Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

Can’t blame MM for going to what is a bigger and better club - no point leaving Peterborough if you’re going to join Oxford. Really hope we’ve got something better than a flimsy untried youth player lined up though.

Charlton a bigger and better club?! No way

Fair play to Spasov getting a loan at that level. He must be seen as miles ahead of Lopes in his development?

Fair play to Spasov getting a loan at that level. He must be seen as miles ahead of Lopes in his development?

I think it was more a case of Oxford not knowing if the NL was actually going to start as the NL had said they would only start with crowds. I believe only with the expected bailout has it become very likely the NL would start, before that more clubs were against starting I think. So as the club had definite interest in Lopes from Biggleswade Town, it was better to get him out and playing even if at a lower level imo. He can go out on loan higher up later on, assuming interest, as NL clubs can sign players (permanently or on loan) anytime upto March (not sure of the exact date). I reckon NL clubs will be loaning more players this season as many have signed smaller squads in the main after slashing the wage budget (for example, Barnet have almost halved theirs iirc).

I think it was more a case of Oxford not knowing if the NL was actually going to start as the NL had said they would only start with crowds. I believe only with the expected bailout has it become very likely the NL would start, before that more clubs were against starting I think. So as the club had definite interest in Lopes from Biggleswade Town, it was better to get him out and playing even if at a lower level imo. He can go out on loan higher up later on, assuming interest, as NL clubs can sign players (permanently or on loan) anytime upto March (not sure of the exact date). I reckon NL clubs will be loaning more players this season as many have signed smaller squads in the main after slashing the wage budget (for example, Barnet have almost halved theirs iirc).
There is little chance that the season below the Championship will finish - or at least be completed in its entirety without a lengthy break and reduced fixture list - and even less chance for football below the EFL.

Financial support packages might tempt a handful of NL clubs to finally sign a few players, but many of them know full well that inside 6-8 weeks it might all be shut down again, and they won’t want to be left paying an increased wage bill during that time.

As an aside, the Woking fans I've seen comments from seem really pleased Napa has signed for them. He must have really impressed when playing as a trialist in the 2 games.

MM has a resale value. Potentially millions in a short period of time. A loan doesnt. We cant keep selling players (baptise/fosu/dickie) etc and not replacing them with assets.

Exactly, its so easy to say we dodged a bullet regarding a player who is top drawer, simple excuses. He was a player who would have made a difference to our season.
With the reliance on loans will we ever have a squad that doesnt get disbanded season after season and have to bring in 8 to 10 players and start all over again.

Exactly that. We have a solid mid-table squad, which is absolutely fine in the circumstances. Being prudent is fine. What you cant do of course is say you are going for it/putting last season right/bringing in exciting players, and then, well, not really.

Or promise things such as the best this league will see, then let such a player go to a rival who genuinly will be going for it.
Theres been enough spin over the years regarding our potential transfers.

The way i see this is that KR wanted MM to sign. He wouldnt have training with us otherwise but the board have blocked the signing for whatever reason. Bet KR is fuming.

I think that anyone who imagines we are going to 'go for it' this season (whatever the soundbites from the club) after the start of this second wave and the restrictions that are coming in, with winter still to come, is deluding themselves.

The season may or may not finish, it is looking increasingly unlikely that there will be crowds of any sort in the stadium (and even then they will be ST holders who have already paid) until March at the earliest - revenues will be vastly reduced. I think this season is about survival, both in L1 and as a club in its current form.

Realistically if we start the NEXT season (i.e August next year) in L1, in front of a full stadium, as a going concern - I think that's probably going to be a decent outcome, and any excitement we get this season is going to have to be seen as a bonus.

I think that anyone who imagines we are going to 'go for it' this season (whatever the soundbites from the club) after the start of this second wave and the restrictions that are coming in, with winter still to come, is deluding themselves.

The season may or may not finish, it is looking increasingly unlikely that there will be crowds of any sort in the stadium (and even then they will be ST holders who have already paid) until March at the earliest - revenues will be vastly reduced. I think this season is about survival, both in L1 and as a club in its current form.

Realistically if we start the NEXT season (i.e August next year) in L1, in front of a full stadium, as a going concern - I think that's probably going to be a decent outcome, and any excitement we get this season is going to have to be seen as a bonus.
I don't want to hit like. Yet, agree with you

Middlesbrough set to sign Patrick Roberts. Pushes Browne even further down the pecking order..

The way i see this is that KR wanted MM to sign. He wouldnt have training with us otherwise but the board have blocked the signing for whatever reason. Bet KR is fuming.
Wild speculation or do you have any genuine intelligence on this?

Back
Top Bottom