we contrived to lose at Edgbaston I'll never know.

Warner and Smith have faces that even their own mothers couldn’t love and personality’s to match, been lovely watching those two arrogant, smug, cheating C***s struggle, hope they cry again.

As much as I don’t ever want to see Warner again I do hope Australia keep picking him though, he can’t bat over here.

Thought Bairstow bounced back beautifully today. In a way I felt he owed us that innings today, and it was a pleasure to watch him bat like we know he can.

@tonyw I think that fourth wicket really helps matters massively. I do still believe we have enough time over the weekend to get 6 Aussie wickets. Cloud cover and rainy conditions will help the seamers. Especially Anderson on his home track. The ball will swing all over the place hopefully.

Yes the weather looks to be incredibly poor, let’s see what happens, and I agree we’ve been the best side over the four test matches. That strange but aggressive declaration on the first day in the first test make come back to haunt us.

Just had a look at the BBC weather forecast for Manchester.

Today (Saturday) looks like a complete wash out, with a huge amount of rain overnight to follow. That in itself will take some time to drain away, and mop up afterwards.

However tomorrow there does appear to be a small window of opportunity roughly between 14.00 and 17.00 to get some play.

It’s a big ask and we’re going to need an early wicket or two, but I bet Stokes and his team believe it‘s possible.

Broad to have one of his ‘spells’?
Anderson comes to the party on his last Test Match at Old Trafford?
Woakes to continue his amazing record in English conditions?
Wood to send down 90mph rockets and mop up the tail?

You can be sure the Aussies will waste as much time as possible, the umpires need to be on their mettle!

Just had a look at the BBC weather forecast for Manchester.

Today (Saturday) looks like a complete wash out, with a huge amount of rain overnight to follow. That in itself will take some time to drain away, and mop up afterwards.

However tomorrow there does appear to be a small window of opportunity roughly between 14.00 and 17.00 to get some play.

It’s a big ask and we’re going to need an early wicket or two, but I bet Stokes and his team believe it‘s possible.

Broad to have one of his ‘spells’?
Anderson comes to the party on his last Test Match at Old Trafford?
Woakes to continue his amazing record in English conditions?
Wood to send down 90mph rockets and mop up the tail?

You can be sure the Aussies will waste as much time as possible, the umpires need to be on their mettle!
The umpires, ground staff and weather gods need to be on their mettle.
England have been fantastic in this match so far and they so deserve to go into that final Test at 2-2

Back
Top Bottom