Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

All things considered (vote, season start date, KRs comments about wanting players in soon) - it feels very quiet. Links have dried up.

In all honesty, I think those who expect a promotion push next season might be in for a shock. I think it could take us a couple of seasons to adapt to this salary cap - same with a few clubs in this league (Pompey, Sunderland, Ipswich etc). I'm sure everyone at the club is praying it doesn't get passed through on Thursday but it's looking pretty likely as it could be a great thing for smaller clubs.

We're probably only looking at three or four more signings - probably all on loan - at most unless we can act fast in the next couple of days.

Expect a shock within the next few days

In all honesty, I think those who expect a promotion push next season might be in for a shock. I think it could take us a couple of seasons to adapt to this salary cap - same with a few clubs in this league (Pompey, Sunderland, Ipswich etc). I'm sure everyone at the club is praying it doesn't get passed through on Thursday but it's looking pretty likely as it could be a great thing for smaller clubs.

We're probably only looking at three or four more signings - probably all on loan - at most unless we can act fast in the next couple of days.
Where did you buy this crystal ball from?

Asking for a friend.

The table going to start at 7th next season then?

Interesting comments from Neil Warnock. Not neccessarily thinking about Browne here - more so his view of the transfer market generally.

Middlesbrough boss Neil Warnock believes player exchanges will be commonplace in the transfer market this summer as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

"I think clubs are more concerned with getting rid of players off the wage bill and players that they thought were valued at this six months ago or a year ago are probably worthless now or free transfers," said Warnock.

"There's not a lot of money around but they're still demanding figures for better players, you know some of the ones you want.

"I think there will be a lot of player exchanges this year if I'm honest. Player exchanges and people coming off the wage bill to cut the big earners.

"So it will be interesting. Even here we aren't the highest payers in the league by any means now and we have to cut our cloth accordingly and that doesn't bother me really.

"We try to get value for money but at the same time Steve (Gibson) knows I want to be successful so he's doing the best he can to give me the tools to do that."

Clubs spending within their means would require a percentage of revenue / turnover being capped, rather than a flat number that’s applicable to both Sunderland and Accrington, despite one of them regularly getting crowds more than ten times the size of the other. Otherwise you’re just spending within other people’s means.

But isn't a percentage what FFP tried and failed to implement? More nuances mean more loopholes.

I have little sympathy with the argument that Pompey and Sunderland should be crying that they have to recognise a healthy profit and develop some players instead of buying their way back up.

I also think I find our current situation more precarious than most on here. What happens to OUFC if Tiger says he doesnt fancy fronting the money for our losses next season?

But isn't a percentage what FFP tried and failed to implement? More nuances mean more loopholes.

I have little sympathy with the argument that Pompey and Sunderland should be crying that they have to recognise a healthy profit and develop some players instead of buying their way back up.

I also think I find our current situation more precarious than most on here. What happens to OUFC if Tiger says he doesnt fancy fronting the money for our losses next season?
Does Tiger front all of those losses? Dont we aim to recoup said losses from the sale of players?

Does Tiger front all of those losses? Dont we aim to recoup said losses from the sale of players?
Yes we aim to recoup, but someone has to pay the bills before the fees come in. According to our 2019 accounts, we owed more than £10m to Group companies.

What if we spend money on two or three young players but none of them develop into the next Rob Dickie or Gavin Whyte to sell on?

Back
Top Bottom