Wales Vs Denmark

001 Taxis - 10% discount for forum members
It doesn't really matter because Wales were vastly inferior to Denmark all game....

....but I think the ref has made up the rules there.

It wasn't serious foul play (he was never going to injure the player with an ankle tap), it wasn't violent conduct, and it didn't deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity.

It was textbook unsporting behaviour.....which is a yellow card offense.

It doesn't really matter because Wales were vastly inferior to Denmark all game....

It wasn't serious foul play (he was never going to injure the player with an ankle tap), it wasn't violent conduct, and it didn't deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity.

just to tell people, Denmark beat Wales twice over recent years, and were clear favourites with the bookies. 2/9 on, Wales were 9/2.

There are multiple challenges like this a game. It’s a cynical foul, but unless you’re the last man and he’s clean through on goal it’s never a red. Clear yellow but a straight red?! Impossible.
Yep agree it's not a red. However, i'm just pointing out if you intentionally foul someone, first and foremost it is the player who commits the fouls that runs the risk of it being interpreted as a red. Therefore in my view I have no sympathy with him. Intentionally foul someone like that you run the risk of injuring the player.

I'm a bit disappointed with Wales there. They weren't quite composed from the start. They needed to take advantage of those early chances to influence the shape of the game and they didn't. Denmark were like a machine.

Off to bed now (son's game kicks off in 6 hours). I'm hoping to wake to news of a surprise Austrian victory.

I don't think it was a red but foul someone in full flight you always run the risk of causing an injury.

The pundits just showed an image showing the ball blatantly in from Braithwaite before the goal and then said it looked out.

No attempt to play the ball I think you should be sent off .
When you get a yellow for a slightly mistimed challenge but are trying to get the ball it seems not enough to have the same punishment to me.
Maybe a 10 min sin bin ?

Taught a lesson today were Wales.

They looked tired and were moved around by a much better Danish side. Ramsey barely turned up and they simply didn’t create anything of note.

It’s a result that exposes even more how crap Turkey were. Wales beat them with ease and Denmark - who lost two games in their group - dispatch Wales without much of a sweat.

If we’re talking about risking injuring a player, when a player is flying down the wing and the defender comes sliding in from the side, smashes the ball away and then takes the player we all applaud it as fans and it’s not even a foul. Yet that’s far, far more likely to injure a player than a little trip.

If we’re talking about risking injuring a player, when a player is flying down the wing and the defender comes sliding in from the side, smashes the ball away and then takes the player we all applaud it as fans and it’s not even a foul. Yet that’s far, far more likely to injure a player than a little trip.
Its a contact sport and that has always been a possibility. Its unfortunate but part of the game.
A cynical foul with no intention to play the ball surely deserves punishment more than a yellow?

A cynical foul with no intention to play the ball surely deserves punishment more than a yellow?

You can make that argument - but it's not what the rules of the game say at the moment.
They say possible sending off offenses are the following:
  • denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)
  • denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)
  • serious foul play
  • biting or spitting at someone
  • violent conduct
  • using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or action(s)
  • receiving a second caution in the same match
  • entering the video operation room (VOR) (this is obviously a new one!)
So the only one the Wales tackle could even possibly fall under is Serious Foul Play - but that is defined as:
A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality

That's a serious, serious stretch for today's tackle. If that counted as serious foul play, there would have to be multiple red cards a game.

Wilson was being a petulant t**t, and we all want to see petulant twats get what they deserve.....but the refs still have to follow the rules, and this one didn't.

You can make that argument - but it's not what the rules of the game say at the moment.
They say possible sending off offenses are the following:
  • denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)
  • denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)
  • serious foul play
  • biting or spitting at someone
  • violent conduct
  • using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or action(s)
  • receiving a second caution in the same match
  • entering the video operation room (VOR) (this is obviously a new one!)
So the only one the Wales tackle could even possibly fall under is Serious Foul Play - but that is defined as:
A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality

That's a serious, serious stretch for today's tackle. If that counted as serious foul play, there would have to be multiple red cards a game.

Wilson was being a petulant t**t, and we all want to see petulant twats get what they deserve.....but the refs still have to follow the rules, and this one didn't.
I wasn't quoting the actual rules just my personal thoughts on how fouls are 'graded. If just 'taking out ' a player with no intent to take the ball needs, in my opinion , to warrant a more severe punishment.

Taught a lesson today were Wales.

They looked tired and were moved around by a much better Danish side. Ramsey barely turned up and they simply didn’t create anything of note.

It’s a result that exposes even more how crap Turkey were. Wales beat them with ease and Denmark - who lost two games in their group - dispatch Wales without much of a sweat.
I'm 99% sure that the travelling has had a lot to do with the scoreline, NFL coaches are obsessed with the amount of travelling their team do compared with other teams, and to have Baku as one of the host cities was ridiculous. But Denmark are overall a better team than Wales and I'm sure Denmark would still have gone through if Wales had been based in Rome and played all their matches in Rome.

Last edited:
I'm 99% that the travelling has had a lot to do with the scoreline, NFL coaches are obsessed with the amount of travelling their team do compared with other teams, and to have Baku as one of the host cities was ridiculous. But Denmark are overall a better team than Wales and I'm sure Denmark would still have gone through if Wales had been based in Rome and played all their matches in Rome.

99% is a bit strong but it should be a consideration. That can’t have been easy on anyone in Group A.

I had high hopes of a good open game in the first half.
However Wales faded away as it went on.
Conceding the second goal so early in the second half was a body blow that sucked the fight right out of them.
Credit to Denmark, who were creative and positive. Going forward with purpose.
In fairness, Wales’ ill discipline late on could have seen them concede more.

Wales were well beaten.

I'm still not sure I understand all the international travel involved in this tournament. With the current pandemic raging, would it not have been a better idea to have based the whole thing either just in one country that has sufficient stadia (the UK, Germany, France Spain, Italy for example) or even in 2 or 3 geographically adjacent countries (the Benlux or Scandinavian countries for example)? And why have matches been played in Azerbaijan of all places?

Back
Top Bottom