Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

Doesn’t that apply to all players, regardless of age? I know goalies are criticised more than most so I do agree with your point. One mistake can cost the team a game. Midfielders can often get away with it. However, let’s use Henry as an example; his confidence has been completely shot, since the play off final. Has he recovered? I don’t think so.
It does affect all players but as you say goalkeepers more.
Henry is gradually getting back but Eastwood's mistakes have massively affected his confidence.
My point really is that Stevens has been fantastic since he came into the team. He has not done much wrong ( and when he has the breaks have gone his way.
But nobody quite knows yet how he will cope with a couple of mistakes. Hopefully he has massive self confidence and will shrug off any downturns

No, you just sound as though you are preparing the ground for him to fail.
I am really not sure what I say has a remote influence in what us going to happen.
I hope that he carries on the way he is playing for as long as possible.
Maybe I am not making my point clearly enough!!

It does affect all players but as you say goalkeepers more.
Henry is gradually getting back but Eastwood's mistakes have massively affected his confidence.
My point really is that Stevens has been fantastic since he came into the team. He has not done much wrong ( and when he has the breaks have gone his way.
But nobody quite knows yet how he will cope with a couple of mistakes. Hopefully he has massive self confidence and will shrug off any downturns
I think Stevens looks a completely different standard, compared to the Eastwood we now know. Eastwood had popadoms for hands. His display at Charlton was surreal...

I know it has only been for a brief spell compared to Eastwoods tenure, but Jack seems to be a lot more commanding in the box, his shot stopping is good and he is much more vocal when it comes to the back four. I know he is by no means the finished product and his kicking needs improving but I would hope this run in the team, gives him all of the confidence he needs in order to shrug off any minor blips.

Doesn't signing a new keeper depend almost entirely on what the club and Easty decide to do? We aren't going to sign anyone if Easty is here until the end of the season, if he moves on then we will have to. Surely it's as simple as that?

It astounds me why more clubs at our level don’t bring in premier league fourth- or fifth-choice keepers, at least on loan. They never get game time so would be a good addition at a club like United.

It astounds me why more clubs at our level don’t bring in premier league fourth- or fifth-choice keepers, at least on loan. They never get game time so would be a good addition at a club like United.
Well they'd have to be youngsters or they'd take up one of the senior slots. And it is an extra cost for a position where you very rarely need more than two keepers in a season (and can emergency loan one in if you need to). If you meant *instead* of one of those two keepers, then I'm not sure a Prem keeper (no matter how far down the pecking order) would swap not playing at a Prem club for not playing at a L1 club, so if they came they'd have to be the number one and then you aren't developing your own keeper.

Thinking about it over the weekend - the issue we have is that while we definitely do need to bring in another CB to replace Mous this window, otherwise we're screwed if anything happens to Moore or Atkinson, we can't promise that player any regular football other than the tinpot trophy (which could be just one more game)

Given how good Moore and Atkinson are starting to look, their age and potential, and the fact that we're not certain but very likely to be playing in this division again next season, those two should be automatic selections for the rest of the year barring injury or suspension.

If we can find a Charlie Raglan type that will do a job, collect a wage and not kick up too much of a fuss about a lack of game time, great. But that might be tough to find in the January window (unless it's someone who's not been able to find a club since the summer - in which case you worry whether they can still play).

So I think a youngster with potential (and a bit more experience and game time than Nico Jones) coming down from the big academies or up from non-league is probably the logical move......
If were likely to sell atkinson or moore in the summer then i hope a suitable replacement is brought in now. Think shosho stated atkinson was turning heads.

Stevens has done exceptionally well so far , he will make mistakes but with the coaching team supporting him and no doubt Easty as well given more games I'm sure he will continue to develop.
In a few months I think we will be amazed that we were ever doubting his ability although as Foley states you never know .

Stevens if he carries on this form which everything i have seen suggests he will, must be up there for player of the year. Our season has turned around since he has come in.

If were likely to sell atkinson or moore in the summer then i hope a suitable replacement is brought in now. Think shosho stated atkinson was turning heads.
If we sell Atkinson at the end of his first season with us then we have officially lost the effing plot! Neither Moore, nor Atkinson should be sold. Judging on his first half of a season with us, Atkinson is looking miles better than Dickie did at this stage..

Last edited:
I really hope that you are right but Stevens is a very young keeper and all keepers' forms dip at some stage.
De Gea, Hart, Pickford ( the latter two were excellent young keepers)
With young players you just don't know how they will cope when inevitably they make a couple of mistakes.
He’s 23, older than Rob Atkinson, the same age as Elliott Moore and only one year younger than Cameron Brannagan.

He’s inexperienced at League One level but he’s not very young for a footballer.

He’s 23, older than Rob Atkinson, the same age as Elliott Moore and only one year younger than Cameron Brannagan.

He’s inexperienced at League One level but he’s not very young for a footballer.
Can’t compare outfield to keepers though. Keepers peak way later. Stevens is growing in to a top draw keeper. Only have to look at Pym who Exeter sold to Peterborough

You’d be surprised how much they are actually utilised at Prem level (for training) so while you’re right they don’t get much game time, they earn their money on the training pitch

But he is very young for a goalkeeper.

Can’t compare outfield to keepers though. Keepers peak way later. Stevens is growing in to a top draw keeper. Only have to look at Pym who Exeter sold to Peterborough
Bit different.
Peterborough signed him on a free when he was 24 having played over 150 games since making his debut aged 19.
Interestingly he had no loan spells away from Exeter at any point.

Stevens is 23 and has played 15(+1) first team games for OUFC (7+1 league, 6 tinpot, 1 FA Cup, 1 League Cup) so far.

But, Stevens is well ahead of Max Crocombe, perhaps the last youth keeper we had hopes for. Crocombe played 6 games in total (4 league, 2 league cup) before leaving for Carlisle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom