Transfer News Transfer window 2020/21

Luke Thomas from Barnsley is a 21 year old winger without much game time this season. Might be what we are after

I read somewhere a while back Lee Johnson was looking at him when he was a Bristol C. We might well have competition from Sunderland if we do for him.
His problem is that he has players ahead of him, so needs game time. Might be a loan.
I have heard from a friend that he rated him when he saw him play a while back

I’ve seen his name mentioned a few times. Any idea if he’s any good or not?
I mentioned him a few days ago. A decent prospect who was in the youth set up at Derby when Craig Short was there before moving to Barnsley. Hasn't played much for them but had a season on loan at Coventry and did well with 4 or 5 goals in 40 odd games. Appears to have strengthened up a little and would be a good addition to our squad (probably replacing Sykes). I'd guess that he may come on loan with view to doing a deal in the summer, but all speculation at this stage.

Thomas was first linked with us about 2 to 3 weeks ago by Gloucestershire Live (started at Cheltenham before signing for Derby as a 16 year old).

2 main targets should be.

1. A young PL / Champ centre back on a long deal to compete with Moore & Atkinson.

2. A quality winger who offers us pace off either side. Nathan Holland on loan would be my pick if Gavin Whyte stays at Cardiff.
This. I am not sure that we need 4 players?
We definitely need cover at CB in case either of our CBs are injured.
Also a Browne/ Whyte kind of wide man.
My other main concern is upfront. Winnall is weeks away from being match fit and if Taylor is injured I am not sure that Agyei is up to being the main striker.

How long before one of the following happen? You could almost make a bingo card out of it:

KR says...
1. "we want to do our business early"
2. "signing is imminent, maybe even before tomorrow/next match"
3. "we need four players in this window"
4. "actually, it's looking more like two players"
5. "we were looking at two players, but now we have to look elsewhere"
6. "the end of the window is looming, the board have to back me"
7. "all the centre backs we were looking for, the clubs were asking for silly money"
7. "XYZ is an exciting left winger and we're looking forward to seeing what he can do"
is this better than saying nothing though?

Jack Stevens is playing out of his skin right now, and will surely stay in the first eleven for a while.
I wonder whether Simon Eastwood will get a chance to go on loan. That may mean we have to get a keeper in.

There's a difference between what we need and what we want in this transfer window.

We need a centre back. I've heard that we're looking at an established player at league 2 level who's out of contract in the summer as well as a couple of prospects in the Rob Atkinson mould. If we assume that Mous will not play much (or at all if taking off the squad numbers) then an established player may be the best option, but I wouldn't rule out also bringing a younger player in and loaning them back out as well.

We have options but I think that we need a right sided player with Henry out of contract in the summer and Sykes out of favour. We've got Clare who has done much better further forward, but he also needs to cover for Long. I think Luke Thomas could be that player if we're looking long term development, but Gavin Whyte would be a great quick fix.

We needed to replace Joel Cooper, but with Obita and Shodipo I think we've found that replacement. But KR loves a winger and someone like (but unlikely to be) Marcus Browne would give us multiple options across the front three.

Midfield is looking OK, and much better with Brannagan and Hanson back in. But I think we may look to bring in a longer term addition. This may be signing Kelly on a permanent deal, or looking at a player similar to Woodburn who can play in the hole behind Taylor/Winnall. This is a position that Hall has looked OK in, but isn't at the standard we need long term.

Beyond that, I could see us looking at an upgrade on Agyei. There's talent there but I'm not sure we've seen enough to get him a contract extension in the summer, and it may be worth a gamble on a quick and direct striker with a better end product. Of course, it really will be a gamble and there's no guarantee that we'd improve on what we already have, but sometimes you have to take a chance and see what happens.

There's a difference between what we need and what we want in this transfer window.

We need a centre back. I've heard that we're looking at an established player at league 2 level who's out of contract in the summer as well as a couple of prospects in the Rob Atkinson mould. If we assume that Mous will not play much (or at all if taking off the squad numbers) then an established player may be the best option, but I wouldn't rule out also bringing a younger player in and loaning them back out as well.

We have options but I think that we need a right sided player with Henry out of contract in the summer and Sykes out of favour. We've got Clare who has done much better further forward, but he also needs to cover for Long. I think Luke Thomas could be that player if we're looking long term development, but Gavin Whyte would be a great quick fix.

We needed to replace Joel Cooper, but with Obita and Shodipo I think we've found that replacement. But KR loves a winger and someone like (but unlikely to be) Marcus Browne would give us multiple options across the front three.

Midfield is looking OK, and much better with Brannagan and Hanson back in. But I think we may look to bring in a longer term addition. This may be signing Kelly on a permanent deal, or looking at a player similar to Woodburn who can play in the hole behind Taylor/Winnall. This is a position that Hall has looked OK in, but isn't at the standard we need long term.

Beyond that, I could see us looking at an upgrade on Agyei. There's talent there but I'm not sure we've seen enough to get him a contract extension in the summer, and it may be worth a gamble on a quick and direct striker with a better end product. Of course, it really will be a gamble and there's no guarantee that we'd improve on what we already have, but sometimes you have to take a chance and see what happens.

Henry isn't out of contract in the summer, he signed a new 3 year contract last season, early in 2020 iirc.

That winger could still be Gavin Whyte as he has played left wing (including for Northern Ireland iirc) before so could play across the line if necessary.

Last edited:

Theres also a difference in what is available.

Since the new squad cap rules, clever clubs will have been loading up on scouting U23s. Firstly, theres a surplus in big academies with no pathway. Secondly they are efficient in the cap.

In my mind, we should be going down the Brannagan/Dickie route in adding some 18-21 talent.

Players that we develop will demand higher fees due to brexit and the availability of incoming players (within the EFL) - teams in the championship will be forced to take players from League One/Two.

The only hiccup is the squad stress at the minute with fixture congestion and injuries....this past weekend saw loads of youth team players padding out benches that wouldn't be near the first team otherwise.

Dont think we would get Marcus Browne, scored equaliser for Boro at Wycombe on Saturday, said it was special after losing to that lot in the playoff final last season, looks like he may have got himself back in Warnocks 11 after returning from injury.

Henry isn't out of contract in the summer, he signed a new 3 year contract last season, early in 2020 iirc.
James Henry signed a new two year contract in 2019. It was very carefully worded so that they called it a two year contract, rather than a one year extension. He’s out of contract this summer, 2021.

James Henry signed a new two year contract in 2019. It was very carefully worded so that they called it a two year contract, rather than a one year extension. He’s out of contract this summer, 2021.

With an option for another year:

According to EFL Zone on Twitter (not sure of their legitimacy?) QPR are looking at taking Shodipo back in January..

Back
Top Bottom